QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

TIME FOR WINTER

No, it's not time for winter in Florida. "Time for Winter" is the name of the pattern I used for the wool table mat I just finished. Isn't the snowman cute? So roly poly! And most of the mat is made from recycled wool from thrift shops. The tongues turned out thicker than I would have liked as the darkest green is thick wool from a winter coat. The other greens I had just were not the right shade. The tongues have two layers of the heavier green, thus the thick tongues. And those tongues took about three times as long to make as the main part of the mat. Still, though, it went together fairly fast. I started yesterday evening and finished this evening. I did spend a good bit of time on it. I know I watched three DVDs yesterday evening while working on it. The pattern is from issue #62 of Quiltmania (the French magazine). The designer of the mat is Kathi Campbell from Heart to Hand patterns.

The blue green wool for the sky is from a ladies suit jacket. The green plaid for the ground is from a men's wool shirt. The black plaid must be a cashmere because it is so soft. It was from a man's suit jacket.

The magazine has some other patterns that I am interested in. I hope to make the cover quilt which is Jan Patek's "Rudolph & Co.". A couple other patterns hold some promise also. I have a subscription to the magazine. So far, I have only received one issue that did not have anything of particular interest to me. The subscription is a bit pricey compared to other quilt magazines here in the USA. I'm sure that has to do with delivery costs.

I added some glass to my collection. Some toothpick holders and a basket. I started collecting the toothpick holders about one year ago because they are small. I am running out of room for the glass baskets. I have taken an interest in the three swan toothpick holders and three of the new ones are those.



This will be my last post until we return from vacation. Hopefully I will have some new finds to show you at that time. Hope to hit a few favorite quilt shops on the trip. What's a vacation without a stop at a quilt shop? You know I need fabric!
Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
Karen

18 comments:

Raedene said...

Now that is a nice fat, round snowman! I love him! Nice job. So, you are out of fabric and just have to go shopping? Yea, right. Hope you find lots of goodies to make us all jealous. :o)

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

This is just adorable Karen! Great job..and I love it because it is all different textures and that aqua is striking!

I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip and come back with lots of wonderful quilty goodies!

If you get a chance before you go, pop on over to our NPNT blog and check out what the designer said to us!

Carol said...

Oh Karen, I read your title and got all excited...thought you saw something on the weather that I missed...LOL! Love your snowman mat! Pretty wool! Have lots of fun on your trip. Make sure to pick up some fabric...I know your shelves are getting empty.

Darlene said...

Love your snowman. Adorable!

Enjoy your trip - rest and relax.

Connie, Town Bees Beekeeper said...

I bought that issue of Quiltmania - it has the best patterns and the cover of Rudolph is just fun - I hope to make this year.

kathyinozarks said...

I love your snowman! I am getting motivated now to make something out of all the wool I have been collecting.
I collect from yard sales and resale shops too-felt them and take them apart-so I am ready to go.
Just need to get the twin baby quilts finished up I have been working for some close friends.
what is the name of the magazine? I have a friend in Paris on my multiply blog I may see if she can find it for me.
enjoy your vacation Kathy

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

Hi Karen! Hope you are having a lovely time on your trip. Can't wait to see your new fabric.

I LOVE the snowman penny rug. Snowmen are my favorite winter icon and I can't get enough of them. Love how you used repurposed wool as well. I have begun beefing up my stash here recently too in hopes of learning to make penny rugs too.

In the meantime, I'm learning the art of needlepunch which has been really enjoyable.

Blessings,
Lea

Judy said...

Oh my gosh, that snowman is the absolute cutest thing I have ever seen! SO fat and cuddly! Love all the wool you used from other sources!!

Have a great vacation!

Marilyn R said...

What an adorable snowman! I have been collecting wool, some of it recycled like yours, but I haven't done anything with it yet. Some day!

Libby said...

Oh, I just got a free copy of Quiltmania and I'm hooked. Wish the postage wasn't so prohibitve *s* Love that chubby snowman - good thing he won't melt in a Florida winter *s*

call me crazy said...

Hi Karen!~
Thanks for visiting my blog! :-) Your snowman is very cute, I like his rotund-ness too! :-)
The glass pieces are beautiful!
Have a great trip!
I'll be back to see what you found... LOL

Zannah said...

Hi Karen. Thaks for taking the time to visit my blog, and my apologies for taking so long to get back to you! I love your snowman - he''s so jolly!

Ginger Patches said...

Hope you're having a wonderful vacation! I love Quilt Mania, I get it at a LQS that discounts magazines on Wednesdays. They had a booth at the Quilt Festival but I wasn't sure if I would save $ by subscribing. Maybe next year. That snowman mat is adorable :)

Betweens said...

I love that Quiltmania mag!! Your snowman for all your efforts is wonderful a great way to celebrate Xmas in July.
Have a great vacation you and DH truly deserve it after the a-okay

Sunny said...

Karen,

I hope you don't mind, but I nominated you for a blog award. Please check out my post on my blog for details.

Wendy said...

He is a roly poly snowman and so adorable. I love how you reuse all your wool. Enjoy your new magazine find, it's pricey in Canada as well.

Have a wonderful time away.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Now how cute is that snowman! Just a great project all the way around :O)...

Inger Lise in Norway said...

Wow all the fabrics you catch on your holliday!!! I love the repro fabric. I will follow you to see your quilts grow from these :-)