A new vintage purchase. My husband and I found this jadeite green Singer sewing machine at a thrift store. It was marked $40 but the man in charge saw us looking at it and said we could have it for $30. I thought the machine had some rust on it but it turned out just to be dirt and cleaned up nicely. I still have to clean the case. The machine is metal but the case is plastic. The model number on this is 185J. I did some internet reading on the model. The machine is marked "Made in Canada". There were some made in England and they are marked 185K. The machines were made from 1955 to 1963. I haven't checked the serial number yet to see when this one was manufactured. The machines replaced the Singer 99 model but was basically the same machine. Both were considered "work horses". The machine is smaller than a regular sewing machine and is considered a 3/4 machine. Not as small as a Singer Featherweight. I read some comments from people who have one of the 185 model and how well it sews denims and upholstery fabrics. One man says he uses one in his upholstery business. I don't know yet how well my purchase sews as I don't have a bobbin to go in it. I have just ordered some. I do know that the machine runs.
I am working on a Miss Rosie pattern called "Come On-A My House" The pattern has house blocks, tree blocks, and an assortment of star blocks. It can be laid out however the maker chooses. I know my set-up for cutting isn't not ideal. It works for me since I cannot stand up to a table for cutting. I have fabrics on the floor beside me, on my little table, and on the sewing machine. It is a little cloudy here today, so I did not get a good picture. I broke my favorite big ruler and will need to replace it. I haven't needed it for this quilt, though.
I am using a variety of Kansas Troubles fabrics. Most are from a box full of fabric I purchased from Carol of Brown Quilts when she was cleaning out from her fabric stash. I added in any pieces that I had in my stash and have way more than I need for this quilt. It will make a big dent, though.
I received a surprise package in the mail from Pam, a fellow blogger. It contained a Bareroots kit for a candle mat. A perfect design for July with the stars and very prim style looking. She also sent me a thimble from her area of California. It is so good to get those kind of surprises in the mail! Thank you, Pam!
A finish on a quilt. I call this one "Hemminghouse Baskets" as I used a Moda Hemming House layer cake for making the baskets. I had a few fat quarters of the same fabric in my stash and a large piece of the fabric used for the sashing and strips between rows. The tans are fabrics from my stash. I had a couple pieces of background fabric in my stash that went well with the layer cake and used that too. I see that I got a shadow from a chair on the quilt. I am home alone so no quilt holder upper to assist me.
This is the back of the quilt. I made some extra basket blocks for a strip down the back. I had the quilt machine quilted at my local quilt shop with an all over feather design.
Enjoy your weekend. I will be heading into the sewing room shortly. I want to finish cutting for the new quilt so I can tidy things up in there.