QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Monday, December 29, 2008

MINIATURE QUILT

I have been trying to ignore the closet in my sewing room. It is crammed full of important stuff but is rather disorganized now. You know how you have to move one thing to get to another and sometimes two or three things. And then you don't put things back where they should be because you are waiting to return the item you had to dig out. Well, I just reached in the other day and grabbed the first unfinished project my hands touched and I decided to finish it. It happened to be a miniature quilt, so it did not take long to finish. I don't know how long it has been waiting for the quilting. I know I made two. One was for the quilt guild miniature auction and this one for myself. I imagine it has been three years at least. The quilt is 15 inches square. I did not use a pattern but used Electric Quilt to get my measurements. I had admired a framed picture of a quilt in a catalog that Jo Morton had made and decided to make my own quilt. I do not know what size Jo's quilt was made but for the guild auction, the quilts were supposed to be in the range of 15 inches or less per side. I had intended to hand quilt the piece but decided to forgo that since it had sat waiting for it's turn for so long. It was very quick to machine quilt and then do the binding on.

Since I am in a finishing mood, I have quilted two other pieces. On one, I am sewing the binding down by hand as I always do. The other, I still have to make binding for. I should have something to show later in the week.

Also, I have gone back to my pumpkin blocks from The Great Pumpkin Quilt. The blocks were all ready for the machine stitching part of the applique. I think the group started too late in the year to reasonably finish them for the fall season. I know for me, other things got in the way. I started machine stitching last night. My problem now is that I can't find where I put the pattern. I need it to mark the hand embroidery that needs done on the blocks. I have looked in the obvious places and I don't think it is in the exploding closet. I do know I will find it in the last place I look! Wish me luck.

I am going to the doctor in just a little bit for another injection in my knee. I am trying to hold off getting my second knee replacement by getting the series of injections. The first surgery was a tough recovery period for me, so I hope these injections keep me going another year. I had a series a little over a year ago and am happy that they worked then.

Hope you have a Happy New Year. Enjoy the parades and football if that is your thing. All others, hope you get lots of sewing time in. I know I plan to. We usually stay home on New Year's Eve. It is safer than being out on the roads.

Karen

21 comments:

  1. Love it, love it! Great finish!

    Ouchie! (sorry I couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little quilt. I need to do some reaching in the cabinet myself. LOL I'm so afraid of what I might pull out though. Or all of it will come tumbling out all over me. LOLOL!! So if I go missing you know I reached in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your miniature quilt is wonderful, I love red and baskets. Finished is always good, so machine quilting works for me too. My best wishes to you and your knee. Hope it works well this time too.
    Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Karen, Your miniature basket quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love it sooooo much!!! I have Jo's this basket pattern and I need to make it in near the future. Thank you for inspireing me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cut little quilts. i LOVE the minis"!Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little quilt! I am very afraid to reach into my cabinet :o) You were very brave! Can't wait to see what else you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well here's hoping those shots work wonders! I love mini quilts too, and I have a bunch of tops just waiting for quilting. I think everyone has a closet like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it is perfect! I"m so glad you finished it! It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is adorable! I'm glad you reached into that cabinet--that's one way to choose projects lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute little quilt...
    I love red and baskets. Finished is always good..
    I wonder what else is in the closet..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is one sweet little number! Doesn't it feel great to have another finish and it is yours all yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year Karen,
    Your miniature is fantastic. I have had to get cortisone shots in my knees and they have worked for 2 years now. They are beginning to hurt a little but I will wait. Oh! those shots hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how sweet is your little quilt! :) Very pretty - and it very much looks like a Jo Morton quilt to me! I love those finishing moods - so unfortunate that I don't get into one very often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have one of those closets too...LOL! Great finish.
    Hope you get some relief with your knee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a pretty quilt you have made and I love the colors you used. I have two small quilts that need quilted and reading your post reminds me...
    We were last night invited to a party with friends at their home for New Years Eve so we're breaking our tradition of staying home. I am looking forward to hanging out with them, sounds fun, they are great people. Then we're off to the lake house in KY to see our little grandkids who live in that area. Another busy few days coming up. Wishing you a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the injections will do just as you hope . . . . no need to go through surgery before the time is right.
    Love your little finish. I like the idea of just taking whatever you touch first to work on - can't talk yourself out of it that way *s*
    We are Rose Parade watchers here - I look forward to it every year . . . . someday I hope to see it in person. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a cute little quilt...a new years gift to yourself :)
    we hibernate on new years eve as well...i prefer to be home with my family, safe, warm and cozy! Thats the perfect New Year to me :)
    cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute little quilt! Hope the injection works a little magic and you have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love it!! Those small quilts are addicting aren't they! Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete