QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, August 31, 2008

PUMPKIN PROGRESS

Pumpkins galore at my house! My goal this past week was to finish preparing blocks for "The Great Pumpkin Quilt" and I have had success. I decided that I had too much fabric out of the shelves and needed to get things back in order. That means I had to get all those pumpkin block part fused and ready for stitching. It was fun deciding what fabrics to use for each pumpkin. Some of the oranges I purchased on vacation earlier this month did not get used but most did. I found some more oranges in an unfinished project box, so I had way more than I needed. I like to hand applique but decided this pumpkin quilt would never get finished if I did it that way. Fusing for machine stitching was the way to go. The fusing method I use does not make the quilt blocks really stiff. Here is a picture of my progress. Remember that the blocks will have sashings between them....probably a brown. The humongous block across the top was a lot of work and is a bit more free form than the pattern but I am satisfied.

Another thing I am working on is a jig saw puzzle. It is something that both myself & husband like to do. We kind of fizzled out on the current puzzle. I suppose that working three of them during Tropical Storm Fay was enough for a while. I decided to get busy on the current puzzle so it can be worked and put back in the box. Our favorite puzzles to work are the Charles Wysocki type or a similar looking puzzle. Folk art with lots of unique buildings, horse drawn carts, etc.

We are now watching to see what Tropical Storm Hanna does. It has taken a turn towards the east coast of Florida where we live. We hope it stays out on the ocean but we will probably get some rain from it. Just what we need. We are getting rain showers now from Hurricane Gustav even though it is heading towards Louisiana. That is a monster storm and the Gulf Coast certainly doesn't want it. Time for those people to get out of Dodge as fast as they can! I heard on the news earlier today that the bus companies that contracted with New Orleans to bus people out before a hurricane are not all coming through.

Stay tuned to my blog as my 50th post is almost here!

Thanks for stopping by!

Karen


26 comments:

  1. Hurray! The pumpkin quilt looks great! If I knew how to applique, I would have joined in on this quilt-along, but for now I am enjoying watching yours.
    Karen (Short Story Long)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen!!! It looks gorgeous! I am loving it! Okay, now I have to get my one sad little block done this weekend. You are putting me to shame!

    I love puzzles too, but haven't worked one in quite awhile. I need to go and pick out a few new ones for the winter :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your pumpkin blocks! Now you have me wishing I was making that quilt, but I'm not letting myself start any new projects until I get some of my UFO's under control!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, your blocks look wonderful! I've talked myself out of buying that pattern 5 times but now I'm weakening, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, those pumpkin blocks are simply gorgeous! What a wonderful quilt that is going to be. Puzzles are fun to put together. One time we had one where the puzzle inside was different than the picture on the box. It was a new puzzle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pumpkin quilt looks fantastic. Very Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen you've made great progress on your pumpkin quilt. You were smart to machine appluque - I did hand applique and it took forever. I've started another one for one of my daughters but it will be a combination of machine and hand. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at all those pumpkins. They are just wonderful. Hope Hanna makes a u-turn out to the fish in the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect Pretty Pumpkin Patch!
    Hurricanes not welcomed here. Go home...

    ReplyDelete
  10. your pumpkin quilt is going to be stunning! are you keeping it for yourself?
    hope you dont get too much rain this time around...youve had enough for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic...it looks just wonderful...cant believe you have already fused them all... or are they stitched too??? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pumpkins look great! I like hand applique also, but sometimes ya just want to get the project done fast! 8-)
    Puzzles are great for getting family together. When the children were young we always had a puzzle on the make during the Christmas holidays. My son was the most interested in puzzling with Mom.... the last few years not so much. Cars, girls, and parties are more important... 8-(
    Hurricane stat away! Stay over the water!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sure enjoy watching the progress on the pumpkin quilt. But I am loving your autumn table runners. Such a great idea. Was it a pattern or your own creation? Whichever...I'm "stealing" the idea to make for myself! Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen I love your blocks when you are on a mission watch out!! They look fabulous...
    Another note I hope that you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your pumpkin quilt! I adore pumpkins and can't decide if I want to do this one. How are you doing your applique around the pieces??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh boy do those pumpkins look great. I love the idea of using machine applique to get it done. I have to remind myself of that when it comes to seasonal projects . . . every one can't be an heirloom *s*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...you have been busy. The pumpkins are coming out wonderfully, you'll be done soon.
    I hope the storm passes by you, it must be a bit scary at times.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pumpkins!!!!!! Coming along very nicely. My family loves to do puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pumpkin quilt is really cute! I enjoy the Charles Wysocki puzzles, too, but haven't done any for a while because I have to figure out how to cover the work in progress or my cat will lay all over it & mess it up.
    I hope the hurricanes stay far away from you, it's scary just watching them on tv, I'd hate to be too close.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Karen, I just LOVE that pumpkin quilt...another one of my future projects...have the pattern...are you machine or hand appliquing it? It looks sooo adorable so far, how long did it take you? Lots of Hugs, Mary
    Also love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These pumpkins look wonderful. Well done....just love them. Hugs Khris in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your pumpkin blocks are great. What a wonderful fall quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, I love the pumpkin quilt, it is wonderful! I might have to see if I can find the pattern somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pumpkin quilt is beautiful.
    I think it's the nicest pumpkin quilt I have seen..

    We are seeing the storms you are having on our news...stay safe and all the best.
    julia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those pumpkin blocks are simply adorable! I really like the muted orange colors. I can hardly wait to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Karen,
    Oh I just love that pumpkin quilt it is sooooooooo beautiful. I think I am going to have to chase that pattern up.
    Kind regards from Liz

    ReplyDelete