QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Friday, April 18, 2008

PIN CUSHIONS AT LAST

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. It has been a beautiful day. High of about 79 and sunny.

I am posting some photos that I want to share with you. The first is of a Civil War block that I finished. Again, I used the faux paper piecing method to make it and I am pleased. This block pattern is "Lost Dispatches, Letters, and Papers".
In a previous post, I asked for suggestions for filling in pin cushions. I wanted something heavier than a poly fiber stuffing. Thanks to some very helpful bloggers, I got the answers I needed. The first one I made is the beehive. I used crushed English walnut shells for the filling. I found it at a pet store in the reptile section. You get a fair sized bag for not a lot of money. The sheep pin cushion has decorator sand with some lavender seeds added. The sand makes a heavier pin cushion. I had a suggestion to use lavender seeds. They are light weight so I decided just to add some in with the sand. I think I like the crushed walnut shells the best. I think price per cushion would be less using the shells. I will use whichever is readily available when I make one. I am starting a collection of pin cushions. I wonder how many people will want to be on my Christmas list this year when I start making extras?
I attended a quilt show earlier this month put on by the Seaside Piecemakers. The quilt pictures are from that show. I have a few more to post but got an error while trying to download them. I will try again on another post. I don't have much info on these quilts but they are interesting. I do know that the cat quilt is a Buggy Barn pattern. Enjoy!


Your comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

Karen

13 comments:

  1. Your pin cushions are so darn cute...love them. Great Civil War block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pincushions, they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The CW block looks great! Love the pin cushions! Thanks for the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling pin cushions. I'm so uncreative--- I have the magnet one. I'm a dog person... But those are the neatest kitty blocks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pincushions are sooo cute! They are so small and irrisistable! Great quilts too. Love your Wild Goose Chase and the story. Crazy woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Karen! Absolutely adorable pin cushions. I really need to make one! Reptile section at the pet store huh? I bet that was an interesting section to visit :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great cw block!!!!
    Love the pictures from the show , thanks for sharing them. OH and of course!!!! I want to be on your Christmas list...I love pincushions!!!
    mabye we could trade homemade pincushions?
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to be on your Xmas list for pincusions, lol. I just love the silly things and keep buying patterns and books on them etc and haven't made one yet, but someday maybe. I really like the Frog...he is wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pincushions are adorable! Your ciwil war block looks great as well. Looks like the quilt shhow was nice, that Buggy Barn cat quilt looks like it would be fun to sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pin cushions - I love using crushed walnut shells for filling. Last summer I made a bunch of pin cushions to give away and ended up purchasing a 25lb bag of cushed shells. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent block! Isn't it nice to peel off the paper and not have to rip!!

    Love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cushions . . . I like the idea of a little lavender added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your pin cushions--too cute!

    ReplyDelete