QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A FINISH AND MORE BASKET BLOCKS

I finished a little wall quilt. When I was working in the sewing room on selecting fabrics and prepping the scene, the snowman fabric seemed to be enough different from the snowy hill. The finished piece seen in different light makes the snowman blend in too much with the hill. I think I will take a gray colored pencil and shade around the edge a bit. If I were to make this again, I would make the cloud more curvy or maybe do two clouds. The pattern is a freebie from Caron Mosey and can be found on Michigan Quilts. The pattern is part of a mystery BOM. It is meant to be a button on quilt for a fabric calendar and is the January quilt. February has a box of popcorn with a Valentine heart and March a Snail's Trail block with a Shamrock. I am not interested in making a fabric calendar but it is a good idea.
Next, I have more basket blocks finished. The block on the top right has two light pieces of fabric in the setting pieces. There are to be more lights scattered around the quilt, but I am thinking I need to replace those two with a piece that is still a light but somewhat darker. I am enjoying stitching these baskets. I took time to prep all the rest of the stitcheries for the quilt.
I am working on finishing a wall banner with the angel stitcheries I did in January. That may get finished today or tomorrow. I am feeling more like spending time in the sewing room than I have for 2 1/2 months. A good feeling!

I came across a new block of the month starting called "Gifts of Grace". If you are interested in taking a peek, the button is on the side bar. Click on it and it will take you to Val Laird's blog. The first block has a butterfly on it.

I don't know about you, but I am tired of cold weather. We live in a much milder climate that much of the USA but it has still been an unusually cold winter for us. I have discovered that my sewing room is about the warmest room in the house. Imagine that. Of course, that is helped by the iron being turned on, lights on, and the sewing machine running. And maybe all that fabric stash has the walls padded enough that it holds the heat in.

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Stay warm! I know that some of you live in the Southern Hemisphere where you are in the midst of summer. Stay cool to those of you.

Karen

28 comments:

  1. Karen, beautiful job on your January block!!! Nicely done, and happy to see another version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the little kitty looking out the window.

    The basket stitcheries are really nice, they look so old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both projects, but especially the baskets. I seem to be attracted to basket blocks lately and am getting ready to make the Schnibbles Picnic wall hanging. I also just got a Fig Tree Fresh Vintage with a Laundry Basket pattern that looks real fun.

    Today we have a break from winter weather and it is sunny gardening weather here in Northern Calif. Might need a real picnic basket if this keeps up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those baskets are looking GREAT! Your snowman is so cute. Perfect for this white winter everyone is having.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen those are too cute!!! I love the little snowman wallhanging. Your baskets are very sweet.

    You're lucky your sewing room is the warmest - I'd stay there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute snowman and then the kitty of course:)
    Lovely stitchery too
    I would stay in the sewing room, glad it's cozy and warm in there for you.
    Snowing again today here in PA but above 20 degrees...whoo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute projects! Hope the cold weather leaves your area soon. We have had the mildest winter on record~ its strange. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep warm. Spring is on the way.
    I love your snowman quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fantastic job on your January block. And I love your stitcheries a lot - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great projects Karen! It's always sew and learn + the pictures can't do a justice to the quilts!

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shading around the snowman is a great idea-he'll cast a shadow! Great winter block!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is just too cute. I totally love the idea of the kitty looking out the window...too darling.

    My, my, my, you've been a busy beaver.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you're right back in the groove, Karen. Lots of great projects happening down there in the sunny, cool-ish south.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy you are feeling better and more like your old self. I enjoy seeing all you create. Happy sewing, Em

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was almost 60 degrees today here in Central Oregon. I hope your spring comes soon!
    I love your little wallhanging and the stitcheries are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now if only I could give you a little heat and you give us a little bit of cold weather?
    Love the cat looking out the window and those basket blocks are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The snowman is lovely. I'm glad that you're now feeling more like spending time sewing. That's good news.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your little kitty looking out the window at the snowman is just adorable! Our backyard neighbors have a cat that sits at their back window for hours every day. It makes my dogs crazy! And I love your basket stitcheries too. That will be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your basket blocks are really coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your baskets are turning out great and I love the little snowman. Hope you get some warm weather soon...we are in the midst of our perfect weather right now and I am loving it!
    Wish I could send you some :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cat is so cute on the January quilt! Love the setting pieces for your baskets. Can't wait to see that one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Karen! Thanks for visiting my blog. I wanted to answer your question about the quilt that uses 179 circles. It's called Holly and Mistletoe designed by Blackbird Designs. I'm doing it as a BOM from Homestead Hearth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the cat looking out of the window, and your baskets are really pretty!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  24. the kittie in the window is soo cute! A mystery bom, you are brave -
    the baskets look great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love those basket blocks, and that snow man it TOO CUTE!! Hope Spring comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahh...two more basket blocks... :o) Looks good.!!
    And I am tired of th cold too... the weather report today was.. even more cold and icy winds...and a warning not to go out... how does this sound...
    SIGH!!!!! Hate winter..and this winter have been the coldest in ages!!! Spring..Spring--- come... come..:o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Karen,

    You do BEAUTIFUL work. I have really enjoyed your blog!!!!!

    Thank you for your kind words on my Pieceful Garden quilt.

    Do you mind if I added you to my blogroll?

    ReplyDelete