QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

SURPRISE PACKAGE

Hello to all stopping by for a visit! I received a surprise package at my front door from Colleen. She had e-mailed to tell me to watch my mailbox for a package. I was not home when the mailman came so he left the package at our front door instead of trying to cram it in the mailbox. Thank you mailman! The package was kind of flat and had a box inside. I had no idea what to expect. Inside was this Moda Bake Shop Sampler. I have never seen one before.
Inside are 480 2 1/2" charm squares of different lines of Moda fabrics. My favorite stack is "Garden Party" by Blackbird Designs, "Butterfly Garden" by Kansas Troubles, "Martinique" by 3Sisters, and on and on.
It's like a box of chocolates. You have to stick your finger in the middle to find out what's in the center. Not the best shot of my arm. Trying to hold the camera and take a picture of my hand is not the easiest. I can see some fun in the future playing with these packs of fabrics. Thank you Colleen. We have been buddies right from the start of my first blog post. We both like prim style. I have a feeling that if I loosen the bands on the stacks and start playing, the pieces will never fit back into this box.
I am in the process of working on another three segments of a Christmas quilt. Here are some parts. I need to do the machine stitching on the blocks. I have another applique block to create maybe today and some pieced blocks. I don't know how many more parts there are to go. It is sort of like chapters in a book and I am just doing them as they come.

I made the stars that are the November blocks for Vicksburg which is a free block of the month by Dawn at Linen Closet Quilts. This month we were to make four stars. I don't know exactly how everything will be set in the final piece but I put them on the design wall the best way I could photograph.
I was asked to lay out my blocks for "Land of the Free" for a picture. It is a good thing I did as I find that I am missing a block. One of the blocks is repeated. Guess I should have read the directions. I just made one so I will have to get back into the sewing room and prep another. These are fused and will be machine stitched around the raw edges. Lots of stitching to do. I treated the center block as one big block instead of four small ones. The four blocks end up looking like one big block anyhow.
I finished the cross stitching. This piece will be made into something here very soon. I am trying to figure out the girl in the corner. Is she sitting at an old fashioned school desk? What do you see?
I finished making the Old Glory table runner. This is the back side. I used a Declaration of Independence panel on the back.
And here is the front of the runner. This was quick to make. The flag section is pieced, borders added around it and then the eagle panels added to the ends.
There was a shuttle launch on Monday. I tried to get a picture. We were standing in the screened pool area watching over the tree tops. This was our view. The night or close to sunset launches appear more dramatic but still we had a pretty good view in mid afternoon. There was a rocket launch a couple weeks ago. It was cloudy here so we only had a very short view of the rocket going up.
I am about to head to the sewing room to get more done on on-going projects. Come back soon for another visit.

Karen

38 comments:

  1. Oh...what a wonderful gift from Colleen... I love the look of "candybox" with fabrics.. they do look so pretty... almost too pretty..:o)
    Have fun playing with them..:o) I always find it so inspiring to visit you.. love everything you have in progress :o) Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful surprise from Colleen - now I can't wait to see how you use them. :-)

    Love your 'Land of the Free' project. The blocks from Dawn's blog are terrific.

    The little girl in the chair is doing her needlework. Young girls learned their alphabet by doing samplers like the one you did.

    Always lots of wonderfulness to see when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, that box looks like quilters candy. Love love love the patirot runner - well done fabric placement.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a bunch of fun! love the little charm packs...lots and lots of colors in such a tiny package :)
    your applique work is so lovely...the christmas squares are great...but the Liberty piece...WOW!!!
    as for the girl in the cross stitch piece...it looks like she is sitting in a rocker working on an embroidery hoop (at least thats what i see).
    Love the shuttle shot too!
    a fun post!
    cheers~
    lisajo

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a surprise, yummy! your works are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift you got and the Liberty Piece is just spectacular!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky You Karen :-) I would choose them over chocolates anytime :-))
    Enjoy
    Cheers
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. that was so nice of Colleen to send you that box of treats :)
    will be fun to see what you do with it.
    I love the table runner, great use of those fabrics, oh I just love those eagles!!!!
    oh my the quilt is just perfect!
    love your fabric choices fo the Land of the Free...
    I do see her sitting perhaps with a pillow in her lap while she is stitching????
    love the blue
    very pretty
    you have had a very productive week!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Karen what a great parcel...better than chocolate any day.
    You have been a busy girl!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto with the sampler box being better than chocolates. What a super gift!

