QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, May 25, 2008

SEWING ROOM STUFF

I decided to let you have a bit of a peek at my sewing room. I am in the beginning process of cleaning it up. You can see a few shelves of the light backgrounds that I have straightened up so far. I have a good ways to go yet doing that. I am also getting together a donation bag of fabrics that I am not going to use or am done with.


My poor lamp had an accident one day and the globe broke. We could not find a replacement globe. I just have done nothing about replacing the lamp. I like the globes that bounce the light onto the ceiling and then around the room. It lights up things much better.
I have bad knees and a bad back so I no longer can stand up to cut pieces for my quilts. I had a really nice cutting table. It was actually a wood rolling kitchen island piece. I gave it to my daughter for her kitchen. Now I cut on a small table right beside the sewing machine. I have the ironing pad on a folding table to the right of the sewing machine and the cutting table to the left. This makes a U shape. It works well for me. If I need to cut something big, I take a rotary cutting board to my kitchen counter and do it there. The bad thing about having to work at a small, low table is that my fabric piles up on the floor and makes a mess. I just deal with it and move on. After I finish the straightening up process, I will photograph the whole room. It will never be the neatest room in the world but it works for me.
I am going to share a picture of a quilt that I made for my friend Vicky. Vicky is a quilt artist so it is hard to make something that fits her style. Not all of the chicken blocks are originals nor are they the same size. I bordered them to make them fit the layout. My friend, Karen from Texas, did the hand buttonhole stitching on the blocks. Vicky did the machine quilting. A group project that was fun to do. Vicky does love it. It is displayed in her dining area.
The picture of the tree quilt is of a original piece that Vicky made. It hangs in her living room. I love it! Vicky has won many awards at art shows for her quilts.
Look at the basket I found at a thrift store. I was looking for a low- sided basket for my growing pincushion collection. I did find one but also came across this. The size of this basket just begged for it to be filled with quilts. I think I can find one or two to fill it up.



The last picture is of a quilt top I finished last night. I made a duplicate one this morning. The tops will go to two sisters who do the finishing work. Esther and Janet are members of a quilt guild that I belonged to for many years. The guild makes crib quilts as a charity project. Ester and Janet have done the sashings and tying of many, many of the quilts. Sometimes other members do part of the finishing work. I remember when the guild reached 2000 finished quilts and that was a long time ago. I don't know how many total have been donated. Most of the quilts are made from nine patch blocks. I like to put extra work into some of the ones I make. I have a bunch of shabby chic type fabrics that I want to use up. The baskets are fused to the background. My friend, Karen has been buttonhole stitching them for me.
I had lunch with four friends that I used to work with. We have been friends for close to twenty years. We had a lot of fun, both at work and sometimes outside of the work place. It was good to get together to catch up on the news and talk about the old times. We get together a couple times of year. Lots of laughter!
Have a great holiday weekend. Thanks for stopping by.
Karen

13 comments:

  1. A delightful sewing room! I tidied mine up recently and like you I know that it'll never be the neatest room in the world but I'm ok with that. LOL My DH constantly reminds me that it's a "busy room". He's right!

    Love all the eye candy! Please tell me about the cute basket quilt - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting peeks at sewing rooms so thank you! I like your "U" set up-that's how I have tried to do mine but it just doesn't work in my room..oh well :)

    I love that tree quilt!! Someday I'm going to try an art quilt...someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love basket quilts, and i love baskets filled with quilts! Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a nice time with your friends. It is so much fun to get together and catch up.

    Okay..... your fabric..... WOW. The lights and browns... Heaven! You have a better selection than our local quilt store, lol. My stash is pitiful. Fits on one shelf, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a wonderful sewing room *s* I keep dreaming that one day I will have a room all of my very own.
    Great basket - quilts or pincushions - it makes a great display *s*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fabric collection...WOW....you never know when the spirit strikes and you want to do a quilt...then you need that stash!! Love the baskets...both of them...;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen, I can't wait to show your fabric to my husband. He thinks I have a large fabric collection but it's not like yours! I love that lamp that shines toward the ceiling too - as I get older I need more and more light and that kind really helps. They sure do get hot though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great looking sewing room, the start of the clean up looks really good. That gives me the inspiration I need to get mine cleaned out.
    The chicken quilt is wonderful, you guys did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sewing room is my dream. :-) I love your fabric shelves!
    and your basket quilt is simply beautiful. Those pink fabrics goes really good with the border.Love it.

    Oh, and your beautiful quilts looks snuggly cozy with your great found basket! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - who wouldn't just love to thumb through all of that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen, as always one of my favourite blogs. I just loved seeing your sewing room. The chicken quilt was fabulous and I am dying to see a photo when you fill your basket with your fabulous pincushions. Thanks for your comment on my blog, glad we have the same sewing machine. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice sewing room! Love those shelves. I have two pantry shelves and they are over flowing. I can not buy any more fabric until I make roome for more! LOL. Maybe if I had shelves like yours I could buy more fabric!! Ha! If you still use that lame, mine lost its original glass shade as well. I bought a fabric shade that I turned upside down and it works great. Since it was a bit wobbly, I used a few dabs of hot glue to hold it in place...

    ReplyDelete