QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Vacancy".

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

SEW 'N SEW SATURDAY

This past Saturday was the monthly meeting of The Sew'n Sews and it was my turn to host. My sister-in-law helped with some of the preparation before she left to return home. And a big thanks for that. We started with Show 'n Tell. Kenyan showed us this finished quilt. She said she had to really work hard to get lines to match up and found it frustrating. Then she went back and checked the shop sample and found that the quilt there did not match up the lines perfectly. All agreed that the lines down her quilt looked very good.
The second quilt has a trick to it that involves squares folded on the diagonal and then pulled back slightly in the center to give a curved appearance. Kenyan machine quilts all her pieces. She did some circular designs in the center of the stars that also added to the illusion.
One of our members showed us how to do the French Roses quilt blocks a while back. This is Jean's quilt.
Jean took quilt blocks that another friend of mine had been working on and got tired of the project. Jean had to finish one block and put everything together. This is her finished result. The quilt is from a Joined at the Hip pattern. I made one of these last year and you can see it here.
And here is another quilt that Jean took parts from my friend's discard UFO and finished it. Jean just needs to do the binding. It made a wonderful quilt.
After showing and discussing the quilts, we moved to the dining room to play Fat Quarter Bingo. We played two regular rounds and then a cover-all.

The ladies then started working on coloring quilt blocks that I had prepared using colored pencils. I showed them the "Faux Applique" book by Helen Stubbings and we discussed the technique. While they colored, myself and Vicky got lunch ready. Vicky's husband made potato salad for us and a big thank you for that. My husband had previously picked up barbecue called Sloppy Woody. It just required reheating. I prepared a squash casserole earlier in the morning. My sister-in-law had baked apple dumplings for us the night before. We reheated them and added a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Mmmmm good! A good time was had by all.

Time for me to get into the sewing room and work on my Great Pumpkin quilt. Have a great day and come back soon for another visit.

Karen

27 comments:

Crispy said...

Lovely quilts Karen. I bet the person with the UFO is kicking herself after seeing that beauty.

Crispy

Barb said...

Ohhhhhh loved all the quilts and seems like you made sure everyone had a fun time and to learn something new too....wonderful.

Darlene said...

A yummy day with friends! Beautiful quilts.

Deb said...

Friends and quilts. Is there any better way to spend the day. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Joined at the Hip one - just because I'm partial to them, but they all look fantastic!

Screen Door said...

OK--- I want to become Jean's daughter, sister, Mom, niece, aunt.... Heck, I'll even become her Grandma at a chance to inherit that basket quilt...It just brings smiles. I'm off to research the pattern now. Just goes to show... one person tired of a quilt, brings love to another. I admire the friend that let go of the piece...

Michelle said...

It sounds like a wonderful day. All the quilts are so beautiful. I love all the various techniques used.

Julia said...

What a lovely lot of quilts - especially the 'Joined at the Hip' one:0)

Janet said...

It sounds like a wonderful day and what a great show and tell.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

It had to be a three win-win--Friends, Quilts and FOOD--can;t get any better than that---loved all the quilt projects--Hugs, Di

Millie said...

Beautiful quilts and a lovely day with quilting friends...just wonderful.

Lori said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I too made the joined at the hip basket quilt.:)

Julia said...

Great quilts!
I love the last one shown..
OK, what's Fat Quarter bingo please...sounds like fun.
Julia ♥

Kathie said...

sure looks like everyone had fun
so nice to see the show and tell!
thanks!
apple dumplings sound yummy!

em's scrapbag said...

Lovely quilts, good company and yummy food. Sounds like a wonderful time.

Allie said...

Those quilts are gorgeous - I can so relate to being frustrated about matching up lines! Sounds like you had a great day and now I'm hungry after reading about that food!

Colleen said...

Thank you for the show and tell, Karen! Such a nice way to spend the day :o)

call me crazy said...

Oh I love all the quilts! The last one especially! :-) I'll bet Jean is tickled to have gotten the UFO's! Sounds like y'all had a great time!

Miriam said...

I absolutely love that last quilt!!!!
I would love to make it. Do you know if there is a pattern available??

Carol said...

Sounds like a great day...what wonderful Show and Tell...I love the Joined at the Hip basket quilt.

Karen said...

Great show n tell! My favorite was the very last photo! The quilt bee I belong to is also called The Sew n Sews! :0)

Carrie P. said...

Great show and tell. The first quilt is great and even though the lines did not have to match she did a fabulous job. The second one is being taught at one of quilt shops.
How nice of your SIL to make apple dumplings. Yum!

Kaaren said...

Looks and sounds like you had a great time. Those ladies sure made some awesome quilts.

Fat quarter bingo, huh? Well you got me there, Karen.

Great company, good food and beautiful quilts. I'd say you had almost a perfect day!

Teresa said...

Great quilts - thanks for sharing all the pictures. Your meeting sounds like so much fun.

Libby said...

What a great show and tell. It's such fun to spend an afternoon with quilting pals *s*

QuiltSue said...

What a talented bunch of friends you have. All that and great sounding food too. Please can I join your gang?

Barb said...

I love quilt bingo! wonderful show and tell. I love the basket quilt. What a fun filled day-
barb

Miss Sews-it-all said...

Your group looks like so much fun, and what wonderful quilts! I host a similar group, but we craft together. It's a great time to visit and be creative!

We found a place to find sewing inspriation at www.WeAllSew.com - there are links to projects, some of them quilting, and also a list of places to sew for charity.