QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Friday, May 9, 2008

STITCHING PARTY

Hello to all! I have come a long way since I started this blog in January. It took forever and a day to do a post when I first started. Getting pictures in and words where I wanted them turned into a two day ordeal when I did the first post. I could not remember from one post to the next how I found the photos to download and how to get them into the post. Now I just go at full speed ahead. I have made some new friends via blogging and find it all much fun!

This past Tuesday, I had three friends over for a little stitching party. They live about an hour away. My guests were Mary, Terri, and Linda. I have known Mary & Linda for a number of years. They introduced me to Terri, so I now have a new friend. I told them to bring a thimble if they use one for hand stitching but did not give them any other clue as to what the project for the day would be. Surprise! It was a wool pincushion project. If you have been following my Blog, you know that I am in the midst of a pincushion making frenzy. I don't think any of them had worked with wool before. Terri did not know how to hand buttonhole stitch. They were quick learners. Terri said that if anyone had asked her ahead of time if she wanted to make a pincushion, she would have said no. She said she has changed her mind and really enjoyed the project. I had the designs fused to the wool background to speed things up. You can see one of the pincushion in process in the second photo.



Please note in the first photo the stained glass chicken hanging in the window. My dear friend Kenyan made it for me. She has a talent for the craft of making stained glass items. She created the chicken from a quilt block pattern.

We took a break for lunch and went to a local barbecue place. And what a surprise! The barbecue place is about two blocks or so from a very nice quilt shop called "The Quilt Place". We all managed to find some fabric and supplies to purchase. One thing I bought is the new log cabin book by Judy Martin. I am in the process of cutting for the "Kentucky Log Cabin" quilt.

After the quilt shop, we came back to stitch some more and then had a quilt cabinet show. You can see all the quilts in a jumble on the living room floor.

I have two photos of quilts from the cabinet to show you today. Part of my ongoing show that some of you asked for. The first quilt is a log cabin quilt. It is a smaller piece. It was made in 1997 and I titled it "And Lions and Tigers Too". The fabric selection is a bit wild for me but they are browns like I like. It is machine pieced and hand quilted.

The second quilt is also a log cabin quilt. It is from a pattern by Cheri Saffiote called "Rise & Shine". I made this for Carol (Brown Quilts) as a shop sample when she had her quilt shop. It hung for a good while and sold many patterns. Carol picked the fabrics and I did the stitching and quilting. It is machine pieced and hand quilted. The chickens are fused and then button hole stitched by hand. Made in 2000.
And last, I made five more Civil War blocks. They are the blocks in the top row.
My sewing room is a disaster right now. I need to get in there and cut more logs for the log cabin quilt. Then I can put some fabric away and make heads & tails of things.

Thanks for stopping by for the visit.

Karen

13 comments:

  1. What fun - the more gals playing with wool, the better *s*

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to introduce wool applique to more stitchers...looks like they were having lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw... I wish I was there! I have taught a few wool applique classes and it is so much fun when they realize how fast and fun it is.

    Love LOVE the Cheri S Pattern and your beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Rise and Shine quilt! I just started blogging a month ago so your post today really spoke to me....I'm still taking way too much time to get a post on but I'm gettin' there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all the fun you guys had - guess my invitation got lost in the mail. LOL Very, very cute pincushion(s) and what a great idea.

    Love the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is alway fun to get together with quilting friends! Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...you made the rise and shine quilt...I love that quilt...its on my to do list...have the pattern...but not started...its gorgeous!!
    And you seem to have had a wonderful time together with your friends...its so fun to have a stitch together day...lots of laughter...I guess...;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like such fun and more cute pincushions! What a wonderful pile of quilts!!! Thanks for sharing more quilt show stuff...I do look forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really enjoying your quilt cupboard show! Also all the darling pincushions. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fun day with friends. What could be more fun than sewing with a bunch of gals huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen,
    I have purchased the 'Civil War Diary Quilt' book and was wondering if you have any tips for making up the blocks. Do you photocopy the patterns from the book or trace the patterns off?
    Kind regards from Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just wanted to say I am looking at some of your old posts, and am thoroughly enjoying myself. This animal log cabin quilt is adorable! Since I just bought some animal prints, this one just yelled "make me."

    ReplyDelete