QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Thursday, April 30, 2009

TRUMPET FLOWER UPDATE

A short post today to update you on my Trumpet Flower quilt progress. I'm thinking that this is going to be one busy quilt! I am going ahead with it regardless. The nine blocks are all done with the hand applique. The sashings are sewn and everything joined together. I have the pieces sewn together for the border. Now I am making bias for the vine that goes on the border. All the applique pieces are ready. It is more of the trumpet flowers coming off the vine and then leaves. I don't know how long that will take to do. I have missed the hand applique once I finished the nine blocks. I like to watch television or videos while I do the hand stitching. I have another project ready for stitching which I pulled out. I am finding the bias for the flower stems on the new project is just too wide. I don't like tucks in a stem where you make a sharper curve. I think bias that is a bit less wide will work better. So, I worked jigsaw puzzles instead of hand stitching. It took me three days to make the sashings for this top. I just didn't feel like spending a lot of time at the sewing machine. I did sew from about 1 am to 4 am one night when I had trouble sleeping! The top is hanging on my design wall and there are bits of two blocks of another project peeking out from the right side of the photo. Just to let you know that is not part of this project.
Another quilt top from the closet. This is Oak Leaf & Reels. A Fons & Porter design. I hand buttonhole stitched the applique on. I had trouble laying this out on the floor for a photo. My back just isn't co-operating. So, that is the only top from the closet I will show you today. I am going to go ahead and measure this quilt top & make the backing. I basted two tops last night and am on a roll. I have enough of the border fabric for the backing. I was going to use it in another project but I think I need to get this one done instead of loading the fabric back in the closet to store for a project I may never get to.
I am enjoying your comments. There have been some new visitors and that is great. Some have e-mailed instead of putting a comment on the blog. That is fine. I will happily reply either way.
Karen

31 comments:

  1. I like both of them. have you tried pressing your vines after appliquing? often the fold will press out. I just finished a chimneys and cornerstone quilt using the same blocks in your oak leaf quilt. it has lots of possibilities with that diagnonal design. I'm with you on basting on the floor -- my back hurts these days too, so I'm not getting to that step either. thanks for coming out of the closet with all those great quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen..that one is a beauty... love love again... you are amazing!!! Love the Oak Reel too.. have that pattern and have looked at it so many times... glad to see your almost finished.. and you basted two .. wow ..I wish I had your energy!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these. I love the one from Fons and Porter. They usually have something nice to take away from their mags.
    Your applique is a real beauty! You are so talented. Love visiting your blog!
    Hope your back is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oak Leaf & Reels ~ I've been eyeing that fabric for the longest time. Love this quilt you made! The bias stem thing, I hear ya on that pucker thing. I think we should make it policy that we test out the "suggested" cuts and methods before launching into the cutting. I also invested in some bias makers to keep things accurate and it helps me to use those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you are feeling better and able to get back to your quilting! These quilt tops are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those two applique patterns are ones that I really LOVE! I hope I will be brave enough to do them some day. I have the pattern for the trumpet flower quilt, so maybe that one will be first. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - both of these quilts are beautiful! Fons and Porter usually has at least one quilt in their magazines that I fall in love with. I'm in total awe of your wonderful quilts,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt tops are all so beautiful! I can't believe how many you had in your closet!! Wish I had a closet like that! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sitting here with mouth dropped open in complete envy of these gorgeous tops! WOW....just beautiful...absolutely no bones about it beautiful! The Oak Reel is to die for.....what am I saying..the other is to die for...oh just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow both quilts are wonderful!! I look forward to seeing the border on the Trumpet Flower quilt as I have not seen the pattern before.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  11. love whats on your design wall! just lovely. Is that pattern by Cheri Ralston? oh that was in AP and Q wasn't it???
    your getting so much done.
    the quilt on the floor I remember seeing that in the fons and porter magazine, beautiful too.
    good for you using what you have and getting it basted,
    I hope your back feels better now .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love with your Trumpet Flower - all the fabrics are just perfect.

    I know what you mean about missing the applique - I get lonely for a project after I've completed working on it . . . . and it sure does make watching tv feel a whole lot less guilty *s*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, more beauties - you just never cease to amaze. I think your trumpet flowers look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are both so beautiful. I have never seen a sashing like the one you have done on your trumpet flowers. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both quilt tops look great, Karen. Just love the colors in the Oak Leaves n Reels. And the trumpet vine quilt is just beautiful! I don't know how you do it! You get so much done... and I know you say it is because you are retired, but I STILL don't think I could get as much done as you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa, they are both awesome. I love the sashing on the trumpet quilt. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both of them and all the ones you showed us in your last posts, wonderful work !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen,
    I have been enjoying seeing all of your beautiful quilts. Oh goodness, you have some gorgeous ones. I decided I had better become a follower so I wouldn't miss any great pictures. LOL Keep up the good work. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are both so beautiful.
    There's so much work in those two quilts..
    Nice to see your getting back into quilting..but take care of your back!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I could see your quilts in person, they are fabulous. I love these two that you've shown as well. Look after your back, I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty Karen. Your quilts are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your trumpet flowers quilt is looking lovely - is it one that you will keep at until it's finished? It would be a shame to hide it away in a cupboard. Considering the problems with your back I think you're doing amazingly well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely beautiful.....I am impressed with your dedication!!!! Will be a prize when done!!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved your closet quilt show! All of those quilts are all so different and all so lovely. Thank you for sharing. I have that trumpet flower pattern earmarked to do at some point down the road. Love what you have done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both are absolutely beautiful! Very much my cup of tea ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful Quilts!! ;-)
    Hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The quilts are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love them both! Thanks so much for sharing your closet with us. I drooled over everyone. I just couldn't how many there were. What do you do with your free time???

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness! One lovely after another! Your quilts are so beautiful! Thanks for the great show! You sure do inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful Karen...simply beautiful. I'm not getting any sewing done these days so I'm enjoying seeing yours. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have been away from blogging and visiting and to come back and see your absolutely gorgeous quiltS!!!! wow wow wow!! I just am in so much awe!!

    ReplyDelete