QUILT INFO

The quilt shown in the header is from a pattern by Ginger Cookie Company caled "Basket of Sunflowers".

Saturday, July 3, 2010

HEMMING HOUSE BASKETS COMPLETE

Happy Fourth of July to all in the USA. And a late Happy Canada Day to my Canadian friends. I have my July stitchery done and on display. It is a design from Buttermilk Basin.
A new vintage purchase. My husband and I found this jadeite green Singer sewing machine at a thrift store. It was marked $40 but the man in charge saw us looking at it and said we could have it for $30. I thought the machine had some rust on it but it turned out just to be dirt and cleaned up nicely. I still have to clean the case. The machine is metal but the case is plastic. The model number on this is 185J. I did some internet reading on the model. The machine is marked "Made in Canada". There were some made in England and they are marked 185K. The machines were made from 1955 to 1963. I haven't checked the serial number yet to see when this one was manufactured. The machines replaced the Singer 99 model but was basically the same machine. Both were considered "work horses". The machine is smaller than a regular sewing machine and is considered a 3/4 machine. Not as small as a Singer Featherweight. I read some comments from people who have one of the 185 model and how well it sews denims and upholstery fabrics. One man says he uses one in his upholstery business. I don't know yet how well my purchase sews as I don't have a bobbin to go in it. I have just ordered some. I do know that the machine runs.
I am working on a Miss Rosie pattern called "Come On-A My House" The pattern has house blocks, tree blocks, and an assortment of star blocks. It can be laid out however the maker chooses. I know my set-up for cutting isn't not ideal. It works for me since I cannot stand up to a table for cutting. I have fabrics on the floor beside me, on my little table, and on the sewing machine. It is a little cloudy here today, so I did not get a good picture. I broke my favorite big ruler and will need to replace it. I haven't needed it for this quilt, though.
I am using a variety of Kansas Troubles fabrics. Most are from a box full of fabric I purchased from Carol of Brown Quilts when she was cleaning out from her fabric stash. I added in any pieces that I had in my stash and have way more than I need for this quilt. It will make a big dent, though.
I received a surprise package in the mail from Pam, a fellow blogger. It contained a Bareroots kit for a candle mat. A perfect design for July with the stars and very prim style looking. She also sent me a thimble from her area of California. It is so good to get those kind of surprises in the mail! Thank you, Pam!
A finish on a quilt. I call this one "Hemminghouse Baskets" as I used a Moda Hemming House layer cake for making the baskets. I had a few fat quarters of the same fabric in my stash and a large piece of the fabric used for the sashing and strips between rows. The tans are fabrics from my stash. I had a couple pieces of background fabric in my stash that went well with the layer cake and used that too. I see that I got a shadow from a chair on the quilt. I am home alone so no quilt holder upper to assist me.
This is the back of the quilt. I made some extra basket blocks for a strip down the back. I had the quilt machine quilted at my local quilt shop with an all over feather design.
Enjoy your weekend. I will be heading into the sewing room shortly. I want to finish cutting for the new quilt so I can tidy things up in there.

Karen

30 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like your baskets quilt...I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your vintage machine. What a bargain! And your Hemminghouse Baskets quilt is gorgeous. I love the vertical setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little green machine...I say you had a great find!!
    OMGoodness...I not only love your basket quilt but am over the moon in love with the way you backed it! So creative and like having two! Job well done you!
    I did see that you requested that fabric from Carol...I've got oodles of it here too...ask if you run out of something I just might have it. :-)
    Happy 4th to you and quilter holder person where they have wandered off too! Hee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been a busy girl! I love your green sewing machine, so cute! What is the flag quilt you have off to the left in a couple of your pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new green machine! It's the lean, mean, green, sewing machine (sorry, couldn't resist - LOL)

    Your baskets are fabulous, Karen. Awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new vintage machine, and your basket quilt is so pretty. Enjoy the new machine!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Fourth of July to you! I think my Mom had an aqua sewing machine like the green one you have in the 60's, if my memory serves me correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that machine! I like your fabric storage wall so much I called my DH to come look at the photo. Delicious basket quilt! Karmen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your basket quilt and the back, too, Karen. The July stitchery is great, I like those primitive things very much. Nice sewing-machine, but I don't know much about them, so I dont know wether it's good or bad, sorry!
    Happy quilting, Cisca

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first visit to your blog. I am amazed to see the lot of fabric you have. It must be great to start a new quilt and just look what there is.

    I also want to gratulated you with your 200 post.

    Nice greetings,
    Willeke
    The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 4th girlfriend!!! Love your quilt. Also that great find at the thrift store--you must go always before me. Chat soon,HUgs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your basket quilt is beautiful. I love your little green machine. I have an older Singer too. It is a workhorse. I used it a few years ago to make 8 quillows. My modern machine wouldn't sew through the thicknesses, but the Singer wizzed through them. It is a 328K given to me by my MIL. Have a wonderful 4th. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your baskets quilt! And nice little gifty ;o) Enjoy your green machine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your jadeite sewing machine is a real treasure. I've been collecting jadeite for about 25 years, before it became a 'hot' item so it really makes me swoon.

    And speaking of swooning, I just love your basket quilt. Gee, Karen. Two of my favorite things in one post. My sugar level has gone through the roof with all this wonderful eye candy today!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your new green sewing machine - what a find! congratulations!
    The little basket blocks are soo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stitchery is a cute one, and love your basket quilt. I love how you have done the strip of baskets on the back, it gives the quilt such character!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Fourth of July Karen! I love your Hemming House quilt. I fell in love with that range of fabric as soon as I saw it. The fabric you have used for the borders is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute machine! And I love your basket quilt too! Looks like you are keeping plenty busy! ;-) Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another machine! I've never seen that color. Oh, I really like the basket quilt! ... and the extra baskets on the back.

    I've been "un-sewing" today... that RWB wall-haning. arrrrrrggghhhh.

    Have a great weekend, Karen.

    ...Karen

    and I like your July stitchery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much loveliness!! I am really in love with your stitchery! You find the coolest patterns.
    Your strippy basket is really fantastic too!!
    It sure sounds like a good deal on the sewing machine too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your "new" machine - such a pretty color! I love the old Singers so much. Love your stitchery too, it turned out just darling!
    I'm in total awe of your fabric on the shelves. What a great system and stash.
    Nice gift from Pam, love the pattern! And your basket quilt is AMAZING, love the colors and and the back. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hemminghouse Baskets is lovely - the fabric you used for sashing just looks wonderful with the baskets.

    Happy 4th July.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen love your new basket quilt, great job!
    the choice of fabrics are perfect.
    what a cute sewing machine, I haven't seen a green one before, what a buy for $#0.
    good for you finishing July Banner in time to use it this month!
    Kathie
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your basket quilt! I have one of those on my to-do list, yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful, wonderful quilt finish. I love the way you did the back.

    And a great Bareroots pattern, too. I can't wait to see that one finished!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cool machine and a great price!! The basket quilt is fabulous, I love the layout and the fabrics and everything :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy 4th! I love how organized your stash is!
    Love the basket quilt. I'm going to try to make my backings more interesting. I have made quite a few scrap backs, but with a little more effort, I could make them a lot nicer looking, like your basket blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great basket quilt! A nice variety of baskets to look at. What a pretty sewing machine you have! And what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have the same exact green machine. I bought it for $10 at a yard sale. It is a workhorse. Runs like a charm. When I had it serviced, the sewing machine repairman told me it had many, many years left in it. I use it to sew mohair teddy bears. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Karen, about my green lamp that matches my green machine . . . I painted it. It was black.

    ReplyDelete