QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Thursday, April 3, 2008

QUILT CABINET SHOW #3


Welcome back! I am posting four more pictures of quilts from the quilt cabinets. Hope you aren't getting tired of this because there are several quilts to go yet.

The first quilt is called "Fala Remembered". The pattern for the dog has been around for quite some time. I understand that it was created in honor of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's dog, Fala. I made the quilt in 1999. It is machine pieced and hand quilted.

The second picture is of a quilt entitled "Wedding Star". It was published in American Patchwork & Quilting. The design was inspired by a quilt pattern designed by Sharlene Jorgenson called "Diamond Double Wedding Ring" I added the star in the center of each ring. The block in the center of each star is formed by four squares fussy cut from matching print design sort of like "Stack & Whack". I individually cut each square separately because the "Stack & Whack" method was not known at the time. The quilt was made in 1994. It is machine pieced and hand quilted. I was part of a group of quilters that were studying design methods under teacher, Cindy Blackberg. Cindy was chosen to take classes at the Houston quilt show at their expense one year. She was then to decide what she wanted to teach to a group that would make quilts for a special exhibit the following year at the Houston show. "Wedding Star" is what I designed and made. It was fun to see it hanging at the show.



The third quilt is the same pattern as the previous one only I did not make the star center square in four pieces. I used a novelty print and fussy cut the cats' heads. It was made in 1996 and is machine pieced and hand quilted.

The last picture is of a scene that I made. I was inspired by a jigsaw puzzle picture. I'm sorry that I don't remember which artist's picture it was. I had to simplify the design and change things a bit. The quilts on the clothesline, the dog, the window scene, fir trees, flowers, and windmill are fussy cut from novelty type prints. I find it fun and interesting to find what can be used in a print when I do one of these scenes. The various parts are fused and then lightly satin stitched by machine. The quilt is machine quilted.

I hope you have enjoyed viewing these quilt pictures. More to come.

Karen








Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. NO, NO, NO, I am NOT getting tired of these photos. In fact, I look forward each morning to the "quilt show"--each and every one is beautiful. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. more, more, this hits keep coming. Loving them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely NOT getting tired of seeing your beautiful quilts!!! I am loving this virtual quilt show :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen...your wedding star quilt is beautiful. Any idea where I might be able to find the pattern? I've done some online looking, but no luck. I'd like to make the quilt for my brother-in-law and his fiance's wedding gift. If you have any info you can pass on, I'd love an email...chintz@charter.net

    Thanks...

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete