QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

MORE CIRCUIT RIDER BLOCKS

This past Saturday was the monthly gathering of the Sew 'n Sews. Kenyan was our hostess. There were only four of us but we had a good time. I took photos of two quilts Kenyan finished but accidently deleted them off the camera. Darn! She has made two quilts for relatives that are going off to college and they are good ones.

Sometimes we have a project to work on when we get together. This time Kenyan showed us how to make these little mats. Mine is not finished but the top is done. She was making two very cute ones and of course those photos were deleted also. It is nice to put a focus fabric in the center part. She was using some really cute bathing beauty fabrics for the center of hers.

I purchased a new book called "Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses" by Linda Franz. You can purchase it here. Cathi has been working on blocks for this quilt for a while and has gotten me interested in the project. Be sure to pay her a visit to see the beautiful blocks she has been hand piecing. I am resisting the urge to drop everything and make some blocks right away.
I have been spending a lot of time stitching on blocks for the "Circuit Rider" quilt. Below are the newest blocks I have completed. The first three are blocks I have substituted for various reasons. The cardinal block I created myself. I found a line drawing of a cardinal and simplified it for applique. The branch & leaves came from a Jo Morton pattern. I added extra leaves and the circle surrounding .
The next two blocks came from the Electric Quilt computer program.











Gwendie has been working on the Circuit Rider quilt also and has just completed her top. It is definitely worth a visit to her blog to see it.
I have been tagged by two bloggers. One is from Deb. at A Quilting Journey. The other is from Danielle at "Want to Bee Quilting". Pay them a visit if they aren't on your regular journeys through Blogland. I am supposed to tell ten things about myself that you might not know. I have done the seven thingamajig before a couple times, so I may repeat myself.
1. My mother lived with us the last ten years of her life. My husband was living in a house with four generations of women. Myself, my mother, our daughter, and grand-daughter. He survived with flying colors.
2. I started quilting in 1990.
3. I am originally from Ohio.
4. I have a sister who sews really well.
5. I used to make Barbie doll clothes. Many, many of them. My daughter did not much care for dolls but the neighbor girls sure liked playing with the dolls and clothes. I made them for cousins, nieces, neighbors, and people I didn't know all over the country.
6. I love strawberries.
7. My first quilt class that I took was for a Mariner's Compass taught by Cindy Blackberg. She also taught me how to design quilts.
8. We have been friends with a couple for about 45 years and vacation together at least twice a year and some times more often than that.
9. I buy more quilt patterns and quilt books than I will ever be able to make in my life time. Don't we all do that?
10. I have a collection of chicken items but I don't want to add to it any more. I have way too many and have packed away many of them. I like fried chicken. My favorite stylefried chicken is from Barberton, Ohio.

That's all for today. I will be spending a good part of the day stitching on the remaining Circuit Rider blocks. I am over my deadline for finishing the machine stitching and need to get a hustle on it.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Karen

25 comments:

  1. Your Applique blocks look wonderful! You have been very busy. Have a great
    4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen - You did a really nice job on your CR blocks. It's fun to see them machine done since I did mine by hand. I thought the stars on the shield looked complicated so left that block out of mine. Yours looks really nice!

    There's a reproduction fabric Yahoo! group I'm in and some members have talked about the Lucy Boston quilt. I really like it but haven't committed to the book yet.

    How's the Garden Club quilt coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your applique blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, love the ten things about yourself. Your blocks for Circuit Rider are all so wonderful. And I don't even want to investigate any more into what the Lucy Boston thing is all about, aieeeee another project lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWSER! Those blocks are awesome...you zipped right through that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blocks are great Karen! Love that Cardinal one! 8-)
    I popped on over to Gwendie's blog to have a look at her's... wow... Can't wait to see yours put together! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just lovely! You have been a busy girl :o) And thanks for the 10 things about yourself.... I learned a few more things about you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ten things too... so much I didnt know!!!
    And oh my gosh..no wonder you had any time for blogging.. you have sewed!!! :o) The blocks are wonderful..and I saw Gwendies quilt.. and I am sure yours will be as beautiful as hers!!
    The book looks very interesting... lovely blocks!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The Circuit Rider blocks are fabulous!
    It sounds l8ike you had a fun day out with the girls!! Woo-Hoo! Therapy for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's it! I come back from yet another few days away and have to now ask..Where, oh please tell me where do you find all your energy for these blocks? As always...very, very nice and a happy place for me to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love all of your Circuit Rider blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun to learn more about you. Your blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blocks are spectacular and the cardinal complements them so nicely. I too have a chicken collection above my kitchen cabinets. I had to stop (my husband said I had way too many), no more room

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, I love those Circuit Rider blocks . . . . you are going to have one fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow your blocks are just wonderful!! The cardinal block is fabulous, you did a great job designing that block.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your new blocks, you are coming along very well. The mat you showed at the beginning of your post is very nice!
    We have something in common, and that would be question Nr. 9!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the blocks you've drawn up and I've seen Gwendie's gorgeous top too. I just bought the POTC book as well but I don't see me doing it any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. karen I am very impressesd what lovely lovely blocks.. love your header too.. the quilt is perfect for the coming holiday

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing pictures of your applique - each is very well done. I am impressed with your Cardinal block and can tell it is going to looks outstanding with the other blocks you have finished. This is going to make an heirloom quilt for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've had my eye on the Lucy Boston quilt and I'm very tempted....where can I buy more time????

    Your Circuit Rider blocks are just beautiful as usual...can't wait to see the whole quilt together.

    I also enjoyed learning 10 things about you....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blocks Karen!~ you are certainly moving fast! The little mat is cute too~ always fun to get together with friends. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This quilt will be gorgeous. You're so productive. I can't imagine getting that much done! I always enjoy visiting! I stare in awe! Maybe one day I'll have applique like that. Happy 4th Weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen, I love the Circuit Rider Blocks ~ Such Inspiration! The Cardinal you designed is beautiful! Great way to personalize your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These applique blocks are beautiful. I know it to be work to concentrate on but so lovely when completed--cottonreel

    ReplyDelete