QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Thursday, June 11, 2009

TRUMPET FLOWER TOP FINISHED!

I am posting a photo of the completed Trumpet Flower quilt top. I was surprised at all the very positive comments I have had on this project. I still think it is a bit busy but evidently others do not think so. I have had several requests for the pattern information. I will give it again. The pattern was in American Patchwork & Quilting in the April 2007 issue. The pattern designer is Cherie Ralston. I was asked if this was a kit. The answer is no. All the fabrics came from my stash. I did not buy anything specific for the project. I love being able to go to my stash & just pull for a project but that also means that I have too much fabric.
I finished part 2 of the Garden Club quilt project. The bird house block was one where you have to think. You have to piece part of the block, applique some, piece again, and then the final applique of the bird. I did not enjoy doing the "Dutch Tulip" block. I don't think it looks much like a tulip to start with. I seriously considered doing a different tulip block part way through the applique on what I ended up finishing. I decided I had invested too much time in the block to toss it and start another to replace it.
The next photo shows where the section will fit in relationship to the basket & flag section.
I showed an applique basket block on a previous post. At that time, I said it was a long term project as I have so many other applique projects going. I had lots of baskets prepared for stitching, though. When I was down with the toothache problem, I got out the container they are stored in and started stitching. It was kind of mindless applique. Ended up getting several done. The jury is still out on this. Some of the blocks have a very "blended" look and I am not sure how I am going to like it. There will be several more of the light background blocks. Right now, the one looks rather startling compared to the others. I have not decided it I will set them block to block or if I will add sashings or just what. Most of the fabrics are from the Portobella Market line but I have added some additional fabrics that I think will work with them.
I did a little thrift store shopping yesterday. I got this cobalt blue glass which matches four others I bought recently at an antique shop. I actually paid less per glass at the antique shop than I did for this one at a thrift store. Yet it was still almost half of what you would normally pay on E-Bay or an antique store. My husband was able to get a bargain on the first set of four that also had a cream pitcher with it. Evidently the glasses were made by Imperial Glass for Avon. I have been seeing them for a few years in antique malls but did not know that Avon had offered them in their catalogs. I am not an Avon glass collector. It is just that I like cobalt blue glass & these will go with a dish set that I have.
I had the root canal done on Monday. It was a relief to get it over. The antibiotic I had been taking since my initial visit to the dentist for pain, had helped relieve a lot of the pain I was experiencing last week. Still I had to eat very cautiously but was able to take Tylenol instead of the stronger pain medication. The procedure with the endodontist was almost pain free. Only a prick of pain when he inserted the numbing medication in the roof of the mouth. The tooth and the surrounding area of the mouth are still tender but oh so much better than it was! Thank you for all your kind thoughts and concern.

Stop back again soon!

Karen

49 comments:

  1. oh, your quilt top is so wonderful and all fabrics came from your stash!
    Glad to hear that you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your trumpet flower quilt and the colors you did this in! And your other quilt as well - I think that it will come together very nicely once you have all the blocks done. Hope you're feeling better with your tooth. I had to have one pulled a couple weeks ago and I still can't chew on that side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I LOVE that quilt Karen! It turned out beautiful, and having a stash is a good thing... would love to be able to make something up that goes this well together from stash! And I am loving your Garden Club blocks. Looks so cute!

    I am glad your mouth is feeling better... uggghhhhh dentists scare me to death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks marvelous Karen! I love the colors together. ;-) Glad Monday is overwith for you and that it wasn't too bad. Have a happy day!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, your trumpet flower quilt is gorgeous! You shouldn't be surprised at positive comments. Really, though, the most important thing is that you like it. And now I know I have to add more pinks to my stash because I love the fabrics and colors you used.

    I know what you mean about the tulip. It's a nice design but I don't see the tulip, either. Just think of it as a 'wild flower'.

    You do great work - and I'm glad the tooth problem is taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely things you do. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen.. you already know this... I LOVE YOUR TRUMPET FLOWER quilt!!!!!:o))) Think I have the magazine.. just have to find it..:o))
    And section two is gorgeous... well Im glad I decided in blanket stitch on this quilt ..otherwise I would never be finished... Still considering making a pink bird..lol...:o)) A special swedish art!!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen,
    Glad your feeling better, missed your last post, just love those kitties. I love your finished Trumpet Flower, the blended look is something I love, your garden quilt is coming along nicely too. I think the lighter basket blocks will make you happier too, they are coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the baskets! How many more do you plan to make?

    Glad to hear your tooth problems are abating and the root canal was not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I,m a new reader of your blog . I,m so glad I passed by, your trumpet flower quilt is lovely. Being a p/qu,. myself I know a lot of work will have gone into it. I like the look of your blue glass. Here in England we have Bristol blue glass . Sorry to hear you have been suffering but pleased for you that you now have it sorted--cottonreel

    ReplyDelete
  11. The trumpet flower is wonderful! So are the baskets, did you talk about them in the post? They are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt top is just lovely! I always enjoy your posts.
    I'm feeling for ya with the tooth. I get my permanent crown on Monday. I just hope that after they get it on that I won't find I need the root canal too.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful
    isn't it wonderful that we can make quilts from our fabric collection
    I am so happy I can do that too!
    Love the way yoru blocks are coming together.
    it will be a great quilt when your done.
    looking forward to seeing the chair!
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the top quilt...looks amazing! You've done a great job.

    Your country club quilt is coming along nicely..and the tulips looks fine from where I'm sitting ;o)

    Hope you are feeling better soon...nothing worse than tooth pain.

    TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quanti lavori stupendi.....il top della Baltimora è bellissimo ;O))
    un bacio
    cri

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilt top looks lovely - will you add it to your pile of UFOs, or get it quilted? I'm glad the visit to the dentist worked out. Can you imagine how anyone ever sets out to be a dentist, seeing so many people who hate to visit you?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You already know that I love your Trumpet flowers - it's stunning, Karen!

    Oh, your Garden Club quilt is coming along nicely. WTG!

    I love the baskets. I've never met a basket quilt I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Trumpet Flower quilt is just awesome...and no it's not too busy. Your Garden Club is coming right along...lots of work in those blocks. Love that basket quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You do wonderful work and I enjoy seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Trumpet Flower quilt is just so lovely. I think the basket blocks are looking very nice. Maybe when I finish up a couple of things I can start on that one.
    I like the blended look you've got going. So glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow you have been very busy and productive. I think the "tulips" are just fine even if they aren't very tulipy.

    Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Karen, your trumpet flower quilt is gorgeous! and to think all the fabric came from your stash...Love the baskets, I think I already told you that..all your work is lovely.
    Dentists are not my favourite people..but we do need them sometimes!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's gorgeous! I love your garden blocks. I hope you feel better with tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you have your root canal behind you.

    Your Trumpet Flower quilt is stunning. This is one of the many projects on my to-do list. (I don't think I'll live long enough to make even a small dent in the list!)

    Looks like you're making a lot of progress on your Garden Club quilt, too. It's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad you're feeling better. I think toothache is one of the worst sorts of pain somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Karen I know exactly what you are going through I too had root canal and the antibiotics but it is all worth it.. I can brush and rinse without pain..
    Your blocks are just as gorgeous as every the Trumpet flower is.. aughh I dont' even have words for it.. I love it.. your workmanship is absolutely stunning love to see your projects thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooohhhh! I loved the Trumpet Quilt as soon as I saw it in APQ and your rendition is every bit as good. Glad to learn that you are feeling better after the nasty tooth pain.

    Happy Stitching...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I Love your Trumpet Flower top! Stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful quilts Karen. I like the variety of values in your basket blocks. I think they look a bit more interesting that way.
    Glad to hear the dentist appt is over and you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your trumpet flower quilt - and how great that all of the fabrics came from your stash! The baskets are going to be so lovely when done. Can't wait to see more of the new quilt you are appliqueing
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't even know where to begin this is such a wonderful eye candy post. First I am very glad your dental issues are better. Tooth pain is no fun. The trumpet flower quilt is beautiful. The basket quilt is lovely and agree that when they are all done it will pull together quite nicely. You have been a busy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can you ever have too much fabric. I love your quilts. I think your stash being what it is adds a beautiful touch to your quilts.
    Hope your tooth is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ..... gorgeous ..... just gorgeous! Now, when will this beauty be all quilted up?

    Love the blue glass and doesn't it feel good to find another piece to add to your collection.

    Root canals .... yuck .... have had my share of them over the years but the feeling afterwards is pure bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love cobalt blue glass too and have several old pieces, including two Shirley Temple glasses. Nice quilts showing on your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So many nice things to comment on! I love your trumpet flower quilt! It is simply amazing! Your tulip block actually does remind me of Pennsylvania Dutch drawings. I like that too! Adore the baskets, of course and your cobalt blue is lovely! Sorry about the tooth--glad it is done!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your Trumpet Flower quilt is just wonderful! I love your Garden Club blocks too. Root canal procedures aren't fun. I almost think the name is worse then the procedure though. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your quilt is beautiful - I love it. Now pulling fabric from the stash, who'd of thought, lol. Seriously - very pretty quilt. You've been a busy one. Glad your feeling lots better - and it wasn't as bad as you thought.

    Hugs - karen

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love quilts that come completely from the stash...and yours is gorgeous! I also enjoy seeing the progress of the garden club quilt...and glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congrats on your finished top. It's sooooo gorgeous! Way to go, Karen!
    also your Garden club is coming along very nice. I just love those blocks, very beautiful.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your quilt top is wonderful!
    You are so good with applique!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  41. Woohoo another quilt top done! Looks wonderful! 8-)

    Your Garden Club blocks are great too. 8-)

    Hope your tooth problem is done now and you feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh good for you Karen, It's just lovely! I also an still loving those Garden Club Quilt blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love your Trumpet Flower top!! How fun to make it all out of your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  44. My goodness Karen but that trumpet flower is amazing. I sat here for quite a few moments after I clicked the photo and got lost is the beauty. Truly, your work isn't simply exceptional but delightful to look at and soak in. *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  45. The trumpet flower quilt is gorgeous. Glad you are recovering from the surgery. Note that if you run out of pain meds, rock and rye works just as well. It is a recipe our grandmothers made on the stovetop and is now sold in liquor stores.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just love this quilt. I am impressed by how much you get done. Hope you are feeling better soon. I think having a toothache is the worst sort of pain as it affects your focus. You don't feel like doing anything. Dentists and I are not the best of friends either :-(
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  47. WEll, I must add to the raves...your quilt top is absolutely gorgeous! Good for you...using your stash. This one is uniquely you!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh - I do love your block. I hope I can jump back on board and catch up soon.
    I know I'm more than a touch late . . . . but I'm glad to know that your dental work went well. I hope by now you are back to 100% *s*

    ReplyDelete