QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Vacancy".

Saturday, April 24, 2010

HOUSE QUILT TOP #2

Welcome! I have another quilt top to show you. I finished this house quilt top yesterday. If you have been following my blog, you may remember that I showed a few of the house blocks earlier in the month. I got busy and completed the house blocks a few days ago. Then I sewed the rest together yesterday. This is much more my style than the house quilt top I showed in yesterday's post.
This is pinned to my design wall and is not hanging smoothly but you get the idea of what it looks like. There are twenty-two houses. I repeated one of the red star fabrics once, so I used 21 different fabrics making the houses. The center fabric is one of the reproduction coverlet fabrics. I had cut the center piece earlier in the month and was supposed to cut 6 1/2" squares for the four corner of the same fabric. I decided to wait until the house borders were ready to sew on to cut the corner pieces. Well, the fabric has disappeared. I looked and looked and finally gave up. I used one of the house fabrics for the corner. I had originally purchased a different piece from the Coverlet line for the center. It is nowhere to be found either. So, the two pieces are together hiding from me.

The pattern I used is from the same book as the house quilt I posted a picture of yesterday. It is "Fig Tree Quilts - Houses". The pattern name is "Village Square". There are more good house patterns in the book and certainly do not need to be made in Fig Tree fabrics.

This is a sewing weekend for me with Beth and Colleen. We are thousands of miles apart but will be in contact via computer. I was up early this morning and doing raw edge applique. Now I am preparing a wall hanging for machine quilting. I'm off to the sewing room.

Karen

36 comments:

Darlene said...

Very, very pretty! Have a fun sewing week end with Beth & Colleen.

Quilt Hollow said...

Indeed this one is a stunning quilt and I whole heartedly agree...more to your liking and taste! Bravo!
Enjoy your sewing day with Beth and Colleen....sounds lovely!!

quiltycat said...

I love your top and I like you have used different red for the houses border. I have that book too and it's really inspiring!
nichi

sunny said...

Have a funday sewing with your friends! I need to finish a couple of projects today, but here I sit at the computer instead of the sewing machine. You realize of course, that your missing fabric will turn up as soon as you sew this quilt together??

Lori said...

Very nice! What a great use of the coverlet print!!! This is defintely more your style. (mine too!)

call me crazy said...

I really like red/white 2 color quilts, but I still love yesterday's! :-) I like the border of houses in this one. Have a great sewing day!

Margaret said...

Very nice! Definitely need to have a good strong print for the middle there. What was used in the book? I have to find that book! lol!

katrien said...

Lovely quilttop.

Myra said...

Wow! 2 house quilts done! You are a woman with a mission!!! Both are wonderful! Your red one here is gorgeous Karen! Good for you!! I wish I had your drive! 8-)

Sue said...

You can sure whip up quilts fast :)

I really love the colors in this quilt and it is very nice

julieQ said...

Your quilt is just gorgeous! Love your houses, what a lovely group of reds.

Christine said...

this house quilt is beautiful too...love the center fabric

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

I LOVE this! The fabric in the center is beautiful.

Cardygirl said...

The top looks great...I hate it when fabric "hides" from you!

Allie said...

LOVE it - that fabric in the middle is awesome. Too bad your fabric was hiding from you, but I like what you picked! This is so pretty!

Teresa said...

Both house tops look great...I love the second one especially (I really like red and white quilts!).

I've been so busy on a deadline that I have neglected checking out your blog...I'm trying to catch up. The baskets look so nice...that is going to be a really sweet top as well when finished.

Sue-Anne said...

I love love love the quilt, especially with the coverlet print in the middle. I still like yesterday's quilt too though.

Oh the saga of looking for a lost fabric - I have spent many many hours looking for something without finding it, only to have it pop up a long time later in a place I should have looked first!

Janet said...

Oh that is beautiful, what a good use of the center fabric. I'm just loving the red and white schoolhouses too.

Beth said...

That looks great Karen, you sure can whip out a quilt top lickety split! I raw edge appliqued the Lady Liberty block for Sweet Land of Liberty and now I hit the wall. I think I'm going to close up the shop for the night, but I'll be back tomorrow!

May Britt said...

Love your red and white houses. And enjoy your sewing weekend. Always so fun and filled with vitamin Q

QuiltSue said...

What a great quilt. I really love the houses.

Miriam said...

I really love your centre fabric!!
The quilt is beautiful!

I hope you are having a great time sewing with Beth and Colleen,

Crispy said...

Yep this lovely house quilt is definitly you....I love it for being red too LOL.

Crispy

scraphappy said...

You have been getting so much done lately. Your back must be feeling much better. Isn't it wonderful to be able to return to your usual routine after a diversion like that?

Karen said...

This is definitely more your style! :0)

Sharon said...

Very nice, I love house blocks and a house quilt in red/cream is on my bucket list.

PorshaCoghlan梁子珠 said...

I do like ur article~!!! ........................................

ivoryspring said...

Karen,

This is soooo pretty! That red just does something to me. This looks like such a friendly "village" to live in! :)

Kaaren said...

Now this is "our" style, Karen.

Awesome job!

Karen said...

A lovely quilt and I like how you did it in red.

Taryn said...

I love house quilts and this design is very nice. I hope you get the "kinks" worked out of it. Happy sewing!

Zlaty said...

I like the fabric in the middle! It goes with the houses team! I don't know what the original idea was but this works too!

Happy sewing!

em's scrapbag said...

Beautiful quilt. I love the center fabric. So very sorry it has gone missing.

Rose Marie said...

I love this top!!!! I was wondering what you did with the centre and that is a great idea for a print that you just don't want to cut up into smaller pieces.

Allyson said...

You can never go wrong with a red and white quilt. It looks great.

joan said...

Oh ma ma I can't believe you had time to do all that! You were busy girl and all done so perfectly. I would not be able to pick a favourite as they all look great to me. Congratualtions.