QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Pond Racing".

Monday, October 19, 2009

THIS AND THAT PROJECT UPDATES

Time for some project updates. My sister-in-law is visiting from the Atlanta area. We have been working jigsaw puzzles at a frenzied pace of about one a day. I have not been doing much in the sewing line but have gotten a little bit done.

I finally found the "Great Pumpkin Quilt" blocks that I had been searching for. It was in one of the project containers but the very last one I could look in that was in the sewing room closet. I don't know how I missed checking the container previously. Anyhow, found they are. Here is one of them that the stitching is almost complete on. This will be the 8th one finished of the nine regular size blocks. That leaves me with one to go of that size and then the one that stretches the whole width of the quilt. I think I will get the top done yet this month but it won't be quilted for this fall season.
I am trying the Colorque method from the "Faux Applique" book by Helen Stubbings. Here is the block that I practiced on. The technique uses colored pencils and a textile medium for sealing the color. The block needs the embroidery done around each colored area and the stems done. The Sew 'n Sews will be coming here Saturday as it is my turn to host. I have prepared blocks for them to play with using this technique. I find the technique interesting but I am not sure I would want to do a whole big quilt this way.
The last photo is of another block for the Christmas quilt. I have two Christmas quilts in the making. A more prim style by Cheri Saffiote-Payne and this one. I have posted a few parts to this quilt earlier this year. I need to take a picture of all the parts together soon. Have a good ways to go on this quilt yet.
I finished another small project but forgot to photograph it. It will give me something to show you on the next post. I also have made progress on the prim style Christmas quilt which I need to photograph.

That's all for now. Thanks for paying a visit to my blog!

Karen

31 comments:

Sue said...

Love the blocks you are working on. It's nice to do some seasonal work. I'm hoping to have mine done by end of week...but we'll see ;)

Kaaren said...

I love The Great Pumpkin quilt, Karen. Pineapples and pumpkins...is there anything better? Would you mind sharing the designer?

Your Christmas quily is coming along nicely as well. I better get cracking!

Sherri said...

I can't wait to see the pumpkin blocks all together!!!

Angela said...

I have been in a Christmas mood lately, so I am really liking the Santa block! Cant wait to see more of that one! :o)

Karen said...

I like the pineapple pumpkin block. Even though you may have company, it looks like you are still keeping yourself busy!

Quilt Hollow said...

Care to guess what I will say? LOL Love...Love....Love pineapple with the pumpkin!!

Teresa said...

Nice post! I particularly like the Santa and reindeer block...I can't wait to see more of that one.

em's scrapbag said...

The color pencil applique method looks fun.
I really like the Santa and pinwheels.

Allie said...

LOVE that pineapple!
So that method has a name now? LOL - I've been doing that for about 15 years, with pencils, markers, fabric paint, acrylic paints, and crayons. No, I wouldn't want to do a big quilt either - although my first one was a wall-hanging, over six feet long. Painted with thinned out [water] fabric paints.

Love your Santa - boy you've been busy!

Crispy said...

Lots of projects goin' on and still you are doing jig saw puzzles, I love doing those.

Crispy

Cathi said...

Your pumpkin is wonderful!! I'm intrigued by the colorque technique but wonder if one could wash the quilts on which it was used?

Janet said...

I love the pumpkin block but the santa one is really terrific. Good to try new things and I notice that the colouring blocks are quite popular here.

QuiltSue said...

The pumpkin block looks interesting, I'll look forward to seeing the whole quilt.

The Christmas one looks good too, I love the Santa.

Libby said...

Love the pineapple pumpkin!

I'm tellin' you . . . . someday I'm going to get that Cheri Payne Christmas quilt made - someday *s*

Barb said...

Where do I see the pineapple block? Is it in another post? The stencil block is very nice!
barb

Tam said...

Love the pumpkin block!
Sounds like your sewing group will have some fun with the colored pencil technique.
Puzzles are great aren't they, very addicting too :)
Can't wait to see your finished projects!

Colleen said...

Ahhh... you are doing so much better on your Great Pumpkin quilt. I only picked 4 blocks and I am still working on 3 of them! I am with you... the jury is out on the colorique technique for me. I guess I just can't get past the fact that I feel it should be appliqued or embroidered. And I love the Santa block!

Michelle said...

All your projects are gorgeous! Keep us updated!

Stina said...

Lovely things going on at house of Karen...:o) Just love your christmas quilts... curious about your cheri quilt..
have you finished all the blocks for it???

call me crazy said...

I love the Great Pumpkin quilt too! I saw one finished at a show once and fell in love but thought it was out of my league with all the applique. Now I'm getting a little braver so maybe one day I can attempt one too! ;-) Have a great week!

Karen said...

Love the Great Pumpkin Quilt block!!

Teresa said...

Oh, I just love that Santa! I have done some of the Colorque things and enjoy the technique, although like you, I am not sure I want to do an entire quilt. I see great uses for it in making quilt labels and also in doing special touches on some blocks. Its a lot of fun though and you get great results.

Teresa said...

Oh, I just love that Santa! I have done some of the Colorque things and enjoy the technique, although like you, I am not sure I want to do an entire quilt. I see great uses for it in making quilt labels and also in doing special touches on some blocks. Its a lot of fun though and you get great results.

Jeanne said...

You always have the best projects! The blog Halloween background is too cute.

Myra said...

Great new blog look! Very Halloweenish! 8-)
Pineapple/pumpkin block is wonderful!
Cool Faux Applique method.. will be watching.
A wonderfu Santa and sleigh!!! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Micki said...

The quilt and the blocks are just so cute!
Great job!
Micki

Clare Wassermann said...

I've really enjoyed your blog - I am a real fan of autumn quilts! xx

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Well you've been a busy gal over here haven't you?

Ginger Patches said...

I'm glad you found your blocks...I HATE it when I do that, and I do it more than is reasonable lol! I love all your blocks, although I don't think I quite "get" what you did on the one with colored pencils lol!

Carrie P. said...

Your pumpkin block is so cute and so is Santa.
I have been coloring blocks with crayons. It is fun.
Enjoy your visit with SIL.

MARCIE said...

I have seen that paint and embroider technique. I looks really neat. Your Santa and reindeer look darling too! I love red and white pinwheels!