QUILT INFO

The quilt in the header is made from a Sarah Sporer pattern called "Summer Glory".

Friday, April 23, 2010

HOUSE QUILT TOP

I have a new quilt top put together using Moda Fig Tree fabrics. The pattern is from a book called "Fig Tree Quilts Houses" by Joanna Figueroa and Lisa Quan. The pattern is called "My Cotswold Cottages". I don't know if I am meant to use this type of fabric. It is different than my usual fare. I do like the fabrics and I think I like the quilt viewed from a distance. When I am up close, I see such a busy look that I am not sure that it looks good.The pattern called for 16 house blocks set in four rows. I added one more row of four blocks to make a rectangular quilt.

This past Wednesday, I met a fellow blogger for the first time. Her name is Jackie and her blog name is 1836 Victorian Farmhouse. I am not exactly next door to where she is vacationing in Florida. I drove about 50 miles to meet her at a Sit & Sew at Lillie's Quilting Loft. We spent about 3 hours stitching and talking getting to know each other. It was a good visit. Jackie will undoubtedly be making more trips to Central Florida in the future and I am sure we will get together again. This was my first time to meet a blogger in person. Jackie is working on hand piecing blocks for a Dear Jane quilt. The quilt shop has an online store that is part of Quiltshops.com. I think most of you are familiar with that web site if you care to take a peek.

Thanks to all of you that left comments on my last post about the setting for the basket blocks. I think I have made up my mind about the setting. Need to applique more of the blocks and I am working on that.

I have lots of sewing to do today. Hope you get some sewing time too.

Karen


27 comments:

Jan said...

Those houses look great to me. The fabric is gorgous! Love that house block pattern.

Jan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaaren said...

Your quilt looks wonderful in the photo, Karen but I can tell that you are out of your comfort zone with the fabric range. I love them too...but just to look at. They are not something I could live with and our tastes are very similar.

How fun to meet a fellow blogger! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all get together?

Enjoy your weekend.

Margaret said...

I love your house quilt top!! I think it's wonderful! Nice that you got to meet a fellow blogger in person!

call me crazy said...

I love your house top! its the perfect spring quilt to me. :-) And I just like houses. :-)) How fun to meet a blogger in 'real life'! Happy stitchin' on those baskets! :-)

Yvette said...

I really love your house quilt, the colors are great and it is just so inviting.

How fun to meet a fellow blogger and sew with them.

Sue said...

I really think it's a pretty top. I always love house quilts. The colors looked pretty good in your photo.

Been sewing all day myself. Pictures to come:D

How nice to meet a blogger in person.

Enjoy your weekend:)

katie said...

I love the little houses. I think it is fun to get out of our comfort zones once in a while. Love the pieced border also.

Sue-Anne said...

Love your house quilt. The fabric choices look fantastic and it is always good to use something different.

How exciting to meet a fellow blogger!

Christine said...

Your house quilt is lovely...

Millie said...

Your House Quilt is beautiful! Love the soft colors.

Julia said...

Your house quilt is lovely Karen,
But it is hard to work with fabric that is not in your comfort zone..
It will grow on you and I'm sure you'll love it!
I love your header quilt too...
Julia ♥

Allie said...

I LOVE this quilt - you did a wonderful job on it! And how nice to meet a fellow blogger, I've met two so far and it was so fun!

Ginger Patches said...

Beautiful quilt top Karen!!! Isn't fun to meet bloggy friends in real life? I love it!!!

Primitive Friends said...

For some reason, I'm always drawn to house block patterns! I love them!! Now, I'll be looking for this book ~ thanks so much for sharing the name of the book and the pattern!

I must not live too far from you, I'm on the east side of Orlando, just down from the Waterford Lakes Town Plaza, or about 5 miles from UCF.

Kathie said...

I love house quilts....nice quilt, yes a bit out of your color palette but still its a great quilt!
Kathie

Crispy said...

The house quilt is lovely!! It's fun to escape from our comfort zone once in a while :0)

Crispy

Janet said...

It's good to go out of the comfort zone from time to time. It reinforces what we love. I think it's lovely but I know what you mean. I do love house quilts.

Quilt Hollow said...

The houses are wonderful!! Job well done you! Sometimes it is just good fun to work with fabrics that are not considered "normal" to us. Kind of like my someday granddaughter quilt I work on now and then.....pure delight!

Lori said...

I think the quilt is wonderful!! It's fun to do something outside of our "usual".:)

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

What a pretty house quilt! Those are such wonderful colors.

Martha said...

I agree with everyone else -- the houses are very pretty (even up close). Of course, I love busy, scrappy quilts, so this one really appeals to me. I've never made a house quilt, but I've always admired them.

Darlene said...

I love this one, Karen. Very soft and pretty. Definitely not something I'd expect from you but one I know you'll enjoy.

sunny said...

I love your houses! Another item for my to-do list! I'm glad you had fun meeting and stitching with a fellow blogger. I hope to meet some like-minded people someday!

Carrie P. said...

I like both versions of your house blocks.
I met Mary of Quilt Hollow a couple years ago at one of our quilt shows. We didn't get to hang out much because I was working the show but it was fun to meet her.

Dandelion Quilts said...

Your houses look great. I made this quilt and I just love yours too.

Joanna said...

I agree with the others - the houses are fantastic! They don't look busy from a distance. Lovely!