QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Monday, June 1, 2009

PUMPKINS & TURKEY FEATHERS, FINISH 5

Am I bit early for a fall quilt or a bit late? However you want to look at it, here is finish number five for the year. I showed this quilt last September 30th on my blog. The machine quilting was done. All it needed was binding. You would think I could have completed the quilt before fall was over. I don't know what got in the way. I know the hand stitching of binding isn't the most interesting thing to do. I just didn't do it. Then fall was gone and I was on to making Christmas gifts and a Christmas quilt. By the way, the Christmas quilt isn't complete yet either! I worked on the binding earlier this year but the oomph just wasn't there to go the whole way around the quilt. The poor quilt has just been tossed from a chair to a corner on the floor and here and there. I finished the applique on the Trumpet Flower borders Saturday. Time to finish the binding on the turkey quilt. The quilt is done! I am ready for fall.
The pattern for the quilt was in Quilt Mania and was designed by Jan Patek. I was just on her web site to check for the pattern and do not find it.

I did not do the best machine quilting on this quilt. Even with the Bernina with the stitch regulator, free motion quilting is not my best machine quilting to do. I tend to get the stitches too big on a curve that is coming back towards me. Guess I pull too fast and the regulator cannot keep up with the motion. Still, after washing & drying the quilt, it is not bad and makes a quilt that I will be happy to display. It will grace my living room floor for a few days before I fold it up and place into one of the quilt cabinets.

I mentioned that I finished the last applique border on the Trumpet Flower. I have not attached the final two borders to the main body of the quilt, so a photo will have to wait on that.

I started machine quilting a flag quilt that I have shown the top of recently. Maybe I will have finish #6 to show you soon. I will try to be good and not let our Independence Day pass by without my flag quilt being finished.

Come back for a visit soon.

Karen

43 comments:

  1. That's a very nice fall quilt! Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrat's on finish 5! Wow, you are really working over there! Cute turkeys~ I love the flying geese in it, and my favorite fall colors! I'd leave it out for viewing for a while too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just what you meen! The quilt is lovely, and now it is finished, before the fall:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on #5, is it a J. Patek quilt,. Always love seeing your quilts, your applique is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely! I can't wait to see your completed Trumpet quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your fall quilt is wonderful. I love turkeys and there are so few patterns that actually look like a turkey. Hooray on getting it finished!!!

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your really getting them done, I need to finish at least one t oyur 5!!!!!!!!!!Have a great day my friend. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Marie, I need to finish one to your five. Looks like an ideal fall quilt and as if it scrunched up beautifully after the washing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Fall is my most favorite season *s*

    ReplyDelete
  10. actually, im ready for fall...send it on over to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such another nice quilt! I am enjoying watching you get caught up! LOL! I know what you mean about the stitch regulator. I have my share of issues. Personally, I prefer hand quilting but oh the time when you want to finish something up!
    Anyway, thanks for sharing your wonderful quilt with us. Good luck with the rest of your projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a cute fall quilt. I have actually been thinking about working on fall quilts lately. If I start now, I might get one done by fall. LOL Winona

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely quilt. I also love your pineapple down below! Beautiful work on both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely quilt with a terrific theme. I can't wait to see the Trumpet Flower quilt. It was in the first issue of APQ I purchased and is on my wish list of projects.

    Happy Stitching...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did another good job! I never minded doing the binding but a lot of people seem to not like it. This quilt is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fall colors, so country! I love the style and the way it was put together. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your quilts, this one is just as great. I couldn't afford to get my quilts quilted so I machine quilt the odd one too and don't worry too much about those glitches, mine are when I change direction.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nope, not too early, just right! I absolutely love it, and it is wonderful that you quilted it yourself. Bring on the cooler weather already, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've missed two postings and both have wonderful quilts! The pineapple one really caught by eye! It is odd that you don't care for binding...the final step. To me this is the most exciting...then of course the wash, dry and crinkle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this quilt - and I say you're just in time for fall! I love fall colors all year round. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow you are really getting things done! I finished that top recently but still need to quilt it. Hopefully I will get it done for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this one too...you have so many wonderful quilts to share!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like a lot of fun to me!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the colours in this quilt. Now, think how good you'll feel when Halloween gets nearer and all you have to do is get this quilt out and on display. As for the Christmas one, well, it's a long time till Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Karen, lovely fall quilt.....love the colour selection......I don't mind sitting doing the binding.......look forward to seeing your next quilt...Warm Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  26. it looks great!!! I love pumkins and your fabric choice was terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's funny but as I was clicking on the photo the first thing I said was: "...and look at that quilting. It's perfect." I do talk outloud noting my reactions for comments and, well, that was the first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is wonderful!! I like to think you are just early for fall:)
    I love that flag quilt and can't wait to see it. I am machine quilting my Americana string star and hopefully it will be done soon so I can display it for the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now you are ready for fall and how happy you will be when you hang this treasure up! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Karen, I'm still ooooing and ahhhing over the log cabin in the last post. This is wonderful too. Is there anything you can't do?? Surely there's nothing in the world of quilting. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The pattern is so cute! It really is a lovely fall quilt.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looking good Karen! Good for you to have another one done!
    I am being very sluggish with my creations... Stuck in a ditch! lol!
    You go girl! 8-)
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats on another great finish. The pattern for that quilt is in Jan's book, We Gather Together, and the book is available on her website.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a cute seasonal quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very pretty. Which issue of Quilt Mania was it in?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, I'm so ready for Fall. I adore your pumpkin and turkey feathers. Just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I found your blog yesterday and have so enjoyed looking at all your wonderful quilts and quilt tops. You make things in the same colors that I like..
    Your April 7th entry mentions a Liberty Garden Quilt. Could you tell me what book that is in or if you have it completed, could you show us a picture. It is a great quilt and the fabrics you've chosen are very appealing. Thanks for sharing. solsticestudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very pretty! I love fall quilts - must be the colors in them:)
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great quilt. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This one is on my list of quilts to do too! Yours is EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete