QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Thursday, April 23, 2009

PART 5 OF OUT OF THE CLOSET

No, I am not done showing you the tops in the closet. I still have a few you haven't seen before but I am coming to ones that I have posted when I finished sewing the top. The first photo is the angel quilt which I did show you a few months ago. It needs backing made and quilting done.
The second photo is of a quilt made with reproduction fabrics. This one was fun to make. I like the border stripe fabric I chose for the sashings between the blocks. It was better sewing the blocks together with sashings than having multiple seams meeting and making lumps that are hard to press flat.
The third quilt top is a street scene. This thing is pretty stiff. Definitely a wall type quilt.

The last picture is a wool applique project. I was thinking of making a pillow with it. Problem is that it is not a standard size. I would have to make the pillow. I can do that but just haven't taken the time. I used cottons for the base fabric on this. Also, the flag is made from a cotton stripe.


I know you all are thinking that I have a riduculous number of quilt tops that need something done with them. I 100% agree. One top is on its way to a new home and I have one that I am definitely donating to a charity as I know I will never finish it. I keep thinking that, if I were to finish all these quilt projects, what am I going to do with them?? I already have quite a pile of finished quilts from over the years. I have the need to create so I don't think I will get out of the quilting fever any time soon. I have some decisions to make about some of the quilt tops before putting them back on hangers in the closet.
I think I will photograph any quilt tops left that I haven't posted before and maybe skip those that I have. Unless there is a big cry out for seeing them again. I will definitely post them again when they are finished or at least when I am working on them. I have several UFO projects that aren't to a quilt top state yet. The list just goes on and on!
I purchased some one inch hexagon papers that arrived today. I am thinking I may have made a mistake. I already have 1/2 inch ones. The one inch look so big. Maybe I needed 3/4" papers. I am not starting on the project for quite some time. Have to think about this.
Thanks for stopping by for a look!
Karen



19 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying your blog for some time and your quilts,too. Thanks for cleaning out the closet. I see you are a topper. Have you ever counted how many tops are waiting for quilting? I mean, are you my competition for the contest on having the most quilt tops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilts, the street scene is my favorite out of this bunch. If there are ones that you have no interest in completeing, why not donate them to a church or nursing home...someplace where people would be interested in quilting them and then raffling or using them?

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your quilt show Karen. Woo Hoo! They are all lovely, but that star one... I am a sucker for stars! Nothing wrong with having lots of different projects going. You are definitely a finisher and they will all get done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering where you purchased the hexagon papers...I want to work with some smaller ones but don't have a template.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh.... You have such a beautiful quilts in the closet!!! I love angels with star one. :-) Is this Jan Patek or Linda Brannock's pattern?? I think that I saw this quilt... somewhere in my book collection....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving your quilt show, they are all great. Are you enjoying seeing them all again too? I love the colors you work with too. Hexagons, now that sounds labor intensive. I wish I finished as good as you!! I need to get to sewing, haven't touched a needle in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, how can you bear to put that lovely angel quilt back in the cupboard? That's one that really needs to be finished. Perhaps you could think about putting some of your unwanted, finished quilts on e-bay and auctioning them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really do inspire me a lot!!! May I link to your blog when I make an "Out of the closet-post?"
    Is it Buggy Barn this with the angels. BTW: I received a lot of nice sashing from the shop you recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe the recommendation came from Inspired by antique quilts, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The angel quilt has always been a favorite and the repro quilt is dynamite...is there an end to that closet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep showing and sharing....it is always a treat to stop in and have my very own quilt show at your place! If your ever looking at parting with any tops I'd be happy to take them off your hands and quilt them for charity, QOV or ME!! Can I ask, how long has it taken you to piece all these tops? You know, I'll be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew it .. there were more.. and is the closet still up for rent? LOL.. Ahhh.. I just love your first one with the stars and angels... You are really inspiring...
    And I know what you mean... about the creative part.. always curious in the making..but finishing isnt all that fun..:o) Well just send some my way and I take care of them..lol....
    Some day you will have them finished..and if not...not a big problem..right?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another show of some very beautiful quilts! I really can't wait to see the next round. I love the angels one and the wool pillow!
    I thought it was a good idea to give some to some churches or something like that where maybe they could be finished and sent to the mission field!
    Anyway, you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. More beauties, Karen! I agree that sashing between blocks makes it so much easier. And, I do like the look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have enjoyed seeing your quilt. I kind of wonder the same thing. What do you do with the tops you have made? I have really slowed down making quilts, probably because I do more applique now. Thanks for sharing. You are a very talented quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH my goodness! A 4th and 5th part of your closet goodies!?! They are absolutely lovely! Love the 3rd one especially in this post! 8-)
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful display Karen. That street scene was my favorite! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too love the street scene. Do you remember what pattern it is? I hae several of the patterns you have made and it is fun to see them made. Inspiring I hope for me to get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too love the street scene. Do you remember what pattern it is? I hae several of the patterns you have made and it is fun to see them made. Inspiring I hope for me to get to work.

    ReplyDelete