QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Friday, March 7, 2008

JUBILEE ALBUM

I decided it was time to finish sewing together a UFO project that has been taking up space on the back of my sewing machine cabinet. I was tired of having to move it to work on something else large and tired of trying to keep the blocks nicely pressed and flat. The pattern I used is called Jubilee Album. You may be recognize the pattern because it was a series quilt in "Fons & Porters Love of Quilting" in 2003/2004. The quilt top measures 72" x 91". It was designed by Sue Nickels & Pat Holly.

I used the raw edge method of applique as presented in the book "Stitched Raw Edge Applique" by the above mentioned pattern designers. It is not a quick method but does go faster than hand applique. In reading the book, I was impressed that the authors have won prestigious awards on quilts they have made using this technique. I still prefer the look of hand applique but find the blocks are quite presentable having done it by machine.

The quilt top now becomes a UFO that needs to be quilted. I have several tops piled up awaiting quilting. Being retired gives me more leisure time but there still aren't enough hours in the day.


The quilt top was too big to pin to the sticky stuff on the wall where I arrange blocks, etc. for viewing. My husband held it up as best as he could for a picture. Then we spread it out on the floor for another picture.

I have another set of applique blocks ready for machine stitching. They are smaller than the Jubilee blocks so they won't be as difficult to keep neat and stacked on the machine cabinet waiting their turn to be worked on.

Last Saturday was a stitching day with hostess, Carol (Brown Quilts), Jeanne (No Home Computer) and Susan. We had a good time visiting, poking around in Carol's sewing room, stitching, and going out to lunch. Carol had baked brownies and cookies that were very, very good. Got to see Carol's two Annies up close and personal. They sure are cute. Oh, we can't call Jeanne "No Home Computer" anymore. She did buy herself one and an Electric Quilt program.

I am also stitching once a month on a Thursday with my friends, Rosy & Beverly. A new lady was invited this past month. Her name is Ann and she does very nice hand applique as do Rosy and Beverly. I forgot to take my camera so no pictures. Will try to remember to take it along this month.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by.

Karen
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Takako said...

This Jubilee quilt is just stunning!! Beautiful art, Karen!
I also like the other brown quilt on the couch, too.
Wish you would send me a little bit of sun shine here. Big snow storm are coming in here.

Jeanne said...

Your Jubilee quilt is fantastic. I hope it isn't an UFO for too long. It deserves to be finished. *S*

Judy said...

Oh Karen it's lovely! Just the right amount of Americana and the colors are gorgeous. Never done machine applique but it can save time over doing it all by hand. I love to keep my completed pieces all perfect and ironed too so I started hanging them with skirt hangers in the craft bedroom closet. I use a tiny tab of folded batting so the hanger doesn't bite into the fabric. It keeps them safe and really nice while they wait.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Beautiful! Nice work Karen.

Marcie said...

Wonderful quilt Karen. It will feel good to get it done. I have some ufo's that I am pretending don't exist.

Cheryl said...

I just love your Jubilee quilt. Your work is really nice. Sounds like your sewing group had quite a wonderful time. Thanks for visiting my blog!

KCQuilter said...

Oh, yes, I do remember that Jubilee quilt from F & P magazine and loved it. Your version is stunning. I have saved the magazines for "some day"!

KCQuilter said...

Oh, yes, I do remember that Jubilee quilt from F & P magazine and loved it. Your version is stunning. I have saved the magazines for "some day"!

sossy said...

Your quilt is wonderful. Love the blocks. Very nice.

Lea said...

OMG! Karen, This quilt is SOooo beautiful! What a masterpiece!

Ginger Patches said...

That is one gorgeous quilt! You do beautiful applique!!

Christine said...

Your Jubilee quilt is very impressive. Beautiful appique. Love the Tumbling Blocks quilt in the floor shot. Have we seen this one?

Libby said...

What a wonderful quilt! Love the Americana-feel.

Dawn said...

Oh your Jubilee Album is wonderful! I just love it!

Mar said...

I love this quilt, it's beautiful. I love hand applique also, but took a class from Sue Nickels to learn their method. It does do a good job. Yours is stunning.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Your Jubilee quilt is just wonderful. What a great quilt.