QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

PROJECT UPDATE

No projects finished but progress has been made. I finally finished the applique on the pinwheels with the circles. The blocks need pressed and sewn together. This is certainly a different look fabric wise from what I normally work with. My husband says it looks "rather bland" for me. I am not sure I will be entirely happy with this quilt when finished. The blocks are all stacked now and I am waiting for the sewing area to get cleared enough that I can sew them together. I am cutting from my scrap baskets right now and have little piles every where you look in the sewing room.

Next, I got the Setting Sun blocks done and the sashings on. No border as of yet. I like this quilt top better now that I laid it out on the floor for a photo. The tan fabric in the sashings with the tiny little flowers gives the quilt a busier look than I had intended.






Blogger is not being very cooperative today. Moving the photos to the correct spot is not going the way it should. Guess I will have to go with the way it is.

I finished the basket quilt top. I don't know what I did wrong but one side was certainly longer than the other. I discovered that when I went to do borders. The blocks had all been trimmed to equal size before setting them together. One setting strip was longer than the rest. I did some un-sewing, trimmed it, then sewed things together again and that seemed to work. Guess there was some stretching in the last basket row when I sewed it together. The borders went on fine. I pieced a backing for the quilt. Please excuse the wrinkled back. It certainly needs a good pressing before going any further on this project. My back is bothering me too much right now to place the layers out on the floor for spray basting. I will worry about pressing the backing somewhere along the line.

I had my second nerve block done in my lower back this past Monday. Right now I am uncomfortable so I don't know how much good it is doing. I understand you can have discomfort for a couple days afte the injections. I tried going for a little walk last night to test out whether it had helped. We walked here in the neighborhood. I made it half a block and had to come back home. I do better in the grocery store as I have the cart to lean on. That relieves the pain in the back. I think my walking should just be with a shopping cart. The quilt shops need to have shopping carts for me to push around if they want my business right now. Luckily, I can still shop online just fine!

Libby from a Simple Girl has got me in the mood to make some of those stockings she has been showing on her blog. I ordered a stocking pattern this morning from Primitive Gatherings. She is going to put Christmas gifts in the ones she is making. No paper wrap for her. I wouldn't care if I got a gift or not if I got a nice primitive looking stocking like those! I don't think my grandchildren would feel the same way, though.

Back to my scrap basket fabric cutting. Why is it that the scrap basket never looks any emptier when I get done cutting from it? I am working on a LeMoyne star project. The 12" stars came from my fabric stash but the 6" stars have all come out of the scrap basket. I am using a Judy Martin layout for the quilt but making the LeMoyne stars from another method where you do not have any "Y" seams. They are made from squares and rectangles only. I made a note on the side of the pattern for how many blocks of each size I would need for her layout. There are also some plain blocks in the layout. I made a mistake and thought I needed 56 of the 6" stars when I read my notes. Instead, it was 56 of the plain blocks and 36 of the 6" stars. Since I had cut extra, I decided just to cut some more from the scrap basket and store them for a future sewing project. I will post a photo of project progress next time. I have all the 12" stars made but they are in two sections each. Judy's setting (quilt pattern is called Judy's Star, I think)(correction: the pattern is called Judy's Fancy) requires that the two halves be sewn together when making the rows. Hard to explain unless you see the pattern.

Time for me to get back to the sewing room. Have a great day and thanks for visiting my blog.

Karen

20 comments:

Paula said...

Your setting sun quilt is amazing. I can't wait to see the borders. And, I love the basket quilt. I'll have to add that to my list of "someday quilts". Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Darlene said...

Amazing - always amazing eye candy! You'll love your "wheels" when it's finished. :-) If not then send it to me. teehee

Last night I was thinking about you - why? I was appliquing little baskets and they are looking wonderful.

Stina said...

Oh I hope you will be without pain very soon... Cross my fingers for that!!! And an extra thought every day!!! And I love your pinwheel blocks...think they are LOVELY!!! :o)And I say the same as Darlene...send them to me... we can split the blocks... LOL... ;o)
No...you are going to love them when spring comes!!! :o)
Take care...

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Wow Karen, you've been busy despite your ongoing back pain problem! Did you hand or machine applique the circles onto the pinwheels? What a job, so I'd give the quilt a chance once you have them sewn together and then see. Maybe it needs some sashing or something? I dunno. Love the other projects you've been working on and Lemoyne star without Y seams? Be still my star-loving heart!

bingo~bonnie said...

What an attractive quilt your Setting Sun is!!! I've never seen that pattern before and I love that you used shirtings :) I'm a fan of Bonnie Hunter's new book... and findign myself mad for plaid everywhere I look.

I'm new to your blog - found you thru Crazy'boutquilts blog - you're at the top of her list in her sidebar ;) ...so I don't know the details about your back pain but hope that your shot treatments give you some relief. I have a feeling that I'll have problems in my future...as I don't recall a day that my back didn't hurt. I'm wiating on paperwork now for a breast reduction. Sure hope the insutance compnay gives me the go ahead soon.

sorry so long...that's the thing with quilters, we all think we alredy know one another ;) I'll be back ;) again soon. Feel free to visit my blogs too. Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Betweens said...

Your quilts are ALL gorgeous. I love each and everyone of them..even "Bland" a little suggestion think about your block layout and maybe a broken sashing with your scraps that might liven it up for you..if you are still not happy email me and I will send you my address... I am sure I can find a happy place in my home.LOL
Just read the other posts.. girls can we split them 3ways??LOL
Get better soon Darlene.. maybe see a chiropractor they do wonders.

Libby said...

Wow - those are some fantastic projects you have going. I can't wait to see your stocking. I have the Primitive Gatherings book . . . I know I said I was done with the stocking project, but I may have just one more in me. They are just so darned cute!

craftycherry said...

Gosh what gorgeous quilts. Total drawl material there! My quilts seem very uninteresting now!
I love the browns, Im like you I use lots of browns but this is the recession now and as well as eating rabbits and pigeons and mybe even possums I have to use up my stash which when I started quilting three yrs ago was a lot of colours, however seeing your quilts and knowing that i have to go to the quilt shop to pick up some thimbles I may stray!!
Love Crafty Cherry

Julia said...

Beautiful quilts Karen..
I love them all.
Great work on the cross sticth quilt...
I hope your back pain eases, back pain is the worst...

Karen said...

I hope your back feels better soon. I really like the Setting Sun quilt!
Karen

Catherine said...

I personally love your pinwheels and circles quilt...going through a pale phase at the moment. Hope your back improves quickly...nothing worse!! Cathy

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims and Gardens said...

Your quilts are beautiful, and I am so impressed with your spirit to just keep going even with your pain. Isn't it nice to have quilting to focus on! I pray the nerve block gives you more comfort, and yes maybe quilt shops could at least get you a little cart...lol...
The Christmas stockings sound like alot of fun to make.

Patti said...

Truly wonderful projects you are working on! I especially love the Setting Sun quilt. Makes me think of two of the blocks in my Girl Gang UFO. I'd love to make a quilt with just those blocks.

em's scrapbag said...

Your flimsies are beautiful. Always feels good to make progress on a project. Looking forward to seeing how the continue to progress.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love all 3 quilts! They are gorgeous! I"ve often thought about attempting wheels - I sure love yours!

Kim said...

I simply do not see bland anywhere in this post, just different shades of wonderful - if you ask me! It's good to use color that is out of your ordinary choices to change things us a bit. :)

Ginger Patches said...

If that quilt is too bland for you I will gladly take it off your hands lol!! I think it's beautiful :) I'm working with scraps right now too and can barely move around my sewing room! I hope your nerve block gives you some relief soon--back pain is just the worst!

Kathy said...

I love your basket quilt. The "wheels' looks difficult! Doesn't it feel good to get something done?

Come by and visit my blog -- you've received an award

Marilyn R said...

I love all of the quilts you have shown but the Setting Sun is simply stunning! Wow!

Diane said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today at www.persnicketyquilts.blogspot.com. It's always fun to see a new name in the comments. The quilts in this post are beautiful. I have templates for the "setting sun" block but have yet to make one. I love yours!