QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

NOAH, THE SNOWMAN, & THIMBLES

Hello, friends! As you can see by the photo, "Noah" is finished. I think the red border was the right framing for the quilt. As I mentioned in my last post, the pattern had a pieced border that was very busy. I felt there was enough going with the inside of the quilt that the pieced border would take away from it. I tried laying several different plaid fabrics by the quilt and none seemed to want to be there. I tried a plainer blue fabric and it just seemed blah. The brownish red seemed to want to be there. I did simple machine quilting on the piece as done is better than not being done .
I picked up something off the sewing room floor to put it away the other day and beneath was the snowman top I thought had been given away. I am glad that I found it as I do like it. I machine quilted it, added the binding, and displayed it in the front entry way (photo is taken on the living room floor as usual). Hey, it's still January and time for snowmen. The pattern used was another of Joined at the Hip's button up patterns. I am not using it as a button up same as the bunny one I finished a couple weeks ago. I made a big snowman quilt for a friend from a Minnick pattern. I made one of these button up snowmen as part of the backing. A nice surprise for the back.




I have a thimble collection. My new blog friend, Linda from Australia, asked me to tell her more about the thimbles as she has a silver thimble collection. My main interest has been in the old advertising thimbles. The ones that were give-aways. They are a light weight metal with a band of color near the bottom. The company name is printed on that band. I have some of the plastic ones that also have advertising on them. One time I purchased a small collection of thimbles at a quilt guild auction. They are the kind that you could never really use as a thimble. Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus are from wood. Many are ceramic thimbles. Some have been given to me by friends. Some are in shapes on the top end that would never work in sewing. I have them displayed on an old wood printer's tray. I have a few that are little sewing kits. They look like a tube of lipstick. The thimble is in the top of the tube cap. When the cap is removed from the tube, the thimble comes out and there is a needle & tiny spools of thread on a spindle inside. There are the sewing machine pins that were give-aways by Clotilde Notions catalog. They are representative of antique sewing machines. There is a treadle sewing machine ornament. I have been given some decorative tape measures. An old St. Joseph's Aspirin tin, an old wood spool of silk thread. Just whatever little things fit on the tray.
Tomorrow is the big day and I am a bit nervous. I always get that way before surgery. It is kind of like going to the dentist. I always wonder why I am submitting myself to the torture while sitting in the dentist's chair. You know you need to do it but it's not fun. Going to the dentist is no longer the painful experience it used to be when I was younger and I don't mind so much anymore. Gotta do what you gotta do! I had an office visit with my pain management doctor yesterday. He seems to think recovery is going to take longer than I expect and to be with a lot of pain. Not encouraging but I am going to go by what the surgeon and his assistant have told me. I got through knee replacement recovery and that was very hard. I can get through the back surgery and hopefully be in a lot better shape. Thank you so much for all the good wishes that my surgery go well and recovery be good. It means a lot to me.
I will post again after I am home from the hospital and able to sit at the computer long enough to do it. Probably no photos to post but I will let you know how things are going.
My door is always open to you. Please come back for another visit here in Blogland.
Karen



21 comments:

  1. Again... good luck and speedy recovery... we will all be here when you are ready for your great return! I enjoy our friendship so much and so glad to have met you.:o) I will be thinking about you tomorrow and saying prayers for things to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Wishing you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery Karen!

    Love the snowman wallhanging and the red border on Noah's quilt is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be in my thoughts all day tomorrow and will anxiously await your return here to blogland. I knew you'd post before you went...but with two more finishes!! Your killing me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes for your surgery tomorrow. May all go well and your body recover quickly. The Noah quilt turned out great. The border choice was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    You are so brave, comparing your surgery to a dentist appt. My very best wishes to you and for a speedy, less painful recovery. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
    I love the border on Noah Quilt, you chose perfectly, it really lets your eye go to the center of the quilt. Snowmen are perfect all winter long, glad to hear you are warming up there too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collected thimbles many years ago, but it never got very far. Now I just collect quilty stuff! Good luck on your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery! We will be waiting anxiously here for your return!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen...the border on the quilt is just right!! ....I have a few thimbles I have collected over the years but yours is a very interesting collection indeed! Thanks for sharing!....Good luck with the surgery.....will be waiting to hear how it went when you are up and about again....take care!

    word verification: epatico - is that like sympatico?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Karen... I will have you in my thoughts tomorrow and I wish you all the luck with the surgery!!!
    And as Colleen said...we will all be here when you get back...:o)
    And you sure made up your mind ...to finish that quilt before surgery and that you did and a nother onw... oh my gosh ...you are amazing!!! :o)
    Good luck..and take care.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your Noah quilt is wonderful, as is your snowman quilt! My daughter has all kinds of thimbles! Hope you have a quick and easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck tomorrow!
    You chose the right border for Noah, perfect colour.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Noah quilt. Great job. The snowman is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute quilts!

    Love the thimble collection.

    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Be well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely quilts. Hope your surgery is successful and that you have a good recovery. Take care.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am thinking of you today as you go in for repairs :)
    hugs for a quick recovery!!! your noahs ark quilt is awesome, and i love the changes you made. the focus should be on the center design, and i think you have accomplished that.

    in the meantime, ive tagged you on my blog...feel free to participate when you have the time or feel up to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first visit to your blog. I've been collecting Noahs for almost 20 years. Love your quilts and thimble collection. Good luck with your surgery and may you have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. By now it's all over and you are resting. Hope it went fine, as I know it did, and you are getting the first of some good nights sleep. Can't wait till you are home and feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karen, just checking in on you. I hope your doing ok and not in too much pain. Hang in there. Hugs
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about and praying for a great recovery. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a little late in commenting . . . but I sure hope everything went well yesterday. Remember - deep cleansing breaths *s*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute snowman and you finished off Noah's Ark, so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just thinking about you and thought I'd stop by to see if you are up and about. Hope your recovery is going well! I absolutely love your Noah's Ark! And the snowman is cute too. I started collecting thimbles last year~ most are from places we've been, but I managed to find a few advertising ones too. It's fun. :-) Thanks for sharing yours! Take care~

    ReplyDelete