QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

BLOCK UPDATE

Good morning to all! It's a cool Florida day today. Will be in the 60's for a day time high. Not what the spring breakers who have come to enjoy the warm sun want to hear. Tomorrow is another cool day and then a warm up into the high 80's by this weekend. Our northern company that is expected later this week is at Disneyworld right now. They have their daughter and grandson with them. I know they were hoping for warmer weather but at least it is sunny today. A big wind started in yesterday and it is still very breezy today.

Yesterday when we went out for our usual Monday lunch at Beef O'Brady's, we saw a big line up of cars along the roadside. We have been watching a swan on a gigantic nest keeping eggs warm for a while. I had researched on the internet to learn that the eggs take 35 days to hatch. It just seemed like it was more days that we had been driving by and seeing the nest along the water than 35. We noticed people on Sunday standing at water's edge and a lady in a lawn chair sitting on the other side of the pond watching the nest. Evidently the eggs were in the process of hatching. We could not see the babies yesterday as we drove by because of the reeds along the water's edge and through all the people standing close by. I am wondering how many babies there are. There are a number of swans in the neighboring areas. About once a day, two swans visit the water behind our home. This is the first year that we have seen any swans on our little lake. They don't stay for long.

I thought I would show you more of the blocks that I have prepared for stitching that go into the "Liberty Garden" quilt.







This is not all of the blocks that I have ready. Just all that I had room to put on the design wall. I finished preparing all of them this past weekend. I have all the parts ready for the border but thought I would wait until I get the inner part of the quilt top put together before doing the final prep for the border. That is just in case I need to adjust something. The eagle pictured below goes into the quilt also.





Also, an update on the hand applique project I am working on. I have not been spending a lot of time on it but do have four blocks completed and a fifth close to being done. The four completed blocks all have the stripe background. Now I have switched to the busier background. I am using one of the Moda Blackbird Designs fabrics for five of the blocks. There are nine blocks total for the main body of the quilt. This is one of the fabrics that looks like a cross stitch sampler. It makes a busier background but I do like the look.







A couple days ago I was putting some fabrics back into the appropriate shelves and the lid on a larger container slid off. Whoops! A UFO project I had forgotten about. It isn't even that old and I had forgotten it. I started working on the applique preparation in the last few months. I don't remember just when. I think I must have put it away just before I had the back surgery. So, last night I got it out and did some more preparation. I want to get some of the fabrics put away instead of being stored in a container. You never know when I might want to use one of them. I just have too many projects going at one time........but I am happy so I guess it is okay!
That's all for today. Hope you enjoyed looking at my parts and pieces. Come back soon for a visit.
Karen






24 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I love looking at your parts and pieces, you do beautiful work. I really like Liberty Garden, then I am partial to Jan Patek designs. Love the twill backgrounds. With your progress you are going to have two tops done soon.
    Your swan story is delightful, a sure sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing your blocks......makes me want to get out my Liberty garden book and begin....but, alas....too many other projects in the works!!!! Thanks for sharing yours!!!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh Karen ...I love your new blocks... gosh...they are beautiful... Love the backgrounds... both of them ..or all of them... backgrounds is the most difficult for me to find... dont just love the BG... the appliques too..:O)
    Love to read about the swans...my Grandfather was an
    ornithologist...and he was specialized in swans...he travelled for instance to Japan to study them..:o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your new blocks! I really like that striped background fabric. Too bad it's from an older line. You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is beautiful. I've been looking for an eagle to put on a quilt for my son that just earned his Eagle in Scouts. Yours is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love coming by to see what you are working on! :-) I love your projects! Someday I hope to take to applique, but for now it is a struggle~ your projects make me want to learn fast!! LOL
    How neat to have swans in your neighborhood!
    Happy stitchin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the blocks are beautiful...you sure have some awesome quilts....I think I tell you all the time how much I love visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed loking at all your parts and pieces. They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks are so gorgeous! I'd love to make this quilt, too. In the meantime, I can admire yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baby swans! Wonderful :o) You are coming right along with all those blocks.... quilting me into the dust as usual! Gotta love that Jan Patek!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have some gorgeous blocks there. I have the same thing going with the amount of projects but I wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous blocks...I loved seeing each one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work is beautiful Karen. I love everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen, You have been a busy gal. Don't you love our Artic freeze?Have a great day stay warm.Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. But of course I've enjoyed seeing your bits and pieces of lovely work. The swans hatching, now that would be something to see, but doesn't it make the parents a tad nervous to have folks standing about so closely while the action takes place?

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have a duck in our lantana bush in the front of the house - she was here last year and returned. It was exciting to watching the duckling hatch last year but this year the bush is much bigger so we can't see what's happening. She's quite comfortable and the birth is coming soon!

    I love, love,love all your applique projects. I really need to get back to my applique projects. You may have provided the inspiration I need!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Karen everything looks just fabulous! SO happy to see you getting better and back to sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my you are certainly on a roll there Karen! Good for you! 8-)

    Your blocks are all looking great! I look forward to seeing it all put together. 8-)

    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen you have been one busy lady!! I just love your blocks, the colors the applique, just Beautiful! Glad your feeling better too! Many Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful blocks! you are making great progress! I love seeing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always loved the colors and some of those fabrics from that line and love that quilt! I can't wait to see yours all done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are doing some beautiful work. And I am glad to see you are continuing to heal. My mom just had this surgery over the weekend and I have been telling her that it will get better. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen your Liberty Quilt is really making progress, love your appliqued blocks! Gonna start on that one some day, Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love looking at your blocks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete