QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern called "Twelve Days of Christmas"..

Sunday, March 30, 2008

QUILT SHOW PART ONE

You asked, so here we go. In my last post, I showed pictures of my two quilt cabinets. It has stirred some interest as to what quilts are stored in them. I will post a few pictures every couple days, time permitting. I don't want to overload you all at once. I wish I had pictures of all the quilts I have made and given away because there were some good quilts. Some quilts will be older ones. I won't have complete information on some of the quilts as I no longer have the patterns or books. I'll tell you what I know about them and go from there.

The first quilt is a feathered star sampler. I made it in 1999. It is machine pieced and hand quilted. It is from a pattern by Marsha McCloskey. If you have never pieced a feathered star, you may not realize that all the little triangles are not the same size. And accuracy is a must. Wow was I glad to get done piecing those things.

The next quilt is "Western Sun" from the book "Butternut & Blue". The patterns in the book are by Barbara Brackman and Karla Menaugh. I made the quilt in 2005. The sun blocks are easy to make using the easy sew method described in the pattern. The pattern gives the option of a traditional method or the easier one. The traditional has you make an 8-pointed star which involves "Y" seams. The easy has you make an off-center sawtooth star. Both methods has you then applique a circle in the center. The quilt is machine pieced and machine quilted.

The third quilt is a paper-pieced plaid pineapple. I no longer have the book the quilt pattern was in. I made it in 1998. It is machine quilted. This is the first paper-pieced pineapple that I did and now I won't make one without doing it that way. I never had any luck with the pineapple ruler. I had piles of strips in each colorway all over the sewing room floor. You have to really pay attention to what color goes where in a block as a color in one block has to march up to the same colorway in the adjoining blocks. I think the quilt was in a Dixie Haywood book. I have one of her pineapple books now but it is not in that one.
The last quilt is called "Rosy's Folly". My friend Rosy made the applique blocks. They are part of a pattern that was in McCall's magazine a few years ago. I think the designer is Robert McCallahan, but correct me if I am wrong. Anyhow, she was not happy with the blocks. Rosy does an A+ applique job but was just not pleased with these. She also made the 4-pointed star block. She asked if I would like the blocks and I jumped at the chance. I did not want to make the other applique blocks, so I thought and thought about what I could do with what I had. I drew a layout figuring how wide I would need to make the black framing strips for each individual block. I decided the blue sky fabric was a good choice for background in the center. Then I needed some kind of border and fill in blocks. I settled on the blue sawtooth stars. Each star is a different fabric. I hand quilted this one and finished it on Valentine's Day in 2003. I think Rosy likes her quilt blocks a whole lot more now only the quilt resides at my house instead of hers.

Stay tuned for more quilts. And have a great day!

Karen
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. beautiful quilts. Wow!!!!
    I love the butternut and blue quilt, guess I need to get that book out and study it!
    oh the fabrics you chose are just beautiful
    Your feathered star is amazing!
    and the pineapple quilt, yes paper piece it for sure when I do one !
    well maybe I should say when I finish mine, its paper pieced too!!!!
    LOL
    thanks for the quilt show today
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the quilt show! I'm not sure which I like best - the Pineapple or the Feathered Star. They are all fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great quilts, so beautiful! Love the feathered stars, I haven't attempted one yet. I would love to though, I am hoping it can be paper pieced!

    The pineapple is great too, and my favorite is your western sun. I'm a nut for geese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, Positively BEAUTIFUL.
    Can't wait to see more. I feel sooo lucky to have found your blog!!!! VBS J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these quilts! I am excited that we will have an ongoing quilt show, lol. I will say one thing, you have tackled some doozies and done a great job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I really missed a lot this week! You have posted so many beautiful quilts. I Love them all! Beautiful fabric choices as well. I made a number of those feathered stars for pillows one Christmas and later wished I had done a quilt instead--lots of work, but beautiful results. Yours are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - thanks for wonderful quilt show. Your work is lovely and I can hardly wait for the next installment *S*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your quilts and hope there's lots more to come. I've always wanted a cabinet full of quilts to display, and you have two of them! I've got the quilts, but not the cabinet.
    You obviously aren't put off by the hard patterns, and the results are beautiful. I love the Western Sun particularly, such lovely colours you've chosen and the setting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are great! That is some tough work. That pineapple looks tough but turned out so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW now those are some great quilts. You did a fabulous job on those. OMG I'm speechless and you know that doesn't happen often.

    ReplyDelete