QUILT INFO

Liberty Houses is shown in the header picture. It is a Jan Patek pattern in her book "Liberty Garden".

Thursday, February 18, 2010

VINTAGE SEWING MACHINE AND A FINISHED PROJECT

Look what an afternoon of thrift store shopping brought. A vintage sewing machine for $19.00 that sews perfectly. It is a "Compac Precision Sewing Machine" from the early 50's. The machine is not full size but is not as small as the Singer Featherweights. The machine itself was manufactured in Japan. The motor was made in the USA. The light works and has its own plug separate from the machine. Both cords are short. There is a receptacle that the two plugs go into and then that plugs into the wall. You have to be sure you get the light and the machine plugs into the correct holes. My husband tried it at the thrift store and plugged the machine into the one meant for the light. The machine started to run on its own. Took a minute to figure out the problem. The cords and belt are in good shape. I tried doing a search on the internet for information on the machine. I can get a reproduction of the instruction book. I found out very little information beyond that. There is one available on E-Bay right now for $79 but it needs a light bulb, and new cords. I used to have several vintage and antique sewing machines but sold or gave away all but the small ones. This is the first machine that has tempted me in a long time. I only bought it because it was $19 and the machine size is smaller. I used to have two Singer Featherweights but sold both of them quite some time ago. I should have kept one of them. The Compac machine threads like the older Singer machines and sews like a Singer.
We also found nineteen good jigsaw puzzles for 79 cents apiece. We have already worked two of them. Something to do when the weather is not the best for being outside.

I finished the angel project. I ended up just going with the five that I had made. Instead of making more, I sewed them into a long banner type quilt. This was one of my finishes for the Charming Guys & Girls Club February projects. That means, you will be seeing a picture of it again at the end of the month along with whatever else I get done.
I am working on more basket stitcheries. Think I should get back to that. Stop back again soon!

Karen

45 comments:

  1. What a deal! That's a great looking machine.

    OK, I really like your stitchery, it is just too adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great deal you got on the sewing machine! Wish I could find an old one like that! Love what you did with the angel stitcheries too. I've printed them out but haven't started stitching them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you scored big time with your "new" sewing machine, Karen.

    Your angel stitcheries look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel stitchery turned out real nice. Is that a chicken quilt hanging in the background? It's difficult to pass up a sweet old machine, especially at this price. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good find! Now a new home....lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful find in the sewing machine....and your wall hanging is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find! I don't know much about the old machines, but they have a collection of them at our Virginia Quilt Mueseum in Harrisinburg. They have a whole room of them.
    They may be able to help with information about it. They do have a website.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice little pickup and I love your panel!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a find?? Really looks very similar to the featherweight.. I bet you are really glad you went.. Just keep it oiled good and you will probably get lots of use from it. Love the angels.. Also how you assembled them..
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that machine - what a bonus that it works and is in good condition! You can't beat the price for sure.
    I love your angels, that's great the way you set them - very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful find for $19.00. That would have been a definite must have in my book!

    Love your Angel project! The way you set them is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a profitable day, great finds. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great find!!

    Love your wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super thrift store find. You just can't hardly beat the older machine with no plastic parts.
    Love that angel project, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wha a lucky find and a steal. I love the angels, they look great as a banner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your angels set like that and just think, you are waaaay ahead of most of us on Christmas decorating for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a darling sewing machine and what an incredible deal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome deal on the sweet machine. Have fun.

    Love the way you set your stitchery blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a bargain with the machine! Your wall hanging looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great find. The vintage machine reminds me of the one I used as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great find! I just love the old antique sewing machines. I have on myself. Mine's a treadle. Just needs a belt! Sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Geez, and I though I was a good flea marketer! I have been looking at sewing machines at the flea markets for over a year now and haven't even been tempted by what was offered. I would love to find a machine like that! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - you SCORED !

    I think it'd be fun to sew with one of these little, sweet machines.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute machine and a great deal!!
    I love how you set the angel blocks. Nice finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome find on the machine. $19 WOW! What a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great sewing machine! I love my Featherweight - I had 2 and sold 1 but won't be parting with this one. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great little machine. Glad you're feeling good and back to thrifting again. Your stitcheries look great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great find! That machine is lucky to have found a home where it will be used and enjoyed *s*

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a find!!! Lucky you...
    And your Angels all finished... even more luck..:o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Omg that is awesome!!! I never find anything like that...lucky you :)
    I like the banner setting, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a neat find, Karen! Love the angels. That turned out so cute :o)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how you put your angel stitcheries together! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your angel banner. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love old sewing machines and have a small collection. I don't believe I've seen any like the one in the photo. I haven't been lucky to find one at bargain prices like sometimes I read about. I remember reading on a blog of someone finding a white Singer FW setting out in the trash when she was driving by, and, of course, she rescued it. What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How lucky you are to find your self a "new" sewing machine :o) I love old machines and I have one from my grandmother.
    Congrat on your finished angel quilt. It's realy sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful machine, and such a bargain, I am happy for you! I have enjoyed watching your stitcheries come to life. How is the knee coming along??

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great deal Karen. And what a cute little machine. It was your lucky day.
    Love the stitcheries too. Nice way to sew them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great buy you got.
    My husband likes to do puzzles. During one of our antique hunts we saw a wooden puzzle, we didn't buy it but it was neat to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow what a great find!!!! LOVE the stitcherys too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What bargains you found! Wow! That machine looks brand spankin new! I love your little angels. They are absolutely darling.

    ReplyDelete
  41. A cute little sewing machine at a great deal! Your angel runner is very nice too.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  42. Doesn't it feel good when you find something great. The stitchery is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love how you quilted your angels. This turned out really nice, I hope you have a place to hang this in your home, it's a treasure! You inspired me to do a set too, I set my across.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your sewing machine is so cute and what a deal! I treasure my featherweight that cost me $250 a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This was fantastic info ive been commrnting on blogs for weeks trying to increase my page rank this will really help me thanks

    ReplyDelete