QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

SEEING DOUBLE?

Are you seeing double? Don't worry because your eyes are not playing games with you. I am working on two table runners at the same time and both from the same pattern. I don't usually make two of the same thing. I have too many projects I want to make to do that. This time is for a special reason. What could the reason be? Could it be a special number coming up? More on this to come.


I purchased the book "A People and Their Quilts" by John Rice Irwin in the Smokey Mountain National Park. My husband came across the book in one of the gift shops and pointed it out to me. He thought it would interest me. I enjoyed reading part of it on our trip and have more to go. It is about quilters in the Appalachian Mountains. There are many stories to read and lots of pictures. Many of the pictures are in color and I wish they all were. I know the cost of doing that would make the book much more expensive. And many were black & white photos provided by family members of the quilters. It is a very interesting read and may provide inspiration for those of you that like to re-create antique quilts in one form or another. There is a picture of a quilt called "The Hanging Elephant Quilt". It was made by senior citizens of a club. There are twenty blocks and each was to represent a memorable event in that person's life. Evidently there was a circus elephant named Mary who killed her second human being in a town in Tennessee. She was condemned to die. The author says there was no guns big enough to do the job safely and effectively. The elephant was brought to a large railroad derrick which was used to publicly hang the elephant. The block shows a crane like affair on wheels like a railroad car and the elephant hanging from the end. The block was made in 1916.
Another photo is of a quilt the author refers to as "The Bedsheet & Washtowel Quilt". It was made by a woman confined to a mental institution for over 60 years. She unraveled towels, wash cloths and rags for the colored thread she used to create her designs. The quilt is very folk art looking. Very interesting.
The book was $21.95 at the park and well worth the price for me.
I was to the dentist this morning and left them a check for almost $800. I had decay under a crown. I wish they could come up with a way to reuse the crown they take off instead of having to make a new one. I had an explanation one time of why that is not possible. I hope this takes care of the discomfort I have been having. The dentist says she can't guarantee that it will cure my discomfort with hot and cold stuff. I may still need a root canal done. I have been going to this dentist for a year. I had dental insurance last year and she accepted that plan. Now I no longer have the dental insurance but I am sticking with her. She says she is from a family of 8 children and understands why a person can't afford to have every dental procedure done that can be done. She says she won't push her patients to have expensive things done that aren't absolutely needed. Today I only had to have one injection of novacaine and even that didn't hurt. I think almost all of us hate to get in the dentist's chair! Once in the chair, I wonder why I chose to submit myself to the torture.
Time for me to get busy on something creative. Thanks for stopping by.
Karen

17 comments:

  1. gosh.. Thankyou... I thought I was... ;o)
    Love them...I can feel the autumn coming here in Sweden...and it´s tooo soon...hope for many more summerdays...
    Horrible story about the elephant...
    And dentist...sigh..hate to go...cause it is so expensiv!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the autumn table runners...
    The book sounds very interesting...
    Dentists aren't usually my friend, but I like the one I have now...but he will be retiring soon I am sure...
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat table runners, and what intertesting stories.

    I HATE the dentist. But what choice do we have?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the table runner Karen. I was just thinking this morning that it's almost time to get out fall placemats - wishful thinking? I also like your book. I love stories about mountain people and how they made do with what they had. We should learn from them. Blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you poor girl! I am terrified to go to the dentist...and ouch on that bill!

    The book sounds interesting, and I love the runners :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for you going to the dentist but it's better to take care of that decay under the crown now than wait until they have to do this thing called a post & core (I think). Trust me. It's not fun or cheap.

    I LOVE the table runners. Fall is my favorite time of the year and it just can't get here soon enough. I dream of a nice cool breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful table runners. Good luck with the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the book sounds really interesting - the elephant story is a little off putting tho....!! your table runners are lovely...good idea to make two at a time...I often think if the item is a gift for someone else that I will make one for me later on....doesn't happen!! LOL My dentist has just built new rooms....everything is lovely and clean and bright...and well...new!...I am sure he is wanting to build on a new wing to his house or perhaps a pool with the quote I got to do some work on my teeth!! Got to be done but boy it is expensive....I told him just because I was a Princess it didn't mean that all my teeth had to have crowns!!!....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those table runners...so cute. Your dentist story made me squirm...I have been putting off a trip to my dentist, I keep downing the ibuprofen...very bad I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Autumn table runners are beautiful! Visits to the dentist are never fun nor inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Autumn runners!

    I detest going to the dentist - pain in my mouth and my wallet. Sigh!

    The book does sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tablerunners, I'm the same I don't like making the same thing twice. Sounds like a good book to read.

    Dentist office is not fun but it needs to be done, since we need our teeth for a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i LOVE the autumn table runner!!!
    seriously LOVE it!!!

    boo to the dentist!!!
    :O(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you came across that book. I've had it for a couple of years and love to go back and read the stories again and again. A lot of great inspiration in there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the table runners. Fall is most favorite of all the seasons. I'm going to Smokey Mountains for a week. I'm counting the days down with 32 more to go. I'll have to look for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that book does sound very interesting...especially love the story about "The Bedsheet & Washtowel Quilt"....makes you feel sad for that lady though...hugs Khris in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely table runners! I have that pattern - someday . . . .

    I've read that book twice - checked it out from our guild library. It's a marvelous book!

    ReplyDelete