QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Friday, July 3, 2009

ANTIQUE PICKLE DISH QUILT

I was looking for my little flag quilt this morning so I could put a photograph of it in my blog in honor of our Independence Day celebration on July 4th. It is hiding from me somewhere. Instead I took a picture of this antique red, white & blue Pickle Dish quilt. The pattern is sometimes called Indian Wedding Ring. I was going to ask a quilt appraiser to do an appraisal for me several years ago but she was overwhelmed with quilts at the retreat I went to. I opted to have another quilt done when she said she could only do one that night. The only quick info she gave me on this was that it was probably from 1900 to 1910 and the pieces were smaller than she was used to seeing in this design. The quilt is in good condition. It has the same off-white fabric from the front as backing. It is nicely hand quilted. I am going to offer this quilt for sale for the same price I paid for it about 15 years ago and that is $400.00. If you are interested, please let me know. I have been slowly letting my antique quilts go since we down sized in house size. I just can't keep every quilt I would like to.
I have finally finished the machine stitching on the Circuit Rider blocks. Here are pictures of what I finished since my last post.
There are two more rose blocks just like the one below. Since they are duplicates, I have left two out of the line up. There were five of these in the original quilt. I opted to do the four for the four corners and selected another block to use within the quilt.




Had to do some hand embroidery on the Bible block. It is the only pieced block in the quilt. It is a combination of piecing and applique.
Now to lay all the blocks out and decide what is going where and sew it together. I will post a photo after I get it together. I am going with no border like the original. The raw edge applique method is certainly faster than hand applique but the machine stitching can be slow going on blocks with lots of curves. I am glad to get that part done.

I went to the local quilt shop today to purchase fabric for two more of the quilts using the painted blocks my husband's grandmother has made many years ago. I hope to get one put together very quickly. That is what I will be working on this weekend. I couldn't get the same exact fabrics that I used on the previous two but got something similar.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend if you are celebrating Independence Day! Come back for another visit soon.

Karen


33 comments:

  1. The pickle dish quilt is amazing. It has always been one of my favorite patterns, but I've never been brave enough to make one! Love your blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that quilt is beautiful, I'm sure someone will snatch it up. I can't imagine stitching around all those curves, they look wonderful.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pickle dish quilt, Karen. Oh, I'm so tempted.

    Your blocks are amazing as well.

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice quilt. Happy 4th to you and yours. Hugs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty quilt your selling...for more fabric???? LOL I just knew you'd whip up the rest of those blocks in no time. Now I'll look forward to seeing the new top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this pattern. I saw it made on another blog recently. It would definitely be a challenge to make. Looking forward to seeing all your blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pickle dish quilt..
    Happy 4th July!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt I hope you have a wonderful day of celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why that quilt is sometimes called Indian Wedding Ring. It looks like it!
    Your blocks are coming along nicely! I especially love the Bible block as that is my favorite book in the whole world!(and I have a LOT of them;) )
    I wish for you and your family a Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt! I have always seen it with bigger blocks too~ yours is just gorgeous, I'm sure it will go fast! :-)
    And love the Circuit Rider blocks~ ...sigh... someday, someday! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how very very tempting that is!
    A lovely quilt.
    Your circuit rider blocks are coming alng beautifully, well done, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see your Circuit Rider put together. I love those blocks. Your pickle dish is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen I love your pickle dish..like u I can't keep them all I hope u find a good home for the beauty your price is very reasonable.
    the Circuit Rider blocks are phenominal! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pickle dish qult...it is absolutely gorgeous!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty pickle dish. Can you imagine making one of those. Your CR blocks are so nice. I've been working on those, too. Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 4th of July!
    The pickle dish is so graphic and would look perfect in my house! It's over my budget, but still a great deal.
    The applique blocks are spectacular!! I can'tt wait to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow the pickle dis quilt is beautiful! Happy 4th of July !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I wish I had the money for that quilt. It is fabulous and so are your blocks. You do such nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW - that quilt is amazing! If I only had $400 laying around! That is such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Pickle Dish Quilt is gorgeous. Ooh, if only I had an extra $400...

    The circuit rider blocks are beautiful and intriguing. I can't wait to see them all together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice quilt, Karen :o) I am loving your blocks.. so pretty! Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Pickle Dish quilt is just wonderful! Love it! Your blocks are looking great! It will be fun seeing them all together in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen a Pickle Dish quilt, either and have to agree that it is a stunning quilt...alas it is out of my reach but enjoyed seeing it along with your many completed blocks. You always accomplish so much! We did enjoy the 4th of July holiday, hope you did too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful neat amazing quilt that pickle dish is. Thanks for sharing that!

    ...as always I'm in love with the beauty of your blocks. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a pretty quilt!!! And your blocks look soooooo good.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was about to ask what prep method you use but then you said they're raw edge - wow, they're smooth edges! How did you get them so smooth? You really did a beautiful job!!!

    The pickle dish quilt is amazing. That pattern is one I just won't tackle. Good luck finding it the perfect home. Antique quilts are special.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the antique quilt. It is stunning. Your blocks all look great. You are going to have an amazing quilt when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Karen - your Pickle Dish quilt is just delicious! I understand having to let go of some of your quilts . . . . but it must have been a difficult decision.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your blocks. Slow down you're putting the rest of us to shame ;)

    That antique quilt is just awesome. I hope it finds a wonderful new home!

    ReplyDelete
  30. PS That's always been one of those patterns I've wanted to try....The call me crazy it took a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the Pickle Dish quilt!!! Awesome!
    The blocks are terrific, as per others! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous quilt! Pickle Dish is one of my favorite patterns. One day I want to make one. Your blocks are looking good too.

    ReplyDelete