QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FAMILY GATHERINGS AND A WARM WELCOME

I wish I had a better way to photograph quilt tops, etc. rather than spread on the floor. I used to have a photography stand thingamajig that was used to hang backdrops. I used it to hang quilts for photographs. I used it for a while then we moved to a house where I could photograph from a stairway landing way down and ceased using the stand. Then we moved back to Florida and it sat in the garage unused. I finally donated it to a thrift shop. Now that I am doing a blog, I wish I had it back. Not in the budget to buy a new one. They have gone up in price. My husband is off to the hardware store in a few minutes to buy clothesline & pins. We aren't allowed to hang clothes out in our housing development but I figure I can tie the line to the plant hooks that are on the lanai and give that a try just for photographing the quilts.

I started putting fabric away I had on the floor that was pulled out for various reasons. I have previously posted about how I work on a small low table in my sewing room. The reason is because of my back pain. I sit to cut. Thus, I end up with piles of fabric on the floor beside me that I am pulling out of as needed. Things were getting out of hand. New projects floating in my head and more fabric pulled to see if I had what was needed all added to the piles. As I began sorting to begin the putting away process, I found projects that needed attention. I might add, that there are still a couple more on the floor that need some attention to finish the tops up. Here is one project that I just finished yesterday.
The quilt top is from a Jan Patek/Linda Brannock pattern called "Family Gatherings". The majority of the fabric used was from the Moda line of fabric called "Gatherings". At one time I had several pieces of the line but didn't do anything with it. A friend was given a table topper made from the "Gatherings" fabric. I offered her my pieces so she could make something to co-ordinate with her topper and she happily accepted. Then a while later, I wanted to do an applique project that used some of that fabric. I found a few pieces at an on line store and my friend Jeanne donated a little from her stash. Jeanne decided to do some sorting of fabric recently and decided she was done with the left over "Gatherings" she still had in her stash. I noted that the pattern "Family Gatherings" used that line. I still had some in my stash. I combined Jeanne's leftovers with mine, added some other fabric that worked well with it from my shelves and made the quilt top pictured above. The leftovers will be given to someone else for their stash.

Next I used leftovers to piece a backing for the quilt. I free hand drew a big basket similar to the one used in the pattern and added that to a square of fabric. Then I just kept piecing until I got the backing big enough. I think it will add interest to the back.
I then moved onto another project that was laying on the floor. I showed you a house block and a pineapple block in a recent post. I had all the blocks done at that time but had not made the pieced sashings. I made the sashings over the weekend and got the top center assembled. Yesterday evening, I added the borders. The pattern is called "A Warm Welcome" and is from the book "Folk Art Favorites" by Joined at the Hip. The sample in the book used a vintage floral border but I liked the deep red with gold stars that is from a Jo Morton line of fabric. It went well with the gold I used for the pineapples. The pineapple leaves and the diamond shapes on them are made from wool. The pattern calls for buttons within those diamond shapes but that would need to be added after the quilting is done. I have Mary from Quilt Hollow to thank for the gift of the book. This is going to make a good quilt to hang on one of the quilt cabinet doors.

I used only stash for these projects!

I hope to spend some time today on another one of those hidden projects. Most of the fabric that was on the floor is put away or will be shortly. Come back for another visit soon to see what I am working on.

Karen

39 comments:

  1. I love how quilters are so generous. It sure sounds like the Gatherings line has made the rounds. Both quilts are fantastic! I really love Joined at the Hip patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that pieced backing, your freehand basket looks fantastic. I like to photograph my quilts outside for better light. I use clothespins clipped to a tree! I like your idea of plant hooks with a removable line running between them. I might have to give that a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both of them... your new saltboxhouses and pineapples are just wonderful... :o)
    Great backing for the first quilt.. really clever and creative!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your projects Karen! You always know how to pick fabrics that compliment the patterns perfectly. Love both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gatherings was such a wonderful line of fabric - it'll always be a favorite of mine. I love, love your quilt.

