QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Friday, April 17, 2009

FROM THE CLOSET PART 2

As promised, I am showing your more mystery contents of the sewing room closet. I am working slowly at getting things out. I am trying to make some quilt backs if determined I haven't already prepared one. I am not getting these tops nice and flat on the floor. It is still hard on me bending over, so I just do the best I can with flipping and using my foot to pull the top into place. Then a quick photograph. I like this one with the pink stars that have a brown background. I do like pink & brown together. Reproduction fabrics were used.
More reproduction fabrics were used in this bow tie quilt top. The bow ties are made with the dimensional knot in the center. I find this block fun to make. A nice strippy quilt top.

This one is a favorite of mine. I do like circle type designs. The quilt top is in teals, pinks, and browns mostly. I made it a while back and just haven't taken the time to quilt it. That is a shame because I really do like it. Again reproduction fabrics were used.


The house quilt top is from a Buggy Barn pattern. One of those that you stack your fabrics & shuffle them as you cut out the different parts. It was hard for me to sew these because they turn out wonky and I am used to trying to get things nice and straight. But that is the fun in the Buggy Barn patterns done this way. I found that fabrics without a lot of color contrast within each piece worked better. In other words, tone on tone prints.




Okay, this is a departure for me. Well not the pattern itself but the bright, bright colors. I found the fabrics at a quilt show in a vendor's booth. They spoke to me but I wasn't sure exactly what to do with them. I think this was a good use. I did the applique by using freezer paper under the fabric and glue stick to turn the edges to the freezer paper. The freezer paper stayed in through a wash that released the glue. I didn't do the best invisible stitching on these but it is passable. This will have to be a gift for someone. By the way, I bought the fabrics about four years ago. A bit slow, huh!
Two of the quilt tops I showed you in the previous post are finding new homes. The green & purple double wedding ring and the pink & brown quilt top. By the way, the name of the pattern for the pink & brown quilt top blocks is called Triple Nine Patch.
There is a lot more to show you yet but that is all for today.
Stop back for a visit.
Karen



29 comments:

  1. Wow - the hits just keep on comin' *s* I'm drooling over the keyboard here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are coming clean about the UFo's, I love looking at these tops and especially love the Buggy Barns and mariners compass quilts. Thanks for showing thwm all. I even have some of the fabric in the princess feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them all, but really love the first three. The reproduction fabric is beautiful. The Princess Feather looks like a fun one to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drool....drool....drool.....The first one.....OMG....can I have it? OK...perhaps not...but a girl can dream. You have some amazing finds in that closet...the hits just keep on coming and I'm loving them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Karen...
    Your quilt sre amazing!
    Show us more..
    julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, woooow- what a quilt show!
    Those quilts are beautiful!!
    I especially love your pink & brown quilt and circle quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy your are posting these! These are some very lovely tops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My, I wish I had TREASURES in my closet like these! You are so talented :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my I love your UFO's they are all beautiful. I especially love the one with the black background and bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice post. The quilt with the circles and diamonds is very unique. I've never seen one like it. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment about the antique sewing machine. It is actually a design by AmyBug Designs. I loved it at first sight. It reminded me of my late grandmother.

    Deb
    Rustic Country Handcrafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay...they are all lovely, but the buggy barn is my favorite...that one is just adorable! lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you can't wait to get these finished now that you're beginning to look at them again. I really like them all, but the Buggy Barn quilt is definitely my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are amazing! I am enjoying these posts and hope there are another 25 to go!
    oh my just love these quilts love pink and brown quilts too, need to make one soon!
    but the circle quilt is just AMAZING if it ever needs a new home you know where to send it I promise to love and honor it , hand quilt it!,
    ok, where is the pattern for that one do you remember????
    the buggy barn quilt I am tempted to make as well, just looks fun and would be a great quilt to hang in our home.
    that must have been a challenge to make the princess feather quilt...but like you every once in a while I am inspired by fabrics and have to make something with them that are out of my comfort zone or a quilt kit that is just beautiful and I need to make that quilt (HINT....stay tuned!!!!)
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great quilt show Karen...that closet just keeps on giving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful Sew & Tell of closet goodies in these 2 posts! You do beautiful work, and are great with color combos!
    Don't feel bad about not have some of them done. I have many UFOs that are not even to the point of being a quilt top, but I'm working on it... Though, I keep starting new projects!!! Bad me... 8-)
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! More beauties! I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing all your beautiful quilts. Wow! I want to clean out your closet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very, very beautiful quilts! and a lovely blog. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I will be sure to add your blog to my blog link list.
    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW...and these are in your closet!!!!! Karen.. they are gorgeous... love the reproquilts most...they made my heart beat a little bit faster..:o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen, your quilts are amazing!
    I'm not usually into the bright colors either but I just love the fabrics in the last quilt.
    Thank you for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great quilts. I love pink and brown together too. I have made one quilt in those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karen, I had a lot of fun looking at you closet contents...I think my favorites are the circle quilt and the house quilt...though they are very pretty.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  23. OK I have been gone all weekend and I am catching up here on your show N tell.....Oh My, they are all fabulous, I just love the reproductions. Especially the Jo leaf print border....love it love it....There all amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilts are wonderful Karen. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great quilts-to-be! I especially love the circle type quilt and the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are all so beautiful. I absolutely love the pink and brown star quilt. The border fabric is so terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow! I love the circle one too! That one is wonderful! And that is a buggy barn pattern I've often thought about making!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love every one of these, but am particularly partial to the teal, pink and brown one! These are absolutely glorious!

    ReplyDelete