QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Thursday, June 26, 2008

TWO FINISHES

I have been busy doing lots of handwork and a little machine stitching. I finished two pillows. The pineapple pillow is for my family room sofa. It sure needed something besides the pillows that came with it. I think this will add some life to it. The pattern is by Sandy Gervais. I used a plaid homespun for the background and wool for the appliques. It was a very fast and easy project. The second pillow is going to be sent to a friend who really likes the primitive style. It is a Buttermilk Basin stitchery pattern. It is the July block from the "Sheep in the Willows thru the Year" set. I enlarged the pattern to make it easier to do wool applique. The background and the plaid border are also wool. The blue plaid was a thrift store find. It is also on the back of the pillow. This was a one day project. Really easy!
Kathie http://inspiredbyantiquequilts.blogspot.com/ is working on a four block quilt applique project. I want to share a quilt that was supposed to be a four block quilt. I had not been doing applique very long when I started the project. I like the princess feather designs but I did not know that all the curves would take so long to do. I was tired of doing them by the time I finished one block and could not face making three more identical blocks. I decided it would make a nice wall quilt. The pattern is from a book entitled "Roots, Feathers & Blooms" by Linda Giesler Carlson. It is handquilted with a feather design and cross hatching. I really like where it hangs in our home. It is up high in the living room. In the picture you can see some vintage sewing machines that I have collected. I used to have many more machines but have sold or given away most when we down sized to this home.
I made some progress on the "Patchwork Garden" applique. I have it 2/3 done. I am taking a little break on it to finish another project that I had started. The other project has wool applique and is going fast. Maybe I will have a picture to post next time.
I purchased a new book yesterday. It is the "Fig Tree Quilts - Houses" book. Today I received three Fig Tree patterns that I ordered. My favorite pattern in the house book is the one with the coverlet looking center and a border all around with houses. Naturally I had to order some fabric for the center.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Please leave a comment just to say "hi" and to let me know you were here. I enjoy hearing from you.

Karen

14 comments:

  1. You have been busy!!!
    Love your new pillows... Have to start and use more wool now...(thanks Colleen for sending some) cause it looks just wonderful to work with!!
    And oh my ...I´m in love with your Patchwork Garden...very much..;D
    Love to hear what you think of the Fig Tree book...have been thinking of that one for a long time...it look´s wonderful on the outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen your pillows are wonderful...wool is so great to work with...and your Patchwork Garden is dynamite. You have been a very busy girl. I love your Princess Feather and the vintage machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that Patchwork garden is beautiful! I am loving it and I love your color selection. My taste exactly! And the pillows are fantastic! Did you notice that your sheepy pillow is the same as the sheep BOM I am making for a quilt? That is funny! Great minds and all, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful blog! I love your quilting!! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that pinapple pillow is so cute!

    I like Fig Tree Quilts too - can't wait to see what you make from the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pillows . . .like quilts, we can never have too many *s*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is so lovely Karen. What a project to pick as a beginner applique project. All those princess feathers would send me running even now, though they look marvelous!

    The pillows are great and I'm sure your friend will love hers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I love your post today. So much inspirational eye candy. I can't wait to see what you make from the new book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful works of art! Just lovely!
    I enjoyed the visit!
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog. You make beautiful things. Found your pincushions - love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually comment...but you asked sooo nicely for us to stop by and say hi!...lol! I always enjoy your blog, your pillows are lovely and your patchwork garden is to die for...heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful applique! I love the patchwork garden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello - I love your applique garden quilt you are working on. What is the pattern? I love applique and love the look of this quilt. I also am a big fan of Fig Tree. I purchased the Fig Tree Houses book and LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete