QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Saturday, December 13, 2008

CHRISTMAS QUILTS

Welcome! With Christmas getting nearer, I thought I would post more pictures of some quilts I put out at Christmas time. The first is what I would call a large wall quilt. I made it for RJR Fabrics to be used in their booth at market several years ago. I think it is all Thimbleberries fabric. The design was inspired by an antique quilt that I saw a picture of. I also made another like this pattern in reproduction fabrics. Lots of flying geese on this one.

The second is a table runner village scene. Many of you will recognize that the pattern is from a Thimbleberries book and is called "Twilight Village". I made it in 1993.


And last is a close up of the Santa quilt I showed in my last post. I was asked to show a close up of Santa in his sleigh.

Now that brings me to a question I hope someone can answer. You used to be able to click on my blog photos and they would enlarge. That no longer happens. I know that I can sometimes enlarge on another person's blog and maybe not on the next one. I figure it is some simple thing I changed in settings somewhere along the line but I don't know what it is. Any enlightenment for me?

Today is lunch at my friend Susan's home. I showed you photos of her fall decorations back in October when she had our little quilting group over for lunch. She goes all out for Christmas decorating in a primitive style. It should be an enjoyable day. Her lunches are always delicious. I am taking a wool project along to work on today.

Last Saturday was another of my quilting groups holiday get-together. I forgot to take my camera. I realized that when I was about 30 miles from home. Rosy had her table all decorated in red, white, and gold. Very pretty. It was a pot luck lunch. I made a squash & corn casserole that always goes over well. Rosy prepared a hot chicken salad. One of the ladies brought cupcakes that were like eating Boston Cream pie. Everyone thought they were delicious. I also took Poteca bread which is a nut roll, so that was my dessert. My grandmother (father's mother) was from Czechoslovakia and she always made nut roll for special occassions. She did not use a written recipe. My mother had her make it one time while she watched but was not able to get an accurate recipe. I came across the recipe for the Poteca bread and realized it looked very much like Grandma's. I have been making it once or twice a year since. My mother said it was the same except for the honey I use and that the honey makes it better. She said Grandma would have been proud of me.

We played some games that Rosy came up with. She passed around a roll of toilet tissue and told us to take just what we thought we needed and would give us no more hint. Some took two little sections and some more. I took a good bit. When it was time for the game, she had has put our hands behind our back and we had to try to tie a bow with our toilet tissue. Now that was a challenge for those who took a very small amount! Her daughter & grand-daughter were there to help with the lunch. They were the judges to choose who tied the prettiest bow. My bow was kind of sloppy. Probably because I had too much paper and who can tie a pretty bow with it behind your back? Fun game and we laughed a lot.

I have been busy working on another stocking and a quilt that is from the same pattern. I cannot show either just yet.

Time for me to get ready for the day's festivities. Come back soon for another visit.

Karen

19 comments:

  1. I just love your christmas quilts... I need to start making myself a larger one...the ones I have don´t match on the sofa...;o) For next year...maybe a vague promise...lol...
    Oh bet you had a good time with trying to make that bow...:o)
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this blogger's post

    http://allenquilts.wordpress.com/2008/12/13/wordpress-photo-posting-change/.

    She was having the same trouble, but has figured out the clickable picture problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such nice quilts, Karen :o) Sounds like you had a wonderful lunch... yum!

    Have a great, fun day today! I hope you get a few snapshots of the primitive Christmas decor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Christmas quilts . . . and I love they don't scream HoHoHo- you can use them beyond December *s*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen would you please put me in your will? I want that first Christmas quilt with all the flying geese! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Christmas quilts are just lovely! Im in the process of making one for myself, but since my own projects always take a back seat to others, it will probably be sometime before i complete it :(
    Your home must look gorgeous with all of those festive quilts...post more pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a fun game with the toilet paper. I'll have to try that on my friends soon. LOL I hope they dont read this. Or they will be cheating.
    Your parties sounded like a lot of fun. And of course your quilts are just beautiful as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, there's a whole html section that tells the photo to enlarge when a person clicks on it and this is paired with the regular photo html; maybe you separated the two html sections, for instance if you tend to move your photos around in Compose mode rather than HTML? I would suggest uploading one photo, not moving anything around, and publish or preview to see if the photo will get bigger when you click on it. Thank you for posting the close-up of Santa's sleigh, the quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh more beautiful quilts made by you!
    your lunch and day sounds like so much fun!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always I am so wowed by your quilts. Bummer that they don't enlarge, but thanks for the close up of Santa and his quilt. I made the tree skirt version of the TB house runner. I will see it soon at my son's house! Your stockings are all so cute and I love the Flying Geese quilt too! I love seeing all the blogs decked out for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blogger problem is a common one and it has to do with moving the pictures around in composer mode...often the html which points to the enlarged picture doesn't get move at the same time. There are 2 solutions...one is that when you are moving your pictures, switch to the html and grab all the code associated with it and then cut and paste it into the new location...or if you want to try something completely different and you are using Firefox you can use a plugin called scribefire http://www.scribefire.com/ which is a composer program that sits within Firefox. I use it and I find blogging and posting pictures much easier. Hope this helps...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow the quilt show is spectacular!! Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful Christmas quilts! Thanks for showing them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all your Christmas quilts, and the stockings you are making. The detail on the santa sleigh is perfect. Santa's gonna need that quilt this year for sure.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful quilts. Sounds like you are having a very Merry time. I am having the same problem with some of my pictures, so I can't wait to read the link Paula gave.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to say I love that santa in the sleigh quilt. That is toooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Wow. I love the flying geese quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilts are lovely. And Santa's little quilt is too cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen...your Christmas Quilts are sooo adorable, just Love Them! Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete