QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Saturday, November 7, 2009

NEW PROJECTS

A week since my last post and I have been busy stitching. I finished this stitchery, added a border, a tiny bit of quilting, binding, and now have a small wall hanging. The pattern for the stitchery is a e-pattern from Chestnut Junction. I found it interesting that it has "Belmont County, Ohio" in the design. My in-laws lived in that county for many years. The designer lives in Ohio near that area. I am not sure if her city is actually in that county but it may be why she chose to incorporate it into the design. I did the stitching all in brown on tea dye muslin. I thought it looked a bit dull, so I chose a brown fabric with a bit of rust color in it and used a rust color binding. The design would have fit an 8"x10" frame but I liked the addition of the fabric border and finished as a small wall quilt.
The next photo is of a paper mache box that I covered with fabric. I followed directions that was found on Blackbird Designs' blog. I lined the inside of the box with paper. The directions said the lid would be a tight fit. Well, it turned out so tight that I have to bend in the box and struggle to get the lid on.

The next photo is a paper mache box I had finished a couple weeks ago. I followed Kaaren's instructions that are in a tutorial on her blog. The lid is too heavy but not because of Kaaren's instructions. My own doing there. I stuffed the pincushion with sand. Normally that would have been fine but not for the box lid. Also, the pincushion did not want to lay down flat close to the edges, so glue shows on the box lid. I want to do another using her instructions and a poly fil for the stuffing. The bird design was from a Jo Morton book.

I know Halloween is over but I forgot to show you this little pillow a friend gave me. It was given to me during the summer and I wanted to wait until October to post the picture. Then I forgot to do it. It is small but has a lot of design on it. I like it very much.
I have been prepping blocks for raw edge stitching for a new quilt. The pattern set is "Land of the Free" by Piece 'O Cake Designs. I have the large center block left to prep. You will be seeing more or this as I progress.
I am also working on a little cross stitch project. I didn't photograph it today but will show it to you soon.

Our weather is still summer-like here. Not as hot as it had been, but still warm.

Enjoy your day and come back for another visit soon.

Karen

34 comments:

  1. Oh... you have been busy sewing stitching and crafting..:o)) And lovely projects as always... Hoped I would have had a go on the boxes..but still havent ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing your projects, I love to see what you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always fun to pop in and see what your working on over there. Your busy as always with great show and share. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Karen I love that new project of yours, Sweet land of Liberty, its one I have been thinking about doing as well.
    Love the americana look of this quilt can't wait to see your blocks in full can you do that? We are changing our family room to have a patriotic /americana look to it and thought this would be great to hang in the room.

    The boxes are really nice too, I saw that tutorial too on Alma's blog and thought I am have to do that.
    Good idea to make the stitchery a little quilt
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your projects! Especially that box with the lid! And I like your new quilt! I love piece of cake designs - not necessarily their fabric choices - but their designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your fabric covered boxes. Just think of all the fun things you can store in them *s*

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great show of your lovely works in progress. I want to make the box so I think I'll try to go with a fine fabric after you saying about the lid. The applique looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may not have been blogging~ but you have been busy!! :-) Wow! Love seeing all your projects! Sweet Land of Liberty is wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You've been busy this week!! I love your little boxes, I've done that with napkins and paper but not with fabric, but now the wheels are turning lol! That Halloween pillow is adorable! I love it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my where to start. I love your stitchery, and the fabrics you used with it are wonderful. I also love your boxes, especially the pincushion one...love the bird on top. The Halloween pillow is darling, and your blocks for your quilt are AWESOME - I can't wait to see the quilt done! I really like Piece 'O Cake designs.

    You've been really busy, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you have been busy....love your boxes....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Busy girl! Your embroidery is so sweet.
    I saw those boxes on BBD. Very cool idea and your turned out great.
    Love your applique!

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute kitty pillow...and i love your stitchery too! but your applique is just amazing on the sweet land of liberty piece....wow! Lots of lovelies at your place :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your stitchery, Karen and the pillow from your friend is darling.

    Why not try to glue some jute or primitive piping around the pincushion on the lid to hide the glue. You can braid the jute to make it wider as well...even double the strands before braiding it.

    I was going to try the BBD way of covering a box but rather than line the inside of the rim on the lid with paper, I think I'll paint it. It might fit a little better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been busy. I specially love the pincushion box.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, you've been really busy haven't you.

    Love the new stitchery and the applique blocks. And the covered box looks good despite the problems you've had with it:0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a machine!!! I've been wanting to try covering teh boxes but haven't had time. I better add it to my list:) Your patriotic applique is going fast!! Maybe I'll get a chance to sew my #2 down today.
    I love the kitty pillow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So lovely as always, Karen :o) The stitchery is adorable and I love the boxes...The crow is very cute!

    It was getting so much cooler here, like pre-winter, but the last couple of days, we have had warm weather again. Yuk. The bugs all come back to life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That embroidery is so darling! I enjoy those samplers so much! You have sure been busy! What a funny pillow from your friend! We never outgrow the ned for cuteness! And the applique project looks awesome! How on earth do you do it all?!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have been a very busy girl! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow -- you have been busy!! Love the stitchery.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the stitchery. And the box, too. You have really been busy! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, You have so many lovely prosjects going on. And I love your new lay out,too :o) Your Great Pumpkins Quilt is so beutiful - I love the dark border you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the stitchery. Don't give up on the boxes they are cute. And your blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. your box looks terrific!
    the pillow is adorable and the applique blocks are wonderful.
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  27. i am very impressed by your appliqué blocks and quilts. They are gorgeous.
    But I like your stitchery mini quilt too. There is always a place in the house to hang one like that. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i am very impressed by your appliqué blocks and quilts. They are gorgeous.
    But I like your stitchery mini quilt too. There is always a place in the house to hang one like that. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I especially love the sampler - I've been thinking of trying to design one of my own. I can't draw a stick figure so I'm not sure what makes me think I could do that but you never know till you try! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your piece of cake quilt, I went over to see about getting the pattern. I also love, love your hat box! gorgeous for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely things you posted ... I think the Land of the free may be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Karen,
    I like your little redwork quilt. It looks so vintage and is very pretty.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cute little pillow and I love the stitchery!

    ReplyDelete