QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

BUNNYHILL JANUARY SNOWMAN BLOCK AND MORE

I saved all of the Bunnyhill free block of the month patterns last year and have not made up a single one yet. This year, I decided to make an attempt to work throughout the year on the blocks in the new snowman series. Here is the January block.
I visited a blog in the last couple days that has a school house block quilt shown. I left a comment concerning blocks that the little group I belong to made for one of the members. We did birthday blocks. You could select a theme for the blocks to be done for your birthday month or leave it up to the others to select. Jan is a school teacher. We chose to make her Schoolhouse blocks. I had a pattern for a large block where the building side had different quilt blocks instead of a wall with windows. Each person made a different quilt block on their building side when making the block. A blog reader saw my comment & e-mailed to ask me about the blocks. I no longer have the pattern and can't remember any information about it to assist me in finding anything on the internet. I used Electric Quilt to draw a similar block though not as large. Caroline, the blog reader, lives in Belgium. She has good English skills but I could not communicate to her what I meant by changing the blocks you would put on the building side. I sent her the EQ file but with only one block drawn. I e-mailed her later today telling her I would try to get a couple blocks made up and put photos on my blog. Here they are.
I only had time to make one block, so I made a pinwheel block just to lay over the Shoofly block already inserted into my Schoolhouse block.
I am not going to be making these blocks any time soon. I have another Schoolhouse quilt project I need to be working on. Fabric all purchased and ready to go. The Shoofly and Pinwheel blocks are 4 1/2" finished. The overall block is 12" finished. Caroline, I hope this helps you to understand. You can make any 4 1/2" block and change it with each Schoolhouse block that you make.

Come back again soon!

Karen

38 comments:

  1. I love the schoolhouse blocks! Very nice! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of you to show how it's done, such a great idea. I love the snowman block with the polka background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the school house block! and your Bunny Hill block is really cute. I have not started mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snowman block is so cute! I love the background polka dots. I think that's a great idea to do the blocks for members birthdays. The school house blocks are really fun :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Bunny Hill block! Well done! I saved the one from last year too but haven't made them yet.

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks you so much ....you are amazing
    I might consider these houses ;)
    hugs from Belgium where it snowed again overnight
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your schoolhouse blocks! What a fantastic idea! I have been the same as you with the Bunny Hill BOM. Have all the files from last year and just didn't start. I have got my snowman and b/g fabric now and just have to make a start before it's too late again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a clever idea for your schoolhouse blocks! I love the snowman too/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for constructing the school house blocks, Karen. A picture is worth a thousand words and it sure worked this time.

    What a perfect background you chose for your snowman block. It looks like it's snowing. How appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is just lovely!
    I love your snowman block-he is so cute. I have been downloading them too, but haven't started yet. Have a good day, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the snowman block, I wish I would have saved all the patterns too
    the background fabric you chose is great...
    I have seen this done with the house blocks before, I think the woman is from canada that has a pattern out for these...
    love the block
    yes a house quilt or two is on my list too!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the snowman block...the polka dot background is wonderful. Glad you got a solution for the schoolhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your snowman block - the background is perfect. The schoolhouse block is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That background on your snowman is perfect! I recently spotted a similiar quilt block using a barn...they were to post monthly...maybe I need to find that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute that snowman! I'm in love with the schoolhouse blocks though. Very very cool!!! *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute idea for the schoolhouse. I just love house and schoolhouse blocks anyway. Wouldn't this be fun on barn blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute snowman! Neat schoolhouses too~ looks like you are keeping busy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Bunny hill block,it`s great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like both those blocks. I remember those Bunny Hill patterns from last year but never downloaded them. I probably should have because some of the quilts I saw finished up were just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There was a raffle quilt like this at a show in Kingston a few years ago and it was done in red/white and how wonderful it was. Unfortunately, I did not win the quilt, but got a good photo of it. Perhaps one day ....

    ReplyDelete
  21. How perfect is that fabric for your adorable snowman block? Too perfect !!

    And those houses - oh those houses. I DO love them. I truly do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too saved all the 2009 Bunnyhills blocks as I do plan on making it at some point! 8-)

    Great first block of Snowbound you've made Karen! 8-)

    I like your schoolhouse! Great idea to have that set-in-block as the side wall! I will have to give that a try! I'm wondering if you could include a link to this Caroline's blog?

    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a confession.. I did the same as you... with hte Bunny Hill patters.. and sigh...no one of them made..YET..lol.. I said you have to better this year.. and I so hope I will get the right idea soon..:o)
    Love your first block... and school house blocks.. love them...:o) It is something with houses... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful idea with the school houses. Hooray for making progress on the BOM, one down 12 to go LOL.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  25. The snowman block is so cute! But, I am going to be strong and just save the patterns for now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The snowman block is very fun. And I really like the school house blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I love the schoolhouse block! I've seen house blocks like this, but never with the bell tower on it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That polka dot fabric is perfect for the snow man block. Very cute.
    Cool schoolhouse blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I so love your snowbound block...what a great background fabric you're using!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the snowman - I need to stop saving patterns and start making them, lol! Your schoolhouse block is the best one I've ever seen, I love that you can change the blocks like that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Karen at Sewprimitive Quilter has designed patterns that are similar to what you are talking about - perhaps those would be something Caroline would be interested in. They look like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your snowman block is darling. I am with you in the same situation except I have not gotten him sewn yet. Your school house blocks are great, too. I like the idea of putting different blocks on the side of each house.

    ReplyDelete
  33. cute snowbman - and I love the house block - especially the variable use of the secondary block inside - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cute schoolhouse. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your first Snowbound block ~ Great choices! And your schoolhouse block demo was a great idea ~ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your snowman! Be sure to see Karen's blog. http://sewprimitive.blogspot.com/ She has designed a similar house pattern. Yours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE your Snowbound block - SO CUTE! And, those school house blocks are really neat, too!

    ReplyDelete