QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, June 29, 2008

ANOTHER FINISH

Today I am posting a picture of a quilt that I just finished. The quilt has a little story. I was given some quilt blocks that my husband's grandmother painted back in the mid 60's. At the time, Artex paints were popular. Does anyone remember those? The quilt blocks were done with a berry pink on white polyester fabric. Of course, polyester fabric was the "in thing" at the time. The design was a sort of wreath shape of little flowers. Grandma never put the blocks into a quilt. She passed away in 1986. Her youngest daughter, Nina, ended up with the blocks. Nina had intentions of making a quilt with them but was not able to. She used to sew a lot and very well but has bad arthritis and can no longer do anything like that. She passed the blocks along to me. I had the blocks for about a year and a half before I could decide what to do with them. I did not want to do just a plain sashing around the blocks. I wanted to make something a bit more exciting. I found some cotton fabrics at the quilt shop that I thought would look good with the berry pink. I came up with an idea for sashing that would be a little bit creative but still couldn't make myself start on the project. Then one night when I was having trouble going to sleep, I was thinking about basket blocks for a quilt. The thought popped into my mind that flowers & baskets go well together. I could cut the flower blocks into triangles and add them to a basket pattern. Voila! I gained some enthusiasm for making the quilt. I selected several green fabrics for the baskets and did an on point setting. I opted to have the quilt professionally machine quilted. I sewed the binding on yesterday. This morning I put a label block on the back. Grandma had painted a West Virginia state block (she lived most of her life there). She had painted her signature on it and the year she was born. I took a photograph of her and scanned it onto fabric. The picture was appliqued onto the label. Then I added my name and that I am the spouse of her grandson. Grandma's name was Lula so I think the quilt name will be "Lula's Flowers".
Now the quilt will go to a relative to take to the family reunion. They hold a small auction at the gathering. Each family is supposed to donate something for the auction. I hope that someone gets it that will appreciate the quilt.

I tried to get a space between the two pictures but it just isn't working. I know I posted a picture of this reproduction basket quilt not very long ago. At the time, the binding was not on. I did that a couple days ago. Binding a quilt isn't the most exciting thing to do. Good handwork to do while watching television, though. Anyhow, I promise this is the last time I will post a picture of the quilt!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit and come again.

Karen

23 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story and your quilt turned out just wonderful!! Well done!! Love basket quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story, and something much more likely to happen in America I think, than here in the UK where quilting really isn't a tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen it turned out great...the relatives are going to be fighting over that quilt. Your Baskets for Betsy is great...love it! You have been a very busy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good story and you used the blocks so creatively. The quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative what you have done with your Husband's Grandmother's blocks. They look very nice - wheew, polyester! I have found a bit of that in my inherited stash! Lol* They don't look from the polyester era at all the way you've used them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, the quilt is wonderful! Such a great story with it, too. I hope someone gets it who will appreciate its heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice idea for grandma's flowers. Wouldn't she be pleased! My grandmother did some of that painting for baby quilts years ago. Love the other baskets also, and your Patchwork Garden looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Artex similar to 'Liquid Embroidery?' What a wonderful way to showcase the blocks! If I was at that reunion, surely I would bid up that quilt *s* Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a awesome story and I love how you got your inspiration while laying awake...that happens to me too. Great job on the quilt. I love the baskets too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was so good of you to do something with the blocks instead of letting them sit. It turned out beautifully and I am sure the person who ends up with it will love it.

    You are doing great on your finishes! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! What a wonderful story! Well done on all the finishes too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you made the perfect choice for how to showcase her blocks! Great job on both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness I think God gave you a double dose of creativity when he was handing it out! What a great idea....I can't imagine anyone not loving to have that quilt. Blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have created a family keepsake! What a great way to use Grandma's blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen,

    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving the lovely comment on my quilt. Of course I had to hop on to your blog. I absolutely enjoyed my visit here - beautiful quilts you have made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good story with a quilt top! And it turned out beautiful! Binding's exciting because it means you're finished!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story! Whoever gets that quilt will be so so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an excellent job on that quilt...i love it! Its almost sad that you are giving it away, but it will be in the family, so that is wonderful!
    i found a link to your blog from the welsh quilters blog, and thought id say hello!

    lisajo

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a lovely story! I hope whoever gets the quilt really appreciates the history of it....I just saw the wonderful pincushion you sent Stina....and well done on the quilt - it looks fabulous...I would have found it really daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely way to preserve those heirloom blocks! It is a treasure that someone is going to truly cherish.

    Love the colors in your second basket quilt. Gorgeous!

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello There Karen... I have just discovered your Blog over @ Stina's who received the cutest little sheep pincushion in the mail... Have fallen in Luv with Cumberland Stars during my visit... All those Beautiful Quilts have just left me Amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember those paints and I have a project that dates back to the 70's that those paints were to be used on. Love what you did with the blocks by cutting them up and making baskets instead. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete