QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Thursday, January 1, 2009

NEW QUILT FOR THE NEW YEAR

Happy New Year to all! It is 67 degrees here today and overcast, though the sun is beginning to peep out. Tomorrow is forecast for 74 degrees. We are coming into the two months of cooler weather for this area. I feel for all of you that have to go out and shovel snow. I had plenty of that when we lived in Ohio. I would love a chance to build a snowman, though.



I finished a new quilt last night on New Year's Eve. We find being home on New Year's Eve the safest thing to do. The quilt pattern is by Rhonda Dohna and is called "Blue Jug Summer". I forget the exact measurements but I think it is around 47" square. After quilting, I lost a few triangle points squaring up the quilt. That can happen when you have a pieced border. The applique was "peel and stick" with a very small machine button hole stitch. I just don't have time to hand applique every project I want to do. I have several projects awaiting for hand applique but I decided this past year that some projects would get the machine method. I have another center all layed out and waiting for machine stitching. It is identical to this one. I don't think I will put three borders on it like this one, though. The finished quilt is for a friend and I hope that she will like it.

I have the "Church Cat" quilt ready for doing the hand stitching part of the binding. Maybe I will get to that later today. I also did some machine button hole stitching on "The Great Pumpkin Quilt" this morning. I rather do this kind of thing than watch football today!

We have a pork roast and sauerkraut cooking in the crock pot. We are both from northeastern part of Ohio. For that area, the pork and kraut are the traditional good luck foods for the new year. Lots of people in the south eat black eyed peas on New Years but that is one thing that I really don't care for.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Hope you enjoy your New Year's day whatever you do.

Karen

24 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this quilt and you made two! Good for you!!! You must have one very special friend in mind. You said peel and stick applique? What brand are you using? This just might be the way to go with some small applique projects I'd like to do this year. They won't require wash after wash...or does this peel and stick wash up well?

    Church cat quilt? Is it shown in an older posting? I'm intrigued.

    Happy New Year....and ah that weather sounds devine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt...it is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful quilt ! Happy new year to you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, If your friend doesn't like the quilt I'm sure I could find a home for it here! It's simply wonderful and if you lost some points I sure can't tell it. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilts and your blog. Thank you for dropping in on me, now I will drop in on you :)))
    Hugs Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new quilt. A great finish for 2008. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt because I did one using the same pattern. You can see my version on my Nov.17 entry on my blog. I have a hand applique class using this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great was to start the year!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that quilt. I'm sure she will love it, but if not I would be happy to take it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is fabulous! I have that pattern in my 'to do' pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang. I have quite a few of her patterns but not this one. And I LOVE this! It is goreous! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, absolutely love this quilt. Sigh - I wish I was the friend receiving this beauty. I can tell you that the recepient will LOVE it. Drop dead gorgeous, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year! I love your beautiful quilty! So pretty :o) I am excited to see the Pumpkin quilt! I am glad yours is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh your quilt is so GORGEOUS!
    And listen to you talking about 67 degrees and not having to shovel snow!!! *sticks tongue out* I'm so jealous. :( Lol*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is just a beauty . . . . and there's another just like it *wow*
    We have the same sort of weather pattern here on the west coast - cold to use, but not worthy of complaining over when so many have it REALLY cold *s*
    Hope you have a fabulous new year that brings you only the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilt is gorgeous! Your friend will definitely love it...
    We haven't had sauerkraut in quite a while. Sounds like something to have this coming week! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is lovely. I really like the colors. Hope you have a wonderful new year. Happy stitching, Em

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blue Jug Summer is wonderful! Also love the miniature basket quilt. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your little quilt. The Churn Dash blocks in the border just set off the applique! Quilting is a great way to bring in the new year as far as I am concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Karen I love that quilt! How big are those churndashes in the border? Sooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really pretty; I love the churn dash blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful job and what a lovely quilt! Just perfect! *s*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your quilt and the border with the churn dash blocks give it a different look!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, you are zipping thu the quilts! I love them all, and this blue one is really pretty! Great design and color!

    ReplyDelete