    Every project is wonderful, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Family Gatherings quilt! The story about the fabric being passed around was great! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Karen, I just love your quilt with the pineapples. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Your quilt top are stunning - Wounderful top's! I love "Gathering" fabrick - I bought not less than a yard of the hole line..... Have used only a few of them. But they are in a boxs from my move two year`s ago. Now I want to find them, and use them . . . .:o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG....who cares if they are on the floor as long as we keep seeing your work! Fantastic!! I still have some FQs of Gatherings and it is one of those that I savor...I still love that fabric just has much as the first day I spotted it. Good choice!! I'll take my book back...tee hee...love those salthouses and pineapples! I knew you would!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both the quilts.
    The blue really makes the Gathering quilt and I love the star border on the pineapple house.
    I am going to spend a few day with my sister Linda Brannock in sept. I may get lucky and come home with some fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow they both look fantastic Karen! I love them! I'm working on getting borders on things too. ;-) Keeps me outa trouble! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Your accomplishments for this week outnumber mine for the year. You're sooo good. I love them both. Sometimes we find treasures in our own boxes, isn't that just wonderful? And that backing, hello! As if I would have EVER thought of that, duh! What a great idea! I wish you nothing but a steady pace to finish more wonderful projects. Keep up he good work... I'll be back for some more inspiration! Hee-hee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen,
    You have a alot of beautiful quilts, that you have done. I hang mine on the large curtain rod, but I should do them outdoors. BTW, the red glass is ruby glass, they use gold in it to get that beautiful color. I have a few of fentons peices, love ruby and cape cod glass the most.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been busy. Love all your quilt tops. I think the clothes line idea is great for photographing quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen--what beautiful quilts you have made--love them both alot--I think you should have a give away with them and I would be the first to sign up?????? Happy stitching--a siggy partner--Hugs, just, Di

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen, you make the most intersting quilts and the backs are almost as interesting as the front.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Busy Hands!!Love both pieces --- The warm welcome is my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  18. love them both. that house and pineapple one just keeps getting and better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love them both. that house and pineapple one just keeps getting and better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love them both. that house and pineapple one just keeps getting and better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love them both. that house and pineapple one just keeps getting and better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have been busy! Fabulous quilts! Just love the pineapple and saltbox house quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way cute quilts and that back is darling. So you worked from your stash, hmmmmm who'd of thought, lol. Always a treat to visit and see what you've been up to - I never leave disappointed :)

    Hugs - karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent using up your stash! I love the pieced backing too, it's fun. Can't wait to see what else is in that stash of yours....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that backing, Karen! It's like having a 2-in-one quilt. Just flip it over and it's another quilt!

    I love the pineapples and slatboxes one as well. It would fit right in with my decor.

    Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We weren't allowed to have a clothesline in CA either. I got a retractable line from the hardware store. It was easy to pull out to hang sheets and towels away from the prying eyes of the association. I also used it to hang quilts. I only wish for quilts, it had been installed a little higher to better show a large one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The pole system that my DH made for me (and the one you see in my last post) are made out of electrical conduit pipes with 2 elbows. It didn't cost much and is nice and sturdy. Mind you, it takes 2 people to assemble and lift the quilt and pole system.

    I just had my cutting table lifted 4" higher (legs sitting on wood blocks) and it sure has made a difference with my back for standing and cutting.

    Great quilts and love what you did with your backing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the backing you made for the big quilt. Such a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like your hidden projects, the colours are so nice.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your quilts!..especially the house and pineapple one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've been busy! Isn't it great to get stuff finished up? I love both tops...very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are an inspiration! I need to get back to some of my WIPs too. Maybe now that summer is winding down I'll have a little more time. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  33. Here is a great chance to drive a large number of visitors to your blogs and websites for free.

    Submit your websites, blogs, videos to http://www.zillionsb.com and get 1000s of targeted visitors everyday for free. It also helps your websites/blogs gain valuable backlinks.

    Let the other bloggers cast their votes to push your posts up for a greater visibility. Enjoy a free, huge traffic to your sites.

    Thanks

    Sara
    http://www.zillionsb.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful, just Beautiful Karen! Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  35. Always great quilts to see on our blog. You always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your quilts are beautiful...it is so much fun visiting your blog with all the gorgeous quilts. I like how you take pictures of your quilts on the floor. The floor is my design wall too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your Family Gatherings, love the back you made, and the border fabric for your pineapple quilt is perfect! You are getting a ton done! Also, your description of your floor sounds just like mine. An adventure in an archaeological dig!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Both are wonderful! Love the pineapples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Both are wonderful but the pineapples are so neat!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete