QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

WOOL APPLIQUE

I have decided it is time to use some of those wool applique patterns I purchased. One pattern has been in my collection for at least three years. When I purchased it, I did not intend to use wool for the applique. In fact, I don't think I owned any at the time. After all, I live in Florida. Who has wool in Florida? Now I have it and want more. It is so easy to do the wool applique. I have a number of pieces that have come from recycled wool garments. When people move to Florida, I guess they bring those wool clothes with them and they end up in the thrift shops. Since I like the primitive/country style of quilts, this is one way to come up with some of the plaids and tweeds. I do like the hand dyed wool. I have not purchased a lot of it but plan on doing that more than searching thrift shops for used wool.

I have two finished projects to show you. The first is called "House on the Hill" It is a Buttermilk Basin pattern. I quilted this one and added a striped binding. The quilting was an experiment. I think I would have liked it better unquilted with backing and binding. Or maybe a thinner batting. But it is done and done is good.



The second project I finished is a wool pillow. "Wait ,"you say. "She already showed that before." Well, this is a twin to the first one. The first one was a gift for a friend who likes primitive very much. Some of you may have seen a photo of the first one pop up on another blog. The recipient seems to be very happy with her gift. But I wanted one for myself. It is a one day project. Again, the pattern is by Buttermilk Basin. I just enlarged the design to make it a more suitable size for a pillow.

I have started a new quilt. I like the Fig Tree fabrics. They aren't my usual darks that I like but there is something about the aged look to the fabric design that appeals to me. I do like quilt patterns that involve circles so I picked this Fig Tree pattern called "Prairie Sweets". I thought it was going to be a more difficult block to do with the circular pinwheels with another circle of a contrasting fabric around them. I purchased the pattern online so I had not looked at the directions before purchase. How pleasantly surprised I was to find out the neat trick that is used to create the blocks. You start by making the pinwheel. Then you add four strips of the same background fabric used in the pinwheel. That's easy enough. Then you applique a circle around the pinwheel. Neat way to get the circular pinwheel without piecing curves! I have since purchased two or three more of the Fig Tree patterns. The designer likes to come up with easier piecing directions for what would usually be a more complicated block. I like easier!

I have pieced all the pinwheel blocks. I appliqued one ring around the pinwheel just to get an idea of what the block will actually look like finished. I am going to set the project aside for a bit as I am working on finishing the "Patchwork Garden" quilt I have shown you in two previous posts. Also, I have another wool applique piece almost finished. I want to get it out of the way. I need to make the big tree block for my Winter quilt and get it sewn together. Too many projects going at one time!

That's all for today! Thanks for stopping by!

Karen

17 comments:

thesunbrellastore said...

Thank you very much for your nice information.

Regards
Sunbrella Fabric

Wendy said...

You wool applique projects are fantastic. The textured wool is the hardest to find, I would snap it up if you see it. I'm glad you started the Fig Tree quilt, I have the pattern as well and I think about it often but you've actually got yours started...way to go.

Judy said...

Oh yes, I know the condition well. You start with a tiny bit and then you buy more and more WOOL and soon you have tub under the bed FULL of wool...oh wait that's ME!!!!

Very lovely indeed!

Carol said...

Wool really is an addiction...you're going to want more and more...it's almost worse than the fabric addiction we all have. Love the Fig Tree quilt...I wondered what you had planned for that fabric. Have tons of fun.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have a wonderful wool applique kit in my stash - it's been there since Houston 2006! You have inspired me to get to working on it. I keep saying "as soon as I finish this ufo or that ufo" so I'm gonna have to let go of some of that and just start! Blessings, marlene

Amanda said...

I love your wool applique - especially the cushion. I look forward to seeing how your Fig Tree quilt works out.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts & Gardens said...

Love the twin pillow! :o) It's sibling is happily resting on my black, primitive buffet.

Great information about the Fig Tree blocks. I will definitely look into that. I like easier too!

Stina said...

Thanks for the tip...it was a AHA moment!! Loved that...
And I must say...I love your twins....they do look good both of them...:o) and so is the other one too...great work as always Karen!!!

Lorraine said...

I bought some wool ages ago because it looked nice and felt nice and was packaged in a nice little pack...NICE!! it has been in my sewing room looking at me ever since and I have come across some great patterns in the past couple of weeks so think now is the time to pick a project and get started.....I love the look of your pinwheel block as well.....interesting with the applique ring.....enjoyed your newsy post and you have been busy!!

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I haven't done any wool applique as of yet, but I have this feeling at some point I'm going to have to give it a try! :) All of your projects look great...and I love that pinwheel with the border, so cute! :)

Marilyn R said...

Your wool applique pieces are great! Love them! I too have been collecting wool from recycled garments, but I haven't done anything with it yet. Someday!

Darlene said...

Sadly, no wool for me. :-( But, I enjoy everything you do with it. :-)

Hey, I made Prairie Sweets earlier this year - talk about a fun quilt to make! Enjoy!

Primgal55 - Linda said...

I just love seeing projects like this!! Thanks for sharing.

Karol-Ann said...

Being surrounded by sheep here, I think your sheep cushion is gorgeous!! And the circular pinwheels are wonderful!

Myra said...

You've been busy! Just catching up on you blog here....
Lovely wool appliques you have there!
I have never done anything with wool. With my luck it would go well... Years ago I got a really bad rash from a wool blanket I slept under when in Holland. So, I don't know if I would even be able to work a wool applique... But it sure looks nice!
happy stitchings!

Libby said...

Wool is very addicting *s*

kathyinozarks said...

I just found you from someone elses blog list-love your work-I am wanting to get into more wool quilt projects, I have been collecting wools from garage sales-garments taken apart-I add you to my blog list for more read-Kathyinozarks