QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

MORE STOCKINGS AND A CHRISTMAS QUILT

Welcome to my blog! I am having trouble getting photos downloaded from the Kodak software today. The download stopped in the middle and it took several tries to get things going again. I deleted a couple photos and then tried downloading to my blog. Those photos I had deleted showed up again! Then I couldn't get them to delete using the blog edit function. I think I finally got the photos I wanted onto here and rid of those I don't.


I made two more stockings and they look very much like those I already made. A few different fabric choices as I ran out of what I used on the first two, but basically they look the same. This time on the angels stocking, I did not use batting and quilt it. That gave it enough width to tuck in the little gift I made. I can't show you a photo of the gift but I should be able to do that before Christmas. I don't want to spoil the surprise for someone.




I guess I should say that I made three stockings instead of two because I also made a smaller wool stocking. It does not have a lining in it. If I make one again from that pattern, I think I will change the construction method. Maybe include a lining. I will have to think about that.

I want to show you a Christmas quilt I made several years ago. I don't know when I made it because it does not have a label on it but it was probably about 1995 or earlier. I don't know how I missed making a label for it. Santa's sleigh has a little quilt attached. I think I misread the cutting measurements for the quilt pieces because it took many more than it was supposed to. Or maybe the quantity needed was misprinted. There are fabrics in the sleigh to represent bolts of fabric. That's something we all would probably like Santa to bring. I have had lots of nice compliments on this quilt over the years. And a few people have tried to talk me into giving them the quilt. It is funny how I remember many of the fabrics I used. This was a very early applique piece for me. I did it on the machine and it looks like I used invisible thread to do it. Some parts of the buildings are pieced and some parts are done by applique. I didn't do much quilting and it was done by machine. If I were to make this again, I would change some of the construction methods. I have learned a lot during my 18 years of making quilts.

I tried pinning the quilt to the design board for the photo but it kept falling down. I gave up and spread it out on the carpet.


Nothing new and exciting here. I am going to sign off, have some lunch, and then play in my sewing room. I should photograph the room. It is a mess! Me being creative always seem to create a mess.


Karen

15 comments:

  1. Love your Christmas quilt and all your stockings. It's good to have a look at an older quilt and realize how far you've come in your years of quilting. Maybe you should add a label anyway?
    Also enjoyed the pics of your Pokeberry quilt top too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still loving those stockings :o) That is a neat quilt! What a great pattern and nice work! I have never seen that pattern before... cute!

    My sewing room is in shambles right now.. more from throwing stuff on the counter and not putting it away rather than being creative... soon! Very soon it will be taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...more wonderful stockings... ahhh...so lovely...:o)
    Hmmm aint it annoying when all the "stuf" like computers...cameras and whatever we have in our life does this...and the next day...no problem at all!!
    Loved to see your "oldie"...:o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your stockings and your Quilt is great too!! Dont you love Christmas things!! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Christmas quilt is so darling. Any chance of a close-up of the sleigh? I can't see the quilt and the fabric bolts :-) !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep saying I'm going to make some more stockings and hang them on the column outside my front door - but haven't gotten to it yet. I sure like yours, especially the star one (I may copy that!) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the stockings are just wonderful
    what an awesome present to someone.
    Your Christmas quilt is beautiful
    Love the sleigh in it
    Isn't it nice to go back and look at our earlier work and be amazed at what we have learned?
    thanks for sharing your work with us.
    I really enjoy seeing it
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen,
    I love all of your stockings. We are to take pictures of our sewing rooms after this time of the year. I haven't cleaned mine since the show and there is stuff everywhere. Can't find a thing.
    Merry Christmas,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stockings are so cute. I love that Santa quilt just adorable! Please show pictures of your messy sewing room so I can be in good company :) And it will make me feel better lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great Christmas quilt . . . . why wouldn't Santa travel with a quilt on his sleigh *s* You've got a great collection of stockings going. I think I'm going to fill some of mine today and put them under the tree. I sure hope it looks like I have it pictured in my mind *s*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stockings are fantastic. I've been wondering about batting or not in a stocking. I'm making a couple from a cheater panel and wondering if it better to have batting or leave it out. Do you always not put the batting in?
    I love the Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stockings are just the cutest. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Isn't Christmas time great?! So many things to do and still you seem to be able to crank out the wonderful projects. Happy holidays!


    -modalissa

    ReplyDelete