QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

QUILTS & MORE QUILTS

Hello to all! We had a wonderful week with our "oldest & dearest" friends. They arrived on April 5th and left yesterday. We did some of our traditional things that we always seem to do and a few new things. One of the new things was a trip to Gatorland Zoo. Gatorland has been around for many, many years. I had not been there since we first moved to Florida about 22 years ago. It was very interesting seeing all the gators and other wildlife. The gator wrestling show was good. The man banded one of the gator's mouth and then let anyone who wanted to sit on it's back and have a picture taken. Not something any of us wanted to do. There were two other shows that we saw. Worth a visit if you have the time and any money left after visiting Disney World and Universal Studios. We also went to two different wetland areas and saw gators in the wild. The weather was picture perfect most of the week. Our friends enjoyed the beach and sunning by our pool. The pool water was warm enough that we all got in and floated around. We sure miss our friends now that they have gone home but we will be visiting them this summer.

I made another Civil War block. This one was done using the faux paper piecing method. My first attempt doing the "faux" method and I am pleased with the result. Thank you Judy (Quilting With Ragdolls). The block pattern is "Harassment". By the way, I hang the quilts that I can on my design wall. I have what is called "Block Butler" on the wall. It is somewhat sticky and threads are always stuck to it so that is what you see around the blocks or quilts when I photograph them. Next I will share with you a few more pictures of quilts in the quilt cabinets. The first quilt is a small one and is titled "Wild Goose Chase". I was inspired by a Smithsonian quilt made in the late 19th century. I made it in 1997 for my guild's miniature auction. It is what is called a silent auction. I have a funny story for you. I donated it to the auction and then bought it back because I liked it so well and did not want to make another. I had to pay $65.00 for it because a fellow guild member kept bidding on it. I learned a lesson to just make a miniature, donate it, and forget about bidding on it to get it back! The quilt is machine pieced and hand quilted.


The Apple Core quilt was made in 1995. I used Sharlene Jorgensen's Apple Core acrylic template to rotary cut all the pieces. It is a fairly easy quilt to piece because the template has gentle curves. I like plaid fabrics and enjoyed making this. The quilt is machine pieced and hand quilted.
The third quilt is one I designed and it is titled "Cumberland Star". I chose that name because a good bit of the fabric is from the Cumberland line of fabric that Fons & Porter designed several years ago. The star blocks are the LeMoyne Star pattern. It was made in 1998 and is machine pieced and hand quilted.
The fourth quilt pictured is a feathered star design that I did for RJR fabrics. The company provided the fabrics, I designed and made the quilt for them to display at market, and then I got it back to keep. It is titled "Devonshire Star". I think Devonshire must have been the name of the fabric line but I don't remember for sure. It is machine pieced and hand quilted. The border with the scallops was fussy cut from a Jinny Beyer border print. They are machine appliqued on to the base fabric.
I have quilt show pictures to share with you but am going to save them for another post. My husband is cooking dinner and maybe I should help just a little. Stayed tuned for more photos.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Karen

6 comments:

  1. Karen... WOW! You are an amazing quilter! Such beautiful work! And I would have bid on that quilt too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely quilts, and your CWD block is really pretty! I remember going to Gatorland many years ago, it's a fun place to visit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee! I never miss a good quilt show *s*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that Wild Goose Chase quilt is fantastic! I would have bought that one back too! The CW block looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts!!! I am so enjoying this virtual quilt show :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the feathered star and your "Wild Goosechase" quilts! :)

    ReplyDelete