QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Sunday, January 4, 2009

TWO FINISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR



I have two new finishes for the New Year. I'm on a roll. I figure I need to strike while the iron is hot!
The first quilt is called "Church Cat" and is a Cheri Saffiote pattern. I realized when I viewed the photo, that I forgot the button eyes for the cat. I'll have to search and see if I have any big buttons. The flowers were to have buttons on them, too, but I did not want to cover up the fabrics for the flowers. I started the quilt between Christmas and New Year's, so it did not take long to make. The applique is machine button hole stitched.
The second quilt is from a Joined at the Hip pattern called "Summer at the Farm". I made the top a good while back. I think over a year ago. It is not a big quilt so I don't have an excuse as to why I let it sit unfinished for so long. I like the little quilt blankets on the sheep.
I spray basted another UFO and am going to sit down and machine quilt later today. It is one with wool applique scattered on it, so I am not sure how I am going to quilt it. Probably in a cross hatch grid like I have been doing lately. I just want to get it done. Too many UFO's waiting.
I went to my local quilt shop yesterday. They were very busy. I got there not long after the shop opened. They were having a 20% off sale on Christmas fabric and an end of the bolt sale. I don't know if that is what drew so many people in or if there was something else going on. Maybe a class. My main goal was to pick up my free fat quarters, thread, and a Chaco Liner (I mark the grid work for quilting using these). I wanted to look at fabrics but there were too many people. I'll go back on a week day for that. The shop has a Sew Special club. You get a discount on everything in the store except machine quilting. And each month a free fat quarter. Birthday month, you get an extra fat quarter free. Well, I don't know if you want to call it free. Club membership is $20 per year, but I do get my money's worth from it.
While standing in line with my purchases, the lady in front of me had two fat quarters and she told the cashier that there should be no charge as it was her birthday month. Then I heard her say that her birthday is Monday. Well, lo and behold, so is mine. It isn't often that you find someone with a January 5th birthday. We had a nice conversation about that. I do have a birthday buddy. My good quilting friend, Rosy, has a January 5th birthday. We always try to find a really funny birthday card for each other. One year I made her a small machine applique quilt. It showed a lady popping out of a cake. You could see the legs coming out of the bottom of the cake and a layer of cake on the head of the lady. The lady had no clothes on but the cake covered the important parts. I titled it "Rosy's Birthday Suit". Everyone had a good laugh with that quilt. I do not have a picture of it. Don't know why. I told her that she did not have to keep the quilt. Just treat it like a birthday card.
Hope you are enjoying your day. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
Karen

23 comments:

  1. Those are just adorable!! I really like the farm animals with the quilted blankets! I'd love to just make that part of the quilt for an "over the door" quilt! Too Cute!!

    Also....Happy Birthday to You....just a wee early but in case I forget to send you greetings tomorrow!

    May your birthday be filled with lots of surprises and plenty of time spent doing what you obviously love best...quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday in advance Karen!

    I'm glad to see you're on a roll finishing up projects. Feels great.

    Love the story of your quilt birthday card for your friend Rosy. Maybe she could send you a pic of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are on a roll. I love your two finishes. Those sheep are too cute! I hope that you have a great day tomorrow. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My GOSH!!! Happy Birthday Karen!! I am SOOOO sorry... I didn't know or I definitely would have begiftied you :o)

    Those quilts are ADORABLE! You know my taste and they are absolutely perfect. You do such nice work. I seriously need you to come and teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun quilts, just the thing I'd like to make, but rarely see patterns like that in the UK - I'll just have to get organised and order some from America or Australia. Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Karen I really like the quilting done in both these. The crosshatch looks really good on these!! What a great job on both of them!

    Happy Birthday tommorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Karen! Love both of those finishes! That's a great way to start the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Karen.
    Your off to a great start this year.
    may the rest of the year be just as productive ..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy early Birthday Karen. Have a great day tomorrow. Love the quilts. Hurry up and finish the one with the wool applique. I'm dying to see it. It's my "thang", you know? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finishes...at this rate your UFO's will be done in no time!
    Happy Birthday tomorrow! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finishes . . . you inspire me to get working.
    I know of one Jan 5 birthday. There was a boy in my kindergarten class with a Jan 5 birthday. Our teacher made paper balloons with each child's birthday for a particular month. I was so jealous that that boy (oh, I remember his name . . . . don't think I don't *s*) got to take his balloon home a whole week before me. 43 years later I remember his birthday every year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy B-day tomorrow! Hope you have a great day! Your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well, you are off to fabulous start for the new year...these are adorable!
    You are inspiring, and i hope to tackle some UFO's as well!

    Happy Birthday!!!
    hugs~
    lisajo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Karen!!
    Love your 2 finished quilts....beautiful! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go girl!! Congrats on the finished cute quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Karen!!! Those are both so cute!! You have been a busy girl this year :) And I know you've got a third one on the way :)

    I hope you have a truly wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! Love your two finishes, keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your finishes! And Happy Birthday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by by blog. The quilt in my picture is a sampler I made with a mixture of my own original blocks and two from a lady named Rhonda Donna, I believe, she has a web page called acorn hill quilts. The pineapple and the pumpkin, apple thing are from her. I used tea stained homespun as the background fabrics. I was looking through your blog and I love your quilts/projects. I'll be back to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look fab!...off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, how rude am I? I failed to leave Huge Birthday wishes to you - I hope you had a good day!

    Loving everything you're showing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great finishes. There wonderful. As are all of your quilts.

    ReplyDelete