QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SALTBOX HOUSE SAMPLER











Hurray! I finally quilted and put the binding on my saltbox house sampler quilt. The top has been done a good while. Probably three years. Why I waited so long to finish? I don't have a good reason because I do love it. The pattern is by Country Quilts. The designer has several patterns available that have saltbox houses, a favorite of mine. The designer lives in Canada.
The quilt is made almost exclusively from brushed cottons. Both front and back. It is going to feel so toasty warm to cover up with.
I tried taking pictures with the quilt spread out on the living room floor. Something about the angle I hold the camera for the shots gives me blurry photos. I am no camera expert. I finally got my husband to take a couple minutes out from preparing dinner so that he could stand on a kitchen chair and hold the quilt.
I must have left the camera on when I last took photos because it worked fine then and it was dead as a door nail today. My husband purchased a battery for me earlier today plus a spare. Now I am back in business.
I started working on an older UFO yesterday evening. It is a Jan Patek/Linda Brannock pattern. I had started hand buttonhole stitching the different elements with black thread. I didn't do much hand applique at the time. I have too much done to take it out and machine applique it, so I am plugging along with needle and floss and working on finishing it. It was almost half done when I picked it up yesterday evening to work on it. I hope I can keep my interest going on it as I really want to finish the quilt. It would be a good feeling.
Time to get busy. I am so glad that you stopped by for a visit and please stop back soon. The door is always open.
Karen




38 comments:

  1. KAREN!! Love it! I have been eyeing that one up for so long... Always wanted to do that one. You and I have such similar taste! Beautiful work :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful finish Karen, I love that quilt, I would have it right up on my wall. Look forward to seeing your next finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woaw, how I love this quilt ! That great that you finished it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really great quilt - love it!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving all your UFOs (scratch that) finishes!! I did I read hubby was making dinner? If so, sounds like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great quilt. I don't know why you waited so long either. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for quilt holders! I love it *s* Sounds like this one may be the coziest in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt. I simply love it. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen, I love this quilt, I've worked on one simalar for years and I just need to finish it. It's on my UFO list...Your work is beautiful.
    Keep Stitchen'
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with Colleen, we have both been eyeing that one for a long time. Does it have a ton of applique in it or are the houses pieced? That is what was really stopping me was the applique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I have mine 1/2 done. I jsut have to finish it now. But it isn't anywhere near as wonderful as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, love it, love it! Surprised? Well, you shouldn't be - I love everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Karen, I admire your discipline to keep plugging away to finish off some UFOs. At this rate you'll finish dozens of them (if there's that many, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh I love this quilt
    you know how much I love house quilts and this one well our dream retirement home is a saltbox house in New England.....
    I hope I can track down this pattern someplace
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful quilt, you must be feeling so pleased with yourself to have it finished and ready to hang and show off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Karen, WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!! I love houses too and that quilt is really adorable! You should feel so good that you are accomplishing finishing it! Lots of Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love this quilt! I think I need to make it to - now I have to track the pattern down! Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  18. That one is the BEST! Love it! What could be better than a house of quilts?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yours quilts are wonderful! I love your country spirit.:-)
    nichi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Three years and not finish it...ahhh...you are worse than me... maybe not...you made the quilt and I not... the pattern is in a drawer... lol...
    I love the quilt to..and someday it will be made...thats a promise...;o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know Karen, there's something about a house quilt that's just so warm and welcoming. I loved the colors in this one and the fact that they're brushed cottons - how cozy is that! One of these days I'm going to make one...when I get my 1/4" seam more reliable. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that quilt! You did a great job. I just got the pattern from The Buggy Barn this week and am looking forward to strating it. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen, your quilt looks wonedrful! I love the fabrics you ahve chosen, it really is terrific!
    Cheers Erica

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that quilt...maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful finish! Good for you! 8-)
    It's a great quilt!
    Happy stitchings! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH Karen it looks so good! One I've always liked and yours turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's beautiful, I love the colors you used for it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mel from Wooden Screen Doors made that quilt and I loved it, so I ordered the BOM and just finished block #2! Yay! I wanna be like you and Mel! Fuzzy fabric, fuzzy photos, right?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love, love, love this quilt. Can you tell me where I can get the pattern? Is it available online?
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your new quilt, do you have a special spot for it? The designer lives in my area, she has some awesome patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Karen, I have that quilt probably half finished. LOL It was one of my "store" projects a couple years ago. Now seeing yours I've got to get mine back out. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG, yet another beauty! I'm in love all over again! Will need to add this one to my list, lol, you are blazing the trail to wonderful quilts for me, lol. The quilting is perfect for this quilt, too. So happy for you that you pulled it out for the finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, I love that quilt! I'd like to add it to my loooooong list of projects to do! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. Please come again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your quilt is gorgeous. I do the same thing sometimes...I get quilts to the point where they are nearly done...and then for some reason I wait a year or so to finish them?!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a stunning quilt!
    Congratulations on a very lovely finish.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete