QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Summer Glory".

Thursday, September 10, 2009

STITCHERY UPDATE

I want to share with you the fall stitchery I have been working on this week. I think everyone in Blogland is aware of the First Friday Freebie that Kaaren is sharing with us. If not, click on the symbol on the side of my blog and pay her a visit. My project is not done but I am out of time. We leave on vaction in the morning and I have some packing to do.
I added some color to my stitchery project with the use of colored pencils. I have never used that technique before. I think it would need the addition of a textile medium for a sealer if the project was to be washed. I don't think this little wall hanging will be seeing the inside of a washer, so I am not doing that. I need to purchase some for future projects, though. I do not do the back stitch as fast as some of you do. I need to watch someone doing it, so I can figure out why it takes me as long as it does. Anyhow, the project needs batting and backing added, a little machine stitching around the border area for minimal quilting and then the edge binding.

I am giving thought to adding magnets to the back so the project could hang on the fridge. Some advice please if anyone has done this. I would think the magnets would have to be in cloth pockets of some kind.

The mailman left me a package today. Caryn from Pieceful Chaos had a giveaway on her blog. She decided to give everyone who had left a comment by a certain time some goodies. I was one of those. She made scissor fobs and that was all I was expecting. Such a surprise to receive a bigger package. This is what was in it.

The very pretty scissors fob, a fall leaf design note pad for the fridge, some fall smell goodies, and a calender mouse pad for by the computer. I sent Caryn a note to let her know the package had arrived. Also, to let her know that I was thinking just yesterday that I needed a little calendar by the computer and here comes one in the mail.

I also have a small Halloween project started from the September issue of Fons & Porter magazine. I decided not to photograph it for today's post as it needs some buttonhole stitching, a tiny bit of embroidery and some beads before you can see what it is going to look like. I may take it along on our trip to finish. I have several hand projects. I have to decide which of them to pack. I always take more than I could ever do in a week but the fear of running out of something to do in my spare time makes me do it.

I will not have computer access on the trip, so if you don't hear from me, you know why. Back in a little over a week.

Karen

29 comments:

Kaaren said...

Woo hoo! Another one! It looks wonderful and I love the border fabric you used.

Watercolor pencils can be a little tricky on fabric, Karen because they will run 'outside of the lines' if water gets on them. If you want to add color, you can use Crayola crayons. Color in the areas with the appropriate color then iron between two pieces of paper toweling...one piece underneath and one piece on top...and this will melt the excess crayon residue into the paper towel and at the same time set the color. Hold the paper towel still so as not to transfer the color that is absorbed by the towel to a place where it is not wanted. Make sense?

Have a safe trip and have a good time.

Terry said...

Love your stitchery! I used colored pencils on my wonky houses and never had a bit of trouble with them running. I was worried about that because I use a wash out marker to mark my lines. But when I wet the stitchery to remove the lines the colored pencil stayed right where it was supposed to! I wouldn't want to try laundering it though.

*karendianne. said...

This one is so totally cute! I sure do enjoy watching you work one these. I think it would be great on the fridge... or anywhere for that matter. Definitely delightful. Love your giftage that arrived, too. Great surprises there. Godspeed! *karendianne.

Catherine said...

I love your stitchery project! I'm hoping to get mine done this weekend.

Jeanette said...

Hi Karen, I have a larger Halloween quilt that I made last year that I hung on the back of my front door with magnets. I just put on a regular sleeve on the back and then I just used a couple of those strong magnets and put them inside the corners of the sleeve. I can't remember if I did anything at the bottom or not. It worked great!

Lorraine said...

Cute stitcher Karen...I have been experimenting with coloured pencils (Derwent Studio not watercolour) for colouring stitcheries and if you need to launder a project it is best to paint over the coloured area with textile medium....I think the one I used was from Plaid....Derwent Inktense pencils give a stronger colour and to use those I painted a small area at a time with textile medium then coloured directly onto the area whilst it was still wet....it is fun to play with colour and to colour in..haven't done that since I was a kid!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Your stitchery is very cute and the coloring was a real nice touch. I hope you have a great vacation - safe travels.

hugs - karen

Angela said...

I love your little stitchery! The coloring really makes the design look great! I will need to try that sometime!

Kathy said...

Your stitchery looks great! I've got it printed but don't have it started yet. The coloring really adds to it. I've never used the colored pencils but have used Crayola Crayons and did the same technique that Kaaron said.

It will be cute on the fridge or you could even get one of those cute little wire hangers to put it on too. Great Job.

Colleen said...

That turned out so cute! Have a wonderful trip Karen! We will all be here when you get back.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Hi Karen--love your fall stitchery--I have not gotten to mine yet---Have a safe trip and have fun--hug, just, Di

Ginger Patches said...

I really like that with the color, what a good idea. I have used magnets lots of different ways, a hot glue gun works well and it peels right off if you don't want them on there anymore. I have also used magnet tape with some success but it depends on how heavy your stitchery is. Have a wonderful trip!!

QuiltSue said...

Enjoy your holiday. We'll look forward to seeing what you got finished when you get back.

Karen said...

Your fall stitchery is really cute! I've never used pencils on fabric before but I have used colored pigma pens. Some even have a tiny brush tip which can be very helpful when shading in.
Have a great trip!

Crispy said...

A very cute stitchery!! Have a wonderful time on your vacation :0)

Crispy

Tam said...

Love the stitchery!
Have a great trip!

DianeH said...

Good Morning Karen! Just found your blog and signed up to follow you. I'm a blog friend of Kaaren's and love your stitchery with added colour. I'm going to try that. I see so many of the Australian designer's add colour and it looks great.

Stina said...

Love your version... :o)))
I have used crayolas ...and it works fantastic..:o) and its fun too!!! :o)
Congratulations on your giveaway win..loved the fob!!!

Allie said...

I love the use of colored pencils in your stitchery, I'll have to try that - I usually use crayons.
I have a friend that always makes small projects to hang on her fridge. She adds the magnetic strips to the back - one side is adhesive, and can be peeled off if you choose. I've used it too and it's wonderful. I usually add a strip to the top and bottom.

Lovely parcel you recieved from Caryn - I love that mouse pad! Enjoy your trip!

Wendy said...

I love how you added colour to your stitchery, it really looks great. Have a safe trip.

Micki said...

I love your stitchery and have a wonderful trip!
Micki

Carrie P. said...

OH your stitchery is so cute. Great idea to color it too. I just finished mine, now I need to put ti together.
Have a great trip.

Julia said...

I love your fall stitchery, which reminds me, I want to get started on some kind of autumn wall hanging, but haven't decided what to do yet!! Hope you have a lovely holiday:0)

em's scrapbag said...

Your stitchery looks wonderful. And what a fun package. Have a nice trip!

Rose Marie said...

A few years ago, I made a hanging for my sister to hang on her outside metal door. I used those peel and stick magnet sheets that I just cut strips of and attached directly onto the back of the hanging.

Crayons would be a better thing to use for colouring.

Melanie Truesdale said...

Karen,

HANGING HELP! Instead of magnets, try the Command Strips (Brand name) of picture hangers. They stick on walls, frig, windows etc and come off with no damage. Also will hold fabric up if you use the correct weight and space them out. My sister and I use them all the time to change things fast.

Melanie

julieQ said...

Very nice stitchery, I love your border. I have that Fons and Porter magazine...and have been considering doing that quilt! Too many projects whirling around in my head, ya know?

Serena said...

Beautiful! I love looking at your work!

Kim said...

A delightful stitchery and would be a nice idea to use magnets to hang it. A nice giveaway gift, too. Hope your vacation was nice and will look forward to hearing from you soon.