    I can't believe how busy you've been. Wait...yes I can. You are one of the most prolific quilters I know. And I just love all of your projects.

    Thanks for sharing everything, Karen. You are indeed an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect gift. Lots of quilty fun there. My you've been busy with some very beautiful things. I enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a delicious treat left at the door *s*

    I remember running outside to watch missile launches when I was girl. It was something to hear that unmistakable rumble, then watch as the fire ball ascended into the sky, trying to count the payloads as they dropped of into the ocean. A very unique experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are enjoying your little gifty :o) Love all your projects, as usual. You get so much done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sampler of fabric is incredible - how yummy can you get!!! You'll have fun with that, I'm sure.
    I love all your projects - especially Land of the Free! Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool to see the shuttle launch that close.
    Wonderful gift to receive from another blogget...and then your quilt...gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Bakeshop Sampler looks so yummy! I haven't seen one before either. Your beautiful quilts are lovely to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW what a nice surprise!!!! I'd think I died and went to fabric heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you've been busy!! What a great surprise, what will you do with those cuties?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous surprise from Colleen! I'd love one of those boxes and wow on your Land of the free and the table runner, both fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely box of "chocolates" to get unexpectedly.

    You have been busy, and your Christmas quilt is looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the tiny charms!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of great projects and a wonderful gift!! I believe the girl is sitting in a straight back chair with her hoop in her hand :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are trying to make progress before your surgery? It's working! You are a machine!!! Where to begin?
    Your little box of pastries is dreamy! Why oh why must the name everything after food?!
    I love your table runner and adore the eagles on the ends. And what a perfect place for the Declaration.
    The Land of the Free is amazing!!!Yours really inspires me to do a bit more on mine.
    I love all that you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are working on such nice projects again. My favourite is the christmas aplique!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Karen,
    You are amazing, all your projects are wonderful. Your Land of the Free quilt is striking, I think I would like the center as one piece too. Directions, oh yes they do come in handy....I know you will figure it out.
    How wonderful of Colleen to surprise you, looks like alot of fun in that box, can't wait to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gift I have never seen one of those before. Now I need to look it up online. Your land of the free quilt is looking great. What a nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! First of all the gift is just over the top generous...what a sweet friend. And your work - are you just sewing all day long? You're getting so much done! I love it all. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful gift and surprise! I LOVE your work, it is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never seen those little Moda samplers....they are awesome! You are blessed to have such friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fabulous surprise!! What fun you'll have with those!
    Your sampler is fabulous. I think she's sitting doing needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a lovely gift! And I love your blocks, they are so pretty! Great shot of the launch as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am looking forward to see what you create from the charm squares, too. A thoughtful gift from Colleen. I like that you made the center block of the LOTF quilt one block, makes it pop! Sheesh, I could use a rock launcher to get me moving, lol. Just look at that beautiful blue sky! See you later! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, how fun was it to go through all that fabric. Congrats.
    I have finished my Linen Closet blocks too. Might post them tomorrow.
    Love your Land of the free quilt so far.
    I see the girl sitting in a regular chair and it so of looks like a cat or dog might be standing up with their paws in her lap.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello! Thanks for your nice comment on my blog :o)
    Jummy stuff you've got in that box! Cannot wait to see what you're doing with them :o)
    Have a great weekend:o)
    Laila

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great gift from Colleen! Awesome!!!
    Great Christmas blocks! Wonderful blocks all round!!!
    Being that there is the alphabets with that gal in the corner, I'd say it is a young girl at a desk...
    Great shot of the launch! 8-)
    Happy stitchings Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful surprise package! I would not be able to keep my hands off all those pretty little squares!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a nice surprise you got! I also love the Moda charm packs!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  38. I so love that charm pack!! I bet it is just fun to look at all the pieces...I wouldn't take it apart either. I am enjoying your patriotic applique coming together, it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete