QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Baskets & Blooms

Welcome to my Blog. Hope you did something fun on National Quilting Day. I joined one of my small quilting groups for our usual once a month get-together. We watched part of a video showing the technique for making "Bonnet Girl" blocks. The applique uses an embroidery stitch to attach the pieces to the backgrouond. We are making a quilt that will benefit a charity. Each person is assigned a part of the process. Some will make the blocks, one will sew all together, and one person will do the machine quilting. Later we went to lunch at the Texas Road House.

I am sharing a picture of a leaf quilt that my good friend, Kenyan, made. She showed the finished quilt at the Saturday get-together. The quilt has very special meaning to her. Her husband passed away last year. She was able to display the top at his memorial service. It represents his life and passing. The quilt has a special poem on the back of the quilt. She did a wonderful job on the machine quilting and binding.

I finally finished "Baskets & Blooms" Block of the Month by Joined at the Hip. The blocks had been prepared for the machine applique for a good while. I finally decided to work exclusively on them to get to the end. I am pleased with the top. Now I am anxious to get back to a couple other applique projects that are waiting, including the patriotic quilt and the winter quilt.

I was able to make my first two Civil War blocks today. I don't know where to find the list of the suggested blocks to make, so I just picked two. I chose "Conscription" and "Anxiety". I had to cut pieces for the pink and green block three times. It is an easy block to piece, if you cut the pieces correctly. The first block turned out too small. The second is fine. I paper pieced the black & red block. It was not hard to do but took time. I am enjoying seeing all the blocks displayed on other participant's blogs.



 
 
 

Thanks for visiting my blog and come back soon.

Karen
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

Love that leaf quilt and what it represents. How wonderful of your friend to give it to you.

Cheryl said...

opps, read the post again and realize it is her quilt and you are sharing it on your blog!! My eyes play tricks on me sometimes.

Carol said...

Kenyan's quilt is beautiful. Love your Civil War blocks...you picked hard ones to start with.

Marilyn R said...

Your Civil War blocks look fantastic! Love the fabric combos.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Such nice piecing on your CW blocks. The baskets are definitely georgeous!

I am so sorry about your friend's husband. I hope she had some healing with the making of this quilt. What a beautiful way to tribute him.

Takako said...

Love Kenyan's quilt. It is just beautiful and nice meaning to it.
I like your basket quilt. They are all nicely blended together.
CW blocks look beautiful too.

Libby said...

What a beautiful and meaningful quilt your friend has made. Congrats on Baskets and Blooms - it looks great *s*

Caryn said...

All of the suggested CW blocks are on Kathie's blog at www.inspiredbyantiquequilts.blogspot.com if you look through prior posts you should find all of them. They are only suggestions though! Yours are beautiful!

Marcie said...

Your CW blocks are great! I am enjoying seeing those around as well. Also=great looking basket quilt! Good job on finishing up. I don't know why we let some things linger longer.

Pat said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the kind words. I have enjoyed reading your blog. You do beautiful work.I will be back. Please visit again soon.

Lea said...

Karen, your CW blocks are so beautiful so as your basket quilt.
and the leaf quilt story touched my heart so deeply. What a wonderful way to repersent her husband. Thank you for sharing this story and picture.

Ginger Patches said...

I love your baskets and blooms quilt--so pretty! Your friend's quilt is beautiful too!

Wendy said...

The basket quilt is gorgeous. You did a fantastic job on that quilt.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love your baskets quilt and the civil war blocks are great.