QUILT INFO

I used an Electric Quilt applique design and modified it slightly to make this basket block.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

FOUR SEEMS TO BE THE MAGIC NUMBER

It is a cloudy and cool day in central coastal Florida. It is about 60 degrees. I know that is not cool to some of you. Especially those who might have had to shovel snow today. It is supposed to warm back up to 70 tomorrow. Typical Florida January weather. We are getting a new furnace and air conditioning unit on Thursday. The furnace has decided it doesn't want to work too hard. It is taking some manual manipulation to get it going.

Picasa will only let me import four photos. I have more to show you but they will have to wait for another day. I didn't spend as much time on importing the photos today. I also have written down what I did, so I will remember. That is, if I don't lose the paper I wrote it on!

The first two photos are of blocks from the Christmas quilt I am working on. The crow will get a button eye after the quilting is done. I added a wing to the pattern. No changes were made in the Santa block. The applique is going well. I think I can put the bottom section together this week. I don't know why I focused on the bottom section. I am trying to get the harder blocks out of the way.

The next two photos are of an angel quilt I did quite some time ago. I have two pie safe type cabinets in the living room in which I store & display quilts. I have been in an "angel mood" so I have three angel quilts on display. The quilt block used is the "Tennessee Waltz" along with a "Snowball" block. It was a mystery quilt my quilt guild did. When I got it sewn, I decided it was a bit boring. The Snowball block left empty space that was perfect for the angel to be added. The angel has dimensional red hair added. I am sorry that I cannot remember where I found the pattern for the angel. Adding the hair and facial features was my idea.

I am trying to clean up the sewing room some as we have company coming this weekend. I don't think it will get too organzied but walking in there right now can be dangerous! Too many projects out at one time. I can no longer stand to cut out quilt pieces because of back pain and a knee replacement. I work on a small table by my sewing machine. When I start a quilt project, I go around the room and pull fabric selections from all the cubicles and then lay them on the floor beside my work table. They can get pretty messy before I am done. I think my way of working would drive most people nuts but it works for me.

The company coming is my friend Karen, her husband, and grand-child. They will only be here two nights, so Karen and I cannot get into too much trouble. We like to go to thrift shops, quilt stores, antique malls, etc. but there will not be time. That will make our husbands happy. I usually plan a sewing project for us but there won't be time this trip. I do have a handwork project we can stitch on while we catch up on life.

Saturday is my day to get together with quilting friends for a morning of stitching and then out to lunch. Karen was part of the group until she moved to Houston. She is really looking forward to being in town on the Saturday group day get-together. There are about 9 or 10 of us in the group. We love sharing friendship and quilting. We have had so many fun activities. We meet once a month. The members are scattered around central Florida. I live farther away than most of the members. I guess the farthest I drive for a get-together is about 90 miles. It is well worth the drive! There is usually lots of show'n'tell. It varies as to whether we have a planned activity or if we bring stitching to work on. I will be showing you photos of the group later on and some of the actitivies.

Until next time......hve a great day!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Love your Christmas blocks - the crow looks so cute with his Santa hat. Your little angels are also very sweet - remind me of my sister with their red hair! Have fun with your friend. Your quilting group sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been a very busy girl...I haven't gotten any farther on the Christmas quilt...I pulled for the wreat with the heart...I'm going to use wool for that one, but it will have to wait until I get home.Have a wonderful visit with Karen...please tell her Hi for me. I can only ever get 4 photos also...maybe a blogland friend can help us out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Christmas blocks . . . I really must get my pattern out (where did I put it?) pull some fabrics and get started. Maybe I can have it done for this year *S*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your santa & Crow blocks are so-o-o-o cute!
    I have this patterns and You and Judy make me wanna start this project. Although I have too many "on going" UFOs... :-D
    Your angel quilt is so precious.She is so cute and love her hair! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Blogland! You'll love it here. I heard about your blog over on Brown Quilts. I really love prim/folk art things--it's my favorite style too. I especially love Cherie Saffiotte Payne's designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks look so cute! And the angel quilt is adorable. Your quilt group sounds lovely- have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First my tip...if you want moe than 4 photos, don't go through Picasa. Just pick the little picture icon on the top bar and hit browse, then pic from whereever you keep your pictures. It lets you pick the size and the location...center, left or right placement. This usually lets me put quite a few on at once.

    Now, the good stuff! Love the blocks! I got old time santa done too and I'm waiting for the block on the side to add the bird and little bird feeder. Yours turned out so perfect! I can't wait to see how the bottom row comes together. This is going to be a fun quilt to have done for christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete