QUILT INFO

The quilt block shown is made from a pattern called "Garden of Hollyhocks" and is found in Norma Whaley's book "Sweet and Simple".

Sunday, May 9, 2010

LONE STAR QUILT TOP

Hello! And Happy Mother's Day. I am just back from a trip to Wally World (Walmart) to try and find a USB cord for my digital camera. The cord for my camera has gone on the fritz and I don't want to pay $25 plus shipping for a new one. No luck finding one at Walmart but the associate in the camera department suggested a card reader. You stick the card from the camera into it and insert that into the port on the computer. It worked fine. I am going to be looking for a new camera, though. Mine is taking lots of fuzzy pictures and it is not a purse size digital camera. I don't need anything fancy.
I am posting a picture of a Lone Star quilt top I made quite a few years ago. I had told two bloggers that I would show the top when I could find it and take a picture. Just kept forgetting to look through my quilts to find it. The quilt top is made with reproduction Smithsonian fabrics. This is from the first line put out. Seems to me there was a second line after that. I took a class taught by Cindy Blackberg. I remember having such a hard time picking which color way to go with. There was a blue range & a purple range. As you can see, I ended up with the blues. The class was mainly for learning to do the Broderie Perse technique but also making the Lone Star and a prairie point border. The reason I never quilted the top is that it developed a "pooch" in the center. I tried more than once to fix that. The more you rip out and resew the bias edges, the less likely it becomes to get things to line up. I could not get rid of the pooch. I gave up and did a flower over the center. I finished the underneath edges of the top and proclaimed this a table topper.

I saw on a blog recently (and I forget which one) that the blogger was using their old metal pot holder loom. I had one when I was young and loved to use it. The first evening I attempted to weave the loops through, I had a mess. I couldn't get the over & under parts in the right place. I made a pot holder but it didn't look right. The next morning when I got up, I looked at the pot holder and it amazingly looked like it should. Here my older brother taken it apart after I went to bed and remade it. He tried to make me think that I had done it right after all and that he had nothing to do with it. I quickly learned how to make them correctly. I had the loom for years but gave it away at some point. I bought a set later on for a grandchild but all that you could get at that time were the plastic looms. Just not the same. About a week after I saw the blog post with the metal loom, I found one in an antique shop and bought it. Who knows if I will ever use it. It is just a childhood reminder.
I found this pineapple doily in a thrift shop for $2.00. Seems to be in very good shape. A couple tiny brown spots but not noticeable. When I was 17, I made a pineapple doily. It was my first attempt at crocheting something. Well, it was supposed to be doily size. I followed the pattern directions but it ended up table cloth size. I don't know why. Possibly the size of the thread contributed to that. I don't think I really knew about thread size then. I never made another doily after that. A relative asked if they could have the one I made as she had a round table it would fit. I switched to crocheting afghans after that.

I have been doing some embroidery on basket blocks. I will do another post very soon and show those. I am also working on Sweet Land of Liberty (a Cherie Saffiote-Payne design). I started it in January of 2008. You can see the beginnings of it here. I got the first row done and a start on the second. Then I don't know why it got put aside. A fellow blogger is working on that design and has inspired me to get back to it. I stayed up until 2 am last night working on a section of it. I will show a picture on my next post.

Time to get shaking and get something done.

Karen

36 comments:

  1. That quilt top is amazing! I love how you solved the pooch problem by putting a flower in the middle. I don't think I'll ever be skilled enough to do a lone star quilt. Love the doily and the loom too. There was recently an article in Piecework that uses old looms like that, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a Texas star quilt and had pooches too. UGH! I am glad I got that out of my system because I don't foresee doing another one. LOL

    I think your Lone Star looks fantastic!

    WOW! What a great doily!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Lone star is wonderful Karen! I have yet to tackle that pattern... Maybe one day! 8-)

    What a wonderful brother you have to "help" with your woven potholder... I too recall making potholders for my mother...way back when...

    A beautiful doily find for $2 Karen! I can relate to your crochet story as I have a very similar one! Hook size and thread size were the issue...

    Love your stitcheries in your previous post, as well as your little "Spring" wall-quilt finish!

    Happy stitchings! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pooch or not, it's absolutely beautiful. You should be so proud of this top. Mine is just the star, it's not quilted or appliqued, just hanging in the closet. I must pull it out and get it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! That is another pattern that is on my 'bucket list'. One of these days, I'll get one made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your Lone Star quilt is a real achievement, as it looks like a really tricky pattern - I don't think I would be so brave!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day Karen! That lone star top is AMAZING - just amazing, and I love how you solved the pooch problem, very creative! I remember making those potholders - I think it might have been a Girl Scout project.

