The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote Payne. The design is from an older book "Two Hour Christmas Projects".

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Playing With Technique

About 1991 or so, a quilting friend made the "Sailors" design from the Red Wagon book "Collections One".  Here is a picture of the quilt from the book.

I was intrigued by the sailors but was told the block design was fussy and tricky to make.  The block required templates to make it.  I tried making one block without success.  I had started piecing quilts in 1990 and my skills still needed improvement.  Many years later, I decided to attempt again to make one block.  I started with the head section and did not like the look of the sailor's hat and stopped.  I thought about the design some and thought it might be possible for me to get a nicer look using applique.  Finally, a couple weeks ago, I pulled the book out and decided to play with the design and was able to come up with a way to be successful with applique.  This time, I cut the hat in one piece instead of three.  I used a Judy Rothermel flag print and by placing the freezer paper template carefully, I was able to come up with a similar look of the original.  Here is my block.

I enjoyed making the block but decided I needed additional seam allowance for future blocks.  I made four more blocks having fun selecting fabrics for each one.  Those blocks have gone off to a friend and I forgot to take a picture before mailing them.  So no picture to share at this time.

Love those old Red Wagon books and so many of the designs within.


Thursday, November 30, 2017

Early American Life Block Two

Block two for the "Early American Life" pattern.  I was about to forget that today is the scheduled day for Cathy and myself to share out blocks.  I chose to applique the triangles onto the basket rather than piece the units and then applique the whole to the background.  Cathy has eliminated the triangles for a more simple approach.  She has her block posted on her blog and can be seen here.

I have been doing a lot of applique but it is not something I can share yet.

It is going to be in the low 80's today.  Certainly not the kind of weather to make a person think about working on Christmas projects or Christmas shopping.


Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Early American Life

Cathy and I have begun working on a new project.  We plan to share a block on the 15th and 30th of each month.  The pattern has 16 blocks.  We are using an older pattern called "Early American Life" which was designed by The Country Quilter.  Pattern is no longer available.  This is what it looks like.

My first block is one of two different style Thistle blocks in the pattern set.  I am attempting to use what I have in stash though I purchased the background fabric.  The fabric is one of the Di Ford fabrics.

If you have the time, pay Cathy's blog a visit and see her block.


Monday, November 13, 2017


I was going to wait until this wall hanging was quilted to share a picture but there is too much going on at this time of year for me to quilt it any time soon.  I was inspired by Cathy's piece that she did and you can see it here.  The design is by Alma Allen and found in a book titled "Homespun Hearth" by Jan Patek.   The design I used is called "Blackbird".  I added a border to it to make a wall hanging.

I have had the basket print fabric for a good while.  I used it for color inpiration pulling the tan out for the background and the red for the flower.  And, of course, the blackbird needed to be black.  The black stripe makes a nice inner border.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.  I will be prepping and stitching applique blocks today.


Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Fern Rose

I came across some applique blocks I made quite some time ago.  I don't know why they got set aside as all were done.  I decided to put the top together before they got lost in the shuffle again.  I used a toile for the sashings between the blocks.  I then pieced bunches of hour glass blocks in reds and off white fabrics.  I should have over size cut them but did not.  I may have had better luck getting borders to fit had I trimmed them to size after piecing.  I ended up tossing all the blocks in the waste basket and going with a red print for the border.  I will use a red binding after it is quilted.

The pattern I used is called "Fern Rose" and was designed by Alma Allen.  It is found in their book "Nuts and Berries".  It is 54 inches wide by 66 inches long.  I would rather do blocks of different designs instead of repeat but changing the fabrics for each block kept it from being boring.  And the applique was not hard to do.


Monday, October 30, 2017

Flowers Quilt Top

I have the "flowers" quilt top together.  I thought it would be easier than it was to sew together.  There are two sizes of half square triangles.  The size does fit the block size without the use of spacers.  Also, it was a bit confusing trying to get the triangle units turned the correct direction.  I was able to pin the top to my design wall for the photos.

Some close up pictures of different sections of the quilt.

Cathy has her top done and you can see it here.  We have selected another pattern to work on so stay tuned for our next quilt project.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Last of Linda Brannock "Flowers" Blocks

Two blocks this time made using Linda Brannock's "Flowers" pattern.  First is the Pineapple block.

And the second one is the "Marigolds and Blueberries".

The marigold block, though simple in style, took a bit of time to stitch with all the curves.  I like the design very much.

Cathy has her blocks done and you can see them herehttp://wwwbiglakequilter.blogspot.com/2017/10/last-two-again.html.  We plan on having the quilt top to a finished stage (not quilted) on October 30th.