QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Sunday, January 31, 2010

VALENTINE QUILT FINISHES

Hello to everyone stopping by for a visit. Today's quilt photos have been taken in the evening which is not the best time of day to do it. Had to lay them out on the tile in the entry way with the big light on overhead. So you have a nice view of my tile too.

My first Valentine quilt finish to show you has heart blocks that are embroidered. Stina from Kviltstina designed the hearts and shared them with everyone. Visit her blog and follow the link on her side bar to the patterns. I decided to piece the little quilt, trace the designs onto the white squares, then add batting behind it before doing any of the embroidery. I embroidered the hearts right through the batting. It worked well as I then added the backing and did a quick job of machine quilting. I forgot to add French knots to the one heart design but I think it looks fine as it is. Thank you for sharing, Stina. Hope you like what I made.
Second, I selected the big polka dot fabric for the border on the Valentine redwork stitchery. It gives it a more fun look.
I used the Valentine fabric that looks like cards we gave when I was a child for the backing. It feels good to get two quilts done, though small ones. And now I officially have quilts for Valentine's Day.
There is a new blogger that is looking to make some online quilting friends. I came across her blog through another blog. Her name is Jackie and her blog is called 1836 Victorian Farmhouse. Pay her a visit and say hello. She will be posting more photos of quilts as she goes along and learns more about blogging.

Our weather has been so nice until yesterday afternoon. Well, it is still nicer than many parts of the country but cool for us. I wore a long sleeve denim shirt when we went out this afternoon and was comfortable but it cooled off before we got home. It is a bit chilly this evening. I can't complain because it was so nice last week. Lots of people out in shorts and flip flops. Many times in the winter, those people in shorts and tank tops are tourists. Those that live here think it is cool but those coming from the north think it is balmy.

I will finish up physical therapy this coming week. I am having less discomfort but I am certainly not back to full steam ahead mode yet.

Have a great day!

Karen

32 comments:

  1. I love your Valentine quilts. I love to have little quilts around the house and I see you do, too. I'll look at the new blogger's blog soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilts!! I love that backing fabric and the big red polka dots. Congrats on your last week of PT! :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, I will check out the nblogger. you beat me , I made a valentime tablerunner but I have got to quilt it this week, Your are very pretty and the little one is adorable. I enjoy your blog and have you on my list. HAPPY STITCHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, I will check out the nblogger. you beat me , I made a valentime tablerunner but I have got to quilt it this week, Your are very pretty and the little one is adorable. I enjoy your blog and have you on my list. HAPPY STITCHING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both....wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute quilts. Glad you are feeling a bit better and hope you are to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet little Valentines quilts! How fun to see Stina's designs come to life at your blog. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how fun - I'm seeing HEARTS falling on your blog - I LOVE THEM !!

    Such pretty embroidered hearts, Karen. Such a beautiful job you did on all your Valentine quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I love the heart quilts! And the falling hearts on your blog are adorable:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your finishes Karen :o) Hope you keep on improving with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your finishes Karen :o) Hope you keep on improving with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little quilts, they are so cute. It's good to hear that your recovery is progressing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. very, very cute little quilts
    OMG I Love that backing fabric and I am so glad you used the big polka dot, really makes it in mho.
    That backing fabric had a flood of memories for me as soon as I saw it
    ah yes the valentines of my childhood
    where oh where did you find that fabric would love to have a little piece of it for a backing of my Feb little quilt
    thanks Karen
    glad to hear your getting better, it will be no time at all before your back totally to yourself.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your little hearts quilt! I'm stitching on the last heart now and then I can start sewing pieces together! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of your valentin prosjects is so sweet. I love them both :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. WTG, Karen! Two wonderful Valentine quilt finishes.

    Just think...by next Valentine Day you'll be running a marathon...right to the nearest fabric shop. (wink) I'm happy to hear that you're progressing as well as you are...albeit not as quickly as you'd like, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you are making progress with your knee!! Your projects are great and Hooray for the big dots LOL

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for showing your stitcheries! I love them both and I think I'll do the hearts. Where did you get the other pattern of the boy & girl. That is adorable also!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very Cute little quilts!
    The red work with the polka-dots is just charming.
    I love the valentine backing - makes me want to make a mailbox out of a show box like in grade school and make valentines
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! Great finishes and I love the large polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very fun Valentiney finishes. I've been eyeing those hearts of Stina's. They are lovely. Glad to hear you are improving. Bet you are happy to be about done with pt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh... I love your Valentine 2010 hearts... just lovely...
    Thankyou for making them...:o) oh... this is so fun.. my hearts at your house... :o)
    Love how your other stitchery turned out... it was perfect with the red dotty background..:o)
    Lovely finishes Karen..:o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your little quilts are DARLING! I used to have some of that fabric on the back of the second one. Glad to hear you're almost done with pt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Valentine's day quilts are so cute, especially the stitcheries from Stina. Lovely! I need to make something, anything new. and I have these printed out, I just need to get busy and finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, your valentine projects are great. I have printed off Stina's patterns but have not started them. I am afraid I won't have them done in time for this Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really love the little heart wallhanging! Such lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Valentine quilts are all so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I see you are keeping busy! Great little Valentine quilts Karen!! 8-)

    Great to hear you are having less discomfort and done your theropy!!! You will gain your "full steam" in due time I am sure!!!
    HA! My mom just complained about being bored, and uncomfortable... She has a fairly long road to go yet! LOL!! 8-)

    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful finish, I too used Stina's designs for a finished wallhanging if you want to have a look at my blog...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very, very sweet Valentine quilt! That is something I need to make for next year, a little Valentine wallhanging. I did make a Dear Jane Valentine block, so that's a little something for now.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh your valentine quilt is ADORABLE! I love it!

    ReplyDelete