QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Thursday, April 24, 2008

CIVIL WAR BLOCKS & MORE QUILTS

Happy Thursday to all! For those of you that have jobs outside the home, it's almost Friday! I well remember the days of waiting for Friday afternoon to arrive so that the weekend would get here. I have been retired for almost ten months. The joy of not having to get up and get to work by 8 AM is still an excitement. Only thing is, there still aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish all that I want to do.

I am posting a picture of all my Civil War blocks in a group as requested. When I first found out that a request was made for the Sew Many Blocks group members to do this, I was in a panic. I thought that I only had four blocks to show. Then I found a fifth that had fallen to the floor. Still not enough when I saw some members having made so many. I got a later start on the project than some but still should have accomplished more. I also started with harder blocks which are slower to make up. I decided I needed to have seven to show. Where I came up with that magical number, I don't know. So I switched to making some easier blocks and made the two. Still not enough. I should have two rows of four each. Then the two rows did not seem to be enough. I could have three rows of three each if I made one more block. Well, you get the picture. Once you get going, it's hard to stop. I ended up with eighteen for the photo. It helps to have them all displayed together where you can see them. It gives me an idea of whether I am using too much of one color or too many darks, etc. I am looking forward to visiting the different blogs to see everyone's blocks.


Now back to showing you pictures of quilts from the quilt cabinets. The red & black quilt with all the spikes was made as a shop sample. The shop owner asked me to use some muslin panels she had in stock where you sew on the preprinted lines instead of using paper. She had a whole bolt and no one was buying them. I made the sample for her and she ended up selling out of the panels and ordered another bolt. Sewing on the muslin foundation was not a lot of fun for me. I did not like the additional bulk it added to the quilt. It does make a striking design, though.

The next quilt was also done as a shop sample for Carol (Brown Quilts). Carol is retired now but her shop was a favorite of mine. Her whole shop was my style of fabrics and patterns. I was sad to see her close the shop but everyone deserves to retire when the time comes. The pattern is "Country Crossroads" and is a Jo Morton pattern. The quilt was made in 2000. It is machine pieced and hand quilted.

The last picture is a churn dash block and set together using Sharyn Craig's Twist & Turn method. The quilt was made in 1997. It is machine pieced and machine quilted.


Glad you stopped by a visit. Your comments are much appreciated!

Karen

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Um, which blocks are the easy ones again karen? Yikes, you picked all hard ones to me! You did a fantastic job on all of them!

    The quilts are fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your quilt show! Great quilts. You are making great progress on the CW blocks also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying all of the pictures you are posting. That tilted churn dash is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Marcie is right, It's a great quilt show! *S*
    Your CW blocks are soooooo beautiful, I love them!
    All quilts are so gorgeous and my favorite is churn dash. I love this "Twist & Turn method"! You did a wonderful job on this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did hard, hard ones...wait until you see the picture I post...mine are easy, easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your CW blocks look great! Thanks for the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh the CW blocks look great, I sitll haven't started on mine, but your fabric choices are very inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, your CW blocks are GEORGEOUS!! You really are one of the most talented quilters around here girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, I love that churn dash quilt. It's soooo cute.
    Great job on all your civil war blocks so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I can say is Wow! That red and black quilt with the spikes is stunning!

    ReplyDelete