QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Friday, January 18, 2008

SNOWBOUND WINTER QUILT

Hello to all! I attempted to post these pictures yesterday but I must have not completed something in the process. The post never showed up on my blog. One of these days, I will have learned all the ins and outs.

The first picture is a quilt I made a good while back that is from the Snowbound book by Gerry Kimmel-Carr, Linda Brannock, and Jan Patek. KC Quilts had posted a picture of the book on her Blog. It made me think that it was time to get the quilt out and display it in the living room. After all, it is January! This is as close to winter activities as I will get living in Florida. Well, we did have a few snowflakes earlier in the month during the cold snap. It was called "ocean effect snow flurries" or something similar to that. I never saw a flake but my husband did and that was early in the day. Not a common sight here. I used a ring of fusible around the outer edge of the pieces and black button hole stitching done by hand. Using a ring of fusible instead of fusing the whole piece gives the applique a soft feel.

Next is a photo of the bottom section of the Christmas quilt I have been working on. I am very tempted to remove the little squares along the side of the Santa block but would have to undo the appliqued tree and his arm to do it. I think it is a bit too busy in that area. I have already stitched the arm twice and really don't want to again. Guess I will think about it a while.

The next two photos are of more blocks that I have done for the quilt. It is moving along at a good pace.

I am watching videos while stitching. I am about to finish the series "1940 House" which was shown on PBS. It is about a family who volunteer to live for a period of time like people did during war times in England. Not something I would have wanted to go through. I recently watched "1900 House" and have "Manor House" coming soon.

Our company from Houston should arrive later today. I have a little cleaning and grocery shopping to do before they get here. No sewing today! I am really looking forward to having a visit with my friend. She is a snowman collector and I have the cutest bowl and dessert plates to give her. Of course, they have snowmen on them.

I need to get busy on my day.

Karen
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Love the snowbound quilt. Your progress on your quilt is incredible. Leave the little squares next to the Santa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I vote keep it. I think what might be making you see "busy" is the plaid tree on top of the color squares. You eye see's too many colors? If it really keeps bothering you, you could think about just changing the tree to a darker more solid looking color and see how that grab's you. But I like it. The other blocks are looking very well! You are moving right along. I've almost got he second section done completely.

    The winter quilt is so cute. I love doing the fusible like that. It stays put without looking plastic. Sorry the post didn't come through, it can be tough to figure out the workings at first but you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is beautiful. I've wished over it tons of times. Triva--- back somewhere around 1992 land's end had the quilt book Snowbound for sale. I bought it from them.... Still have it. Today-- can you imagine Land end selling quilt books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the leave it category . . . it's going to be a busy quilt by nature. Looks great *s*

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sqares by santa are really charming! I would leave them. I actually had the snowbound pattern in my hands today in a quilt store! It was very hard for me to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAaaaaaaahhhh.... Karen, My dear... I love your Snowbound quilt!!! It's beautiful, just my taste!!
    This is one of "to do" quilt on my list! :-)
    Your Christmas Sampler blocks looks very good together. I love the background fabrics for tree and house blocks.
    your blog is so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your snowbound quilt is wonderful! The Christmas sampler blocks are going to turn into a fantastic quilt. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the photo of the Winter Quilt from Snowbound!! I was hoping you would. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen. I wasn't able to respond to your comment on my blog, so I thought I would reply here. There are a total of 10 blocks for the Primitive Garden. I am done with 3, on the 4th, but I have all of them already cut out and ironed on ready to go. This is just wool, so they use the fuse method. Have a great day! Again, I just LOVE this snowbound quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG you were a busy girl while I was gone...I'll never catch up :-)
    I like the squares there and when it's all together I think it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These blocks are wonderful--I love this style!

    ReplyDelete