    I never did crochet with thread. I remember begging my mum to teach me to crochet, she never did [she was left-handed, I was not] so I taught myself. I still love to crochet and collect doilies from the thrift store - yours is lovely but you're right, afghans are much easier, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that Lone Star quilt! Such beautiful fabrics and you always do such a nice job.

    Boy! I remember having an old metal potholder loom like that one. That brought back a lot of memories:)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quilt the colours are gorgeous. Love it.
    Happy Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful, just beautiful lone star. Oh those fabrics :)
    the loom so funny I have been looking for one too ever since I saw that on Barb's post!
    thought it would be a fun project to make a few of those pot holders and show my girls something I did as a child!
    Hope your enjoying your Mothers Day!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your longstar quilt is amazing.... inchwormfabrics.blogspot.com is giving away a lonestar book.

    Love the table cloth...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Lone Star is absolutely stunning! I have always wanted to make one. I love the story about the doily/tablecloth!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That top is beautiful. I have never quilted one, but I have painted a few of them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt, Karen!

    Oh, I played with the same loom and loops - my grandmother had a ton of potholders. LOL

    I've never enjoyed crocheting with thread - I seem to do much better with yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen, Love the quilt top!
    I have one of those small looms and remember making potholders with my daughter. I think I will look for it. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful blue Lone Star Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love my SD card reader. I tend to leave one card in the reader and one in the camera. Before I did that I would pick up the camera with no card in it, but now I am always loaded for bear. Love your quilt! Karmen

    ReplyDelete
  18. A full post of wonderful goodness! I really like the lone star and the colors are fantastic!!
    My mom crocheted my second baby a crib cover, but it ended up fitting on his twin size bed!! WE never used it but hopefully will become a family heirloom.
    I love your SLoL!! I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful quilt. I made a lone star in a class and the teacher made us starch all the fabrics and paper piece long strips to cut apart. It worked but it was extra work. I think I did the crochet pineapple thing when I was about that age too, I gave them all away. We never had those looms here but I'm sure I would have been into that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Lone Star quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the Lone Star, even if it's poochy. It seems we followed the same progression in hand work. I LOVE my loom and had a crochet table cloth that I worked off and on for years....wonder where that disappeared to LOL

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great post Karen! Your Lone Star is lovely. :-) I made potholders with a loom too, but mine was plastic. I loved reading about your brother fixing it for you! How sweet. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That quilt is beautiful. I've always wanted to make one of those, but don't trust my quilting abilities yet.

    Love the pineapple doily - it looks like it's in wonderful condition. And the loom is like a blast from the past. I bought my daughter one and she went crazy making potholders for a while. It's fun to see things that I did as a child being done by my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Lone Star is beautiful. I remember having a loom when I was young. I never made much with it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You star looks absolutely great!! You are such a busy bee hihi! Happy sewing, Daniëlle

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your work and sharing about little pieces of our past. It seems I made dozens of those pot holders as a child. What fun memories :).

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your Lone Star quilt! Very pretty with the applique additions, it just is very special. I made one once...out out a million little diamonds, and proceeded to stretch it way out of shape, and it ended up in the rag bag! Your doily is so pretty. I too have made those pot holders...wonder where my old loom is?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love all your interests, Karen! Your Lone Star quilt is gorgeous. The doily is wonderful. I need to get going on my Sweet Land of Liberty quilt again. (Have finished three blocks.) Wouldn't it be fun to get it done before the fourth of July?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous Lone Star! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your lone star is fabulous!
    I love the story about your brother re-making your potholder.
    I did a red metal loom post last month. I really love my new home made potholders.
    If you need any weaving help, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is a beautiful Lone Star quilt. I smiled when I read about the metal loom. I had one of those when I was younger. I made lots of pot holders for gifts on that loom. I wonder what ever happened to it?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful lone star .... I like what you did with the centre. The lone star I made had the same problem; luckily it quilted out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have never made a Lone Star -- I think I'm a little intimidated to tell the truth. Yours is beautiful, and I love the pooch solution.

    I cannot remember how many of those potholders I made as a kid -- my mother always acted pleased and surprised when I gave her another one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Karen, your Lone Star is gorgeous..

    Oh my word - you brought back a memory for me - thank you. Potholders - how many did I make? TOO many. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  35. My dad made me one of those looms when I was little out of wood and nails. My son and daughter have both used it. In fact my son made hot pads for everyone that brought in dinners after his sister was born. I was so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success.

    ReplyDelete