QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Cheri Payne pattern.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

HALLOWEEN CAT

A finished project! The Halloween Cat.
According to the pattern, the cat is 21 inches high. I did not measure mine, so I will give you the measurement from the pattern. The pattern name is "Stitch-n-Stuff Cat" and is from a designer named Shawn Williams of "Threads That Bind". I have had the pattern almost a year and finally bit the bullet and made it up. It really did not take a long time to do it. I started Friday evening and have finished it on Sunday. I did not have the sand for the bottom or would have finished it yesterday evening. I made a trip to Michael's Crafts to find the black decorator sand. I suppose you could have used any color sand, but I thought black would be appropriate for a black cat.

I am not much in favor of scary looking Halloween things for young children. This is a gift for an adult, so I left the mouth as shown on the pattern. You could easily change the mouth to give it a less scary look. I hope to deliver this soon to a no-blog friend who is crazy about decorating for Halloween.

Just looking at the pattern, I thought the letters for Halloween were cut out and sewn on top of the tree. Actually, the tree is cut in sections that form the black spaces for the letters. I did not follow the pattern directions exactly. The directions for tracing the design onto the black wool felt involved tulle. You were to use double sided tape to stick the tulle over the pattern for tracing with a pen. Then the tulle was to be placed over the felt and traced over the pattern lines using one of those white markers. I have never successfully used one of those white markers. I know that the lines do not appear right away but for me, they seem to never show up. I traced the pattern onto freezer paper with a black Sharpie pen. That allowed me to flip the paper over, use Heat 'n Bond Lite to trace the tree parts, pumpkins, etc and have the design reversed so the orientation is correct when you fuse the pieces down. I then ironed the freezer paper pattern to the wool felt to cut out my cat pieces. I pinned the freezer paper along the side and then lifted different sections in order to slide graphite paper in between the freezer paper and the felt. I used a pencil to trace over the lines and that put the design onto the fabric. The graphite paper comes in different colors. I used a piece of the white. I then embroidered the wording and spider web using perle cotton. I did have to retrace some of the letters part way up the design as they were wearing off from holding the felt while stitching. This was not a problem.

The pattern directions said to cut a cardboard piece for the tail. All that is for is to allow you to trace around it on the felt before cutting the tail. I just used a piece of freezer paper, traced the tail pattern and ironed it onto the wool felt. The head is made separately from the main body. The neck scarf covers where the pieces are joined. The tail end is tacked to the side of the cat's body to keep it up. The sand gives the bottom weight so the cat will stay in a sitting position.

I think the recipient will enjoy this addition to her Halloween decorations. Now onto another project.

Have a great day and come back soon for a visit!

Karen

33 comments:

Marie said...

Really cute cat Karen. I like more fallish things and nothing scaring for Halloween too. Have a good week and will look forward to reading your blog when I return from Calif. Hugs, Marie

Pat said...

OMGosh how cute! Love it.

Pat said...

You did a great job...that looks very difficult to me!

Colleen said...

Oh is that CUTE Karen! How fun :o)

Strlady said...

I love this time of year. The fall colors the celebrations, the good food and sharing it all with good friends. This project is just perfect to say goodbye to summer and hello to fall and all the spooktacular things it holds for us. I'm sure who ever gets this will absolutely LOVE it!

Lorraine said...

I am getting that everyone over there is looking forward to autumn.....with lots of Halloween projects and pumpkins appearing all over the place!.....I would say the cat is cute but he is a bit on the scary side of cute..LOL..wonderful project and I am sure the recipient will love him....what a great addition to her decorations!

Janet said...

The cat is fabulous, I love it. Thanks for the smile it put on my face.

Catherine said...

That is a fantastic cat!! Lucky recipient!

black bear cabin said...

the cat is awesome...wish he was coming my way :) what a lovely gift!

Julia said...

I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with her black cat - he's lovely. And I love the way the word 'Halloween' is formed in the tree - very clever, but I bet it was tricky - well done:0)

LeKaQuilt said...

He is a cute cat ! Well don Karen :o)

Crispy said...

YIKES!!! That is one demented looking cat LOL.

Crispy

Kaaren said...

I'm sure your friend will love it, Karen. Makes me want to get my Fall decorating stuff out which I probably will later today.

QuiltSue said...

Love it!!

In the UK people don't usually do any decorating for Halloween. I loved it last year when I was on holiday in NewEngland during October and saw all the shops and gardens done up. Great fun.

Lori said...

So cute and prim! I don't think it looks scary, just whimsical.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Karen that is just the cutest thing! Sounds really involved to me! blessings, marlene

Quilt Hollow said...

OMG! I don't have a blog...am I that friend? (ok...I lied) I love kitties and this is just too darned CA-UTE! She should love it!! Good Job on the fast finish but it's YOU...so I'm not surprised!! Hugs

Kim said...

Fun and very well done! Love this cat!!

Karen said...

Very cute! My sister will love that. I will have to send her over to see.

Dawn Heese said...

I love all things Halloween. Your cat is great!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

That is one ver cute cat Karen...

julieQ said...

Cute, cute! Love the expression and all the detailing. I love to decorate for Halloween, and the kiddos who come to visit for trick or treat. We get lots in our neighborhood.

Jeanette said...

Cute! I made one a few years ago. It was a fun project.

Mary said...

What a darling cat! Great work, he looks so fat and happy!

solomi558 said...

Hi Karen , I,m cottonreel, first time I have visited your blog,I feel blown away by your quilts, they are lovely, I love the Liberty gdns,. one . I have not seen this pattern, perhaps I,ll find it somewhere,
I also like coloured glass, my neighbour bought me a piece of cranberry glass today, I,m thrilled
Thanks for visiting my blog, would you care to take the friendship award from my blog. It was givn to me last week and I have to pass it on to 6 other people.

Micki said...

What a cute cat!
It is so different and unique!
Micki

Salem Stitcher said...

I LOVE THAT CAT!!

Millie said...

Ypur Halloween cat is so cute. I love to make soft dolls too...thanks for sharing your cat!

MARCIE said...

That is some spooky cat! Darn cute!

Ginger Patches said...

That cat is adorable!! I have one of Jo Ann's patterns for a black cat doll and now I'm wanting to make it. I really love the tree with Halloween on it. I think your way seemed much less complicated!!

em's scrapbag said...

I love Halloween decorations. This one is great!

yellowfarmhouse said...

That is just dang adorable Karen - cute cute cute.

Hugs - karen

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh is he cute. I guess it is about that time of year again:)
Kris