QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Thursday, August 20, 2009

WASHINGTON'S LEGACY

Two finishes to report. At least finished to the flimsy stage. The first finish is a quilt called "Washington's Legacy". It was a free pattern on Baum/ Windham Fabrics website. If you are interested in the pattern or others that are available click here. If you visit the site, you will notice that my quilt looks a little bit different than the one shown. I wanted the flags above Washington's head to be whole and not chopped off. I devised a slightly different center to accomodate it. Only I did not picture things correctly in my mind. The way I did it, Washington's head would have been on the diagonal instead of straight up and down. I added triangles to the center square to get the head going the right direction. I ended up with a bigger quilt than I anticipated making but all is well. By my calculations, there are a couple mistakes in the pattern directions. The center part instructions are not really clear to me. Maybe someone else can understand them fine. The instructions have you cutting rectangles on the diagonal for the first row where the dark navy points are. The math just doesn't work. I think it should be squares. And that is taking into account making the center just like the pattern. The next error was in the number of squares of background fabric for the 4th row. The pattern only has you cut enough for one side of the quilt. Not a biggie as anyone can figure that out when you get to that point. I need to get some backing fabric for this piece. I used Old Glory Election Commemorative fabrics for this quilt.

The same fabric line was used for the table runner pictured below. An easy piece to make. I probably won't use it for a table runner. It would fit nicely over one of the quilt cabinet doors when finished.
I am cutting out for another quilt from this same fabric. I am in a rut as it was the same fabric line for the Dresden Plates I showed you in a previous post.
The glass pot (I don't know what else to call it) was a gift from my friend Karen. It is a orangey red color and made by The Fenton Glass Company in West Virginia. Very pretty.
The last photo is of a blue glass bottle my husband found in an antique store while we were on vacation. Cobalt blue is my favorite color glass so we end up looking at just about anything we see in the blue line. We have no idea what this bottle was used for. It has a face on the top part or head. Does anyone know the answer? It is about 6 to 8 inches tall. I didn't measure it and am just guessing.

I have been visiting Primitives by the Light of the Moon blog. Ginger has been giving free alphabet stitchery designs over a period of time. If interested, you will have to go back through her blog posts to download and print them all out. She says she has some more "doodles" to post and to watch for those in the near future.

Another site I have come across is Sentimental Stitches. There are lots of free quilt patterns on the site. There is an ongoing series of flower applique patterns for one that I am printing out. There is an Amish style quilt in process. And many, many midget blocks that are 4 1/2". The midget blocks are from an antique sampler quilt. Maybe you already know about the site but if you have never paid a visit, be sure to check it out.

Okay. One last link for you. It is called Homeberries. There are several free stitchery patterns that you might enjoy if you like prim style.

Enjoy the rest of your day and come back soon for another visit.

Karen


26 comments:

  1. Love both the quilt and table runner. Your changes are really nice and I like it better than the original. Well Done!!

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both quilt tops equally lovely. I have Homeberries marked as a favorite too. Thanks for the links to others.
    I love glass jars too and have a larger clear one similiar to your blue...haven't a clue what it held.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice quilt and a nice idea. Love your fabrics as usual :o)

    Thanks again for the sites. I hadn't seen them before so I also marked and saved them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both quilts.Thanks for the sites.Hugs from Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your George washington quilt, Karen. Gorgeous.

    I have a milk bottle in the same shape as your cobalt blue bottle. I was told that the cream was able to float to the top and stay there because of the 'pinched' neck. I doubt that blue bottles were used for milk thought.

    Beautiful red Fenton vase. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. Great Americana quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking projects! Thanks for telling us about the links, I'm off to check them out. Love the cobalt blue colour of your bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such an incredible quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for stopping by my blog! I have teh same fabric panel and have not yet decided how to use it. Congrats on getting tops completed. I like what you did with both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - you have been busy - love the finishes! I think I have some of that line . . . somewhere *S*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did with it! And I am so happy you didn't chop off the flags.
    So I guess that may not be the best free pattern on the Baum site? She must have been in a hurry to get the quilt done and instructions written.
    Your quilt is awesome and it makes me want to get started on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Homeberries site! Good find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You show the prettiest glassware. Your quilt is nice, so patriotic. You gotta love that GW face!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen,
    Your quilts are treasures, I really like the whole flags in the center. I know where I can come for advice on quilting, your darn good!!
    Your glass pieces are pretty, they will look perfect with some fall flowers.
    Thanks for the links, a couple are new so I will have fun browsing.
    Hugs, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilts and I just love the glass items. Gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I'm in so much trouble...everyone is recommending blogs today!!! I'm not supposed to add any more lol! Your quilt will look perfect on the cabinet door. I think that's one of my favorite spots :) Good job on your 2 finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! They are totally breathtaking quilts! Your version of them are very original to me. Great work, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Karen,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've just been having a quick browse through yours and I can see I need to spend a lot more time with it - I love your colours! Your 'Washington Legacy' is lovely. And those dresden plates look very complicated - are they? And I also love your 'Circuit Rider' applique blocks - applique is something I'm trying to improve on - I haven't done very much so far.

    Will pop back soon!

    Love Julia :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oops, I really thought I'd left a comment yesterday about your quilt. I love the colours in the George Washington one and think what you did to the centre was clever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That quilt of yours with George is really great looking. Now I have to go back and look at the original.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilt is just outstanding. It really did turn out so lovely! I am in awe!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not ever seen that Washington fabric before. Neat quilt.
    That little blue bottle is fascinating. You will have to let us know what you find out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Karen,

    Thanks for stopping by again. I know what you mean about the wadding/batting thing - the first time I saw the word 'batting', I wondered what it meant - it didn't take me too long though to work it out!

    Take care

    Love Julia :0)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG, that is one awesome quilt, girl!! Your color choices are very good and your workmanship looks great (I can see points everywhere there should be points - you know what I'm saying?)
    Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blog and works are very beautiful, I congratulate you, everything I am like very much.
    The vase and the bottle are very beautiful, I believe that the bottle could be used to contain water or algun type of liquor.
    Thank you very much for your visit and commentary.
    Regards from Chile, Titi

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG I love love love that quilt